Billy D on Pitino at U: If they wrap their arms around him he'd stay for a long time

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

In town for the final regular-season game against the Timberwolves, Oklahoma City Thunder coach Billy Donovan lauded his former assistant at Florida, Richard Pitino, now coach of the Gophers.

“(At Minnesota), he had to start all over again,” Donovan said. “I know Norwood (Teague, ex-Gophers athletics director who hired Pitino), and when Norwood stepped down, there probably were some things set in place that had been agreed upon — travel, things like that — that didn’t come out very well. It was really just unfortunate. Richard’s a terrific coach, and I hope people here realize how good a coach he is.

“We talk, and I know this in talking to him, that he loves living here, he loves the university, the fan support, the people. If they wrap their arms around him, I think he’d want to stay here for a long time.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/29/charley-walters-vikings-should-get-a-grade-of-a-for-draft/

Go Gophers!!

Translation: If you give him a big contract extension he might stay.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Translation: If you give him a big contract extension he might stay.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Or...contrary to the belief of some on here...he might not just be using this job as a stepping stone and may actually be trying to build something for the long haul.

I believe this to be true. If he could win the Big Ten and go deep into the tournament in the next few years, this town would be rocking. He would have built it from zero. Why would he want to leave? (Assuming commensurate salary.). Maybe I'm dreaming. But I have the resources and skills to live anywhere I want. I have chosen here. It wouldn't shock me if someone else felt the same way.

It is kind of telling that his name was not brought up in coaching hires this year after all the success they had. Very possible he made it known he wasn't interested in leaving.

It is kind of telling that his name was not brought up in coaching hires this year after all the success they had. Very possible he made it known he wasn't interested in leaving.

It was in terms of media speculation (for whatever that's worth, but often times coaches' agents plant those stories) with the NC State and Georgetown jobs. Now, reality may have been there was a zero percent chance the ADs hiring for those respective positions had interest in Pitino, but his name was definitely brought up.

...but his name was definitely brought up.

I'll wager that there will be several stealthy contacts with our coach this winter gauging his interest in other opportunities. However, as I've said before, I don't think our coach will leave this program until Amir Coffey and Isiah Washington have come and gone. I do think our coach will move on to 'bigger and better' as soon as those two studs complete their tenure at the Barn. I'm predicting a couple years of stellar NCAA Tourney success before all of those guys move on. Let's enjoy the ride!

I'll wager that there will be several stealthy contacts with our coach this winter gauging his interest in other opportunities. However, as I've said before, I don't think our coach will leave this program until Amir Coffey and Isiah Washington have come and gone. I do think our coach will move on to 'bigger and better' as soon as those two studs complete their tenure at the Barn. I'm predicting a couple years of stellar NCAA Tourney success before all of those guys move on. Let's enjoy the ride!

In the next two recruiting classes he is going to bring in players that are as good or better than Coffey and Washington. He will want to stay with them just as much as he will want to stay with Coffey and Washington. This will continue for years to come.

I believe this to be true. If he could win the Big Ten and go deep into the tournament in the next few years, this town would be rocking. He would have built it from zero. Why would he want to leave? (Assuming commensurate salary.). Maybe I'm dreaming. But I have the resources and skills to live anywhere I want. I have chosen here. It wouldn't shock me if someone else felt the same way.

I tend to agree with Jake. It isn't always about the money and it is often about the wife. If she is happy here and has friends and if he is continuing to have success, there may not be many better jobs in the country with the new facilities. They would have to pay him the market rate, of course. Assuming that the program is on an upward trajectory and the Duke job opens up, why would Pitino want to follow a legend? You want to follow the guy who is stupid enough to follow the legend. Same with North Carolina. Plus, the NCAA is going to have to nail them eventually. Right? Maybe? Ok, maybe not. Succeeding pop in L-ville might not be the best thing for his career. MSU? Is Ms. P. going to want to live in East Lansing? I'm not known for wearing rose colored glasses but if he can get some traction going here, there aren't many better situations going forward.

I moved here a long time ago and I absolutely hate winter, but I never left. Too many other good things about the place. My story isn't unique.

I tend to agree with Jake. It isn't always about the money and it is often about the wife. If she is happy here and has friends and if he is continuing to have success, there may not be many better jobs in the country with the new facilities. They would have to pay him the market rate, of course. Assuming that the program is on an upward trajectory and the Duke job opens up, why would Pitino want to follow a legend? You want to follow the guy who is stupid enough to follow the legend. Same with North Carolina. Plus, the NCAA is going to have to nail them eventually. Right? Maybe? Ok, maybe not. Succeeding pop in L-ville might not be the best thing for his career. MSU? Is Ms. P. going to want to live in East Lansing? I'm not known for wearing rose colored glasses but if he can get some traction going here, there aren't many better situations going forward.

I moved here a long time ago and I absolutely hate winter, but I never left. Too many other good things about the place. My story isn't unique.

I could have written this post.

Was just reflecting on something this weekend. There are so damn many things to do in this city and state, it's almost a dilemma, but it's a nice dilemma to have. East Lansing would not be the same.

And why should I believe anything that comes out of Billy Donovan's mouth?

lol wut

This is a great place to race a young family with vibrant arts, entertainment, sports, and culinary delights.

For any young coach who can build a successful program, why leave? Wives may have a say in the decision, but not always the case.

If PJF and Richard P can put together a string of titles, the poachers are going to be busy.

He really doesn't have to recruit out of state right now, I'm sure he will get some out of state players but a recruiting class of Oturu, Jones, Kalschuer, and Thompson with the existing players would contend for a B1G title in a couple of years.

I'm not known for wearing rose colored glasses but if he can get some traction going here, there aren't many better situations going forward.

That is one hell of a quote... in fact, it is the epitome of rose colored to say "there aren't many better situations going forward." Do you think you could canvas the 300 D1 coaches and ask them to rank their dream coaching situations and find this job on the list? Let's be clear, Coach Pitino is in the midst of turning this program around - I'm loving it/ecstatic about it - and in due time he will move on to a even better situation.

I'll stand by the thought that if Pitino leaves it's to a blue blood. If a blue blood comes calling it means we've had quite a bit of success and there would be a good amount of talent left behind. The Big Ten is fairly consistently a top 3 conference in the country. If you are competing for Big Ten titles it would have to be a special program to leave. Let him make a long run in the tournament and then I'll start to worry.

That is one hell of a quote... in fact, it is the epitome of rose colored to say "there aren't many better situations going forward." Do you think you could canvas the 300 D1 coaches and ask them to rank their dream coaching situations and find this job on the list? Let's be clear, Coach Pitino is in the midst of turning this program around - I'm loving it/ecstatic about it - and in due time he will move on to a even better situation.

Thanks for the info. Good to know.

My point is that if he can build a good recruiting pipeline, and he seems to have something started now, there may not be many "even better situations."

My point is that if he can build a good recruiting pipeline, and he seems to have something started now, there may not be many "even better situations."

I agree wholeheartedly that Coach Pitino has established a nice pipeline of talent. Talent wins games.

Not sure I agree that he "had to start all over again" or that he built it from zero (it's not like we were Rutgers), but he certainly did a great job last year and recruiting has been very solid. If he can make last years success a consistent thing then I don't see why he would leave for anything less than a top ten job assuming he gets a nice raise sometime in the next year or two. Pitino has a lot going for him here with some highly rated recruits in his backyard (at least in recent years) and the soon to be completed facilities. Also appears to have a good relationship with Coyle. Not many reasons to leave as long as the money is right.

He is not going anywhere again! This is the big ten. He has had success recruiting here and new facilities what more does he want.

He is not going anywhere again! This is the big ten. He has had success recruiting here and new facilities what more does he want.

TheMetroTheFaust knows him personally, so he has all that stuff figured out. Ask him.

Florida was no great shakes when Billy D went there. The only success they had was with Lon Kruger who bailed for Illinois. He built it into a top 15 program and turned down a chance to go to Kentucky and likely several others.

In the next two recruiting classes he is going to bring in players that are as good or better than Coffey and Washington. He will want to stay with them just as much as he will want to stay with Coffey and Washington. This will continue for years to come.

Exactly. If he can get those two coming off the worst season in program history, why would he bail coming off a Sweet 16 or better?

TheMetroTheFaust knows him personally, so he has all that stuff figured out. Ask him.

That is a funny quip, well done. You shoot those at a very high percentage, I like it.
Anyway, I love the rebound we've had here with this program and I hope it gets to Badger or Spartan level, with or without Pitino running the show. I simply do not think the new facilities and great arts in this town are going to keep a young guy up here in the frozen tundra if/when the phone starts to ring. I believe I'm entitled to my projection, no?

I'd like to take personal advantage of your nonpareil clairvoyance. Will you give me the Powerball numbers for Wednesday night? Help a brother out.

That is a funny quip, well done. You shoot those at a very high percentage, I like it.
Anyway, I love the rebound we've had here with this program and I hope it gets to Badger or Spartan level, with or without Pitino running the show. I simply do not think the new facilities and great arts in this town are going to keep a young guy up here in the frozen tundra if/when the phone starts to ring. I believe I'm entitled to my projection, no?

Does this hold true for all industries? For instance chemistry or any STEM field, where there are plenty of jobs in Florida or California? I can't believe any young person would want to work at 3M/ecolab etc. when they are in such a frozen tundra (Sarcasm).

Minnesota is a Sleeping Giant in all sports. Pitino has the opportunity to be John Wooden if he stays here. The Regents seem to be getting on board, let's keep them on board. Dominating sports programs will make the U an even greater institution.

Top Bottom