PP: Gophers’ QB Mitch Leidner heads to minicamp with Baltimore Ravens

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Former Gophers quarterback Mitch Leidner confirmed he’s headed to the Baltimore Ravens’ minicamp next weekend, while his go-to receiver Drew Wolitarsky is headed to the Vikings’ minicamp.

Leidner, who wasn’t picked in the NFL Draft that concluded Saturday evening, decided to wait a bit and weigh his best options, he shared with the Pioneer Press on Sunday morning.

Leidner, of Lakeville, was projected to slip out of the draft’s seven rounds, but at 6-foot-2 and 226 pounds, he holds some intrigue for franchises.

“Leidner has NFL size and has some traits that warrant a trip to camp,” said Lance Zierlein at NFL.com. “But he lacks timing, decision-making and confidence as a passer. … In the end, he’s more likely a camp invite than legitimate NFL backup.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/3...dner-heads-to-minicamp-with-baltimore-ravens/

Go Gophers!!

In the Irony department, it looks like the Western Michigan QB is also going to the Ravens as an undrafted free-agent signing.

I'm anxious to see what the new coaches will be able to do to develop quarterbacks.

Mitch should have developed more than he did. If he had a QB coach for all 5 years it might have helped, basically he had Decker for 2 years.

Mitch should have developed more than he did. If he had a QB coach for all 5 years it might have helped, basically he had Decker for 2 years.
I assume you meant Weber.

It would have been awesome if he had Decker for two years. He would have hauled in many of Mitch's passes.

Jeez. All the Leidner-bashing on here is depressing.

Here is what Mitch Leidner did: he played FB for the Gophers. He didn't play as well as some people hoped or wanted.

Here is what Mitch Leidner DIDN'T do: he didn't punch his girlfriend, or get accused of mistreating puppies. He didn't flunk out. He didn't get arrested. He didn't flunk a drug test. He didn't tear up a picture of the Pope. He didn't get his term papers written by Jan Ganglehoff.

Mitch Leidner represented the U of M to the best of his ability. His best wasn't good enough for a lot of people. So they feel the need to criticize him, even after his Gopher career has ended.

Let it go. Please, just let it go.

This fall, there will be a bunch of new Gopher players for you to second-guess and criticize. And you will.

Here is what Mitch Leidner did: he played FB for the Gophers. He didn't play as well as some people hoped or wanted.

Here is what Mitch Leidner DIDN'T do: he didn't punch his girlfriend, or get accused of mistreating puppies. He didn't flunk out. He didn't get arrested. He didn't flunk a drug test. He didn't tear up a picture of the Pope. He didn't get his term papers written by Jan Ganglehoff.

Mitch Leidner represented the U of M to the best of his ability. His best wasn't good enough for a lot of people. So they feel the need to criticize him, even after his Gopher career has ended.

This fall, there will be a bunch of new Gopher players for you to second-guess and criticize. And you will.

so now we are complimenting/praising individuals for obeying the rules...don't want to start a controversy, but is that not what is expected by humankind.

This.

so now we are complimenting/praising individuals for obeying the rules...don't want to start a controversy, but is that not what is expected by humankind.

No he was just making a comment that Mitch is an amateur athlete who represented the University well off the field and is upset (as am I) that we still find the need to belittle him every chance we get. The guy bleeds maroon and gold and played his heart out each and every game. I hope at some point he gets the respect he deserves.

No he was just making a comment that Mitch is an amateur athlete who represented the University well off the field and is upset (as am I) that we still find the need to belittle him every chance we get. The guy bleeds maroon and gold and played his heart out each and every game. I hope at some point he gets the respect he deserves.

Agree!

I still think he may be the toughest Gopher FB player I've ever seen. He has shortcomings, but damn was he tough.

I still think he may be the toughest Gopher FB player I've ever seen. He has shortcomings, but damn was he tough.

Agreed and maybe that is why many of us felt/feel the need to defend his from some of the criticisms. I want to see all the gopher players succeed, but because of the naysayers I was really hoping that Mitch could have gone out with a really good senior season.

Agreed and maybe that is why many of us felt/feel the need to defend his from some of the criticisms. I want to see all the gopher players succeed, but because of the naysayers I was really hoping that Mitch could have gone out with a really good senior season.

I am guilty of bashing Mitch and I now can see it wasn't his fault that he was projected to be a first round draft pick, it wasn't he who came up with the ridiculous Leidner Island, it wasn't he who started him for 4 years. I think it was his shortcomings in throwing game losing interceptions that frustrated so many of us. Again, he was tough and he played the best he could. Can't really fault him for that. I wish him the best with the Ravens and appologize to him for bashing a Gopher.

I am guilty of bashing Mitch and I now can see it wasn't his fault that he was projected to be a first round draft pick, it wasn't he who came up with the ridiculous Leidner Island, it wasn't he who started him for 4 years. I think it was his shortcomings in throwing game losing interceptions that frustrated so many of us. Again, he was tough and he played the best he could. Can't really fault him for that. I wish him the best with the Ravens and appologize to him for bashing a Gopher.

I think everyone wishes him the best. He certainly played to the best of his ability. And he gutted through a lot and stuck with the program, all admirable qualities. It's also not his fault the previous staff couldn't find a more qualified player to start over him. I'd love to see him become an all-pro. I'm just not going to bet a penny on it...

He was also arguably the best QB in the modern history of the program. That's not saying a ton, but no Gopher QB won more or has put up notably better stats across the board. Only Asad and perhaps Weber are in the conversation when you look at the numbers. Foggie apologists should note that he was a sub-50% passer and had a 33-32 career TD/INT ratio.

Plus he carried himself well through coaching changes, injuries, Kill's health woes, the boycott, the unfair "first rounder" expectations, and more. All during the social media and message boards era. Lay off Mitch. Good luck in Baltimore or wherever he lands.

Very well said.

It seems the Vikings like to dabble with local Wide Receivers, perhaps to sell a few extra pre season tickets. The question is, will Wolitarsky's NFL career fall closer to Adam Thielen or Ryan Hoag?

Pulling for Mitch to make the Ravens

He was also arguably the best QB in the modern history of the program. That's not saying a ton, but no Gopher QB won more or has put up notably better stats across the board. Only Asad and perhaps Weber are in the conversation when you look at the numbers. Foggie apologists should note that he was a sub-50% passer and had a 33-32 career TD/INT ratio.

Plus he carried himself well through coaching changes, injuries, Kill's health woes, the boycott, the unfair "first rounder" expectations, and more. All during the social media and message boards era. Lay off Mitch. Good luck in Baltimore or wherever he lands.

Good Luck in Baltimore, Mr Leidner, perhaps the 49'rs will need a QB if the Baltimore invitation doesn't work out. He has the physical tools to make it at the next level, now it is just putting it all together.

Good luck to Mitch. He represented U of M football to the best of his abilities, both on the field and off. A class act, who now has a shot to make an NFL roster. Wish him nothing but the best.

Mitch should have left us last year!

As crazy as it may seem, he should have come out after his junior year. He would have certainly been drafted! Even though he wasn't ready.

As far as him being tough, that is a fact.

His leg was destroyed his entire Junior year and he played through it! I have a friend who actually saw his leg that year who will vow for him. The Gophers kept that quit so he wasn't a target, but he can play through pain.

Haven't heard if he is open to playing Tight End in the NFL, but wouldn't surprise me. He has the physical metrics to do it just like the quarterback who played prior to him at the U.

Top Bottom