How Far We Have Come!

Skage

Reaction score

In watching NFL Draft coverage, have any of you noticed that highlights of Big Ten players being drafted are not from Minnesota games - at least not many??? It wasn't that long ago when that wasn't the case.
Another indicator of how far this program has come over the last few years.

Go Gophers!

Three 8+ wins seasons in the last four years and highly ranked defenses in each of those years will have that effect.

I have also noticed that there are no highlights of any Gopher games from players that were taken from Minnesota. Although I didn't watch the first round so I will assume Leidner has already been drafted.

There was a USD Chris Streveler sighting yesterday when a Youngstown St DE was taken.

I have also noticed that there are no highlights of any Gopher games from players that were taken from Minnesota. Although I didn't watch the first round so I will assume Leidner has already been drafted.

I take it you did better and played in the NFL and are part of about the 1% you make it to the NFL?

Mitch was ranked as the 523rd best player so he will be taken somewhere in the 16th round. As the 23rd best qb he was ranked one spot ahead of Zach Terrell, so he has that going for him.

I will never forget reading this, "Mitch Leidner is a first round draft pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. Don't blame me, that's the opinion of ESPN NFL talking head Todd McShay. No really, I'm serious. Todd McShay wrote a thing on the internet today that says Dallas should take Mitch Leidner at #25. He also says Mitch is a "late riser" like recent 1st round picks Blake Bortles and Carson Wentz."

McShay should never again be allowed to comment on talent.

Mitch was ranked as the 523rd best player so he will be taken somewhere in the 16th round. As the 23rd best qb he was ranked one spot ahead of Zach Terrell, so he has that going for him.

I will never forget reading this, "Mitch Leidner is a first round draft pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. Don't blame me, that's the opinion of ESPN NFL talking head Todd McShay. No really, I'm serious. Todd McShay wrote a thing on the internet today that says Dallas should take Mitch Leidner at #25. He also says Mitch is a "late riser" like recent 1st round picks Blake Bortles and Carson Wentz."

McShay should never again be allowed to comment on talent.

There is a reason he works for ESPN and not for an NFL team.

There is a reason he works for ESPN and not for an NFL team.

Mitch already has a job? He better watch out, ESPN will fire anyone, even kids right out of college.

So the thread topic here is that the Gophers appear getting torched less in highlights of draftees and that is proof of how far we have come. I've heard of glass full, but holy crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You just have to rain on our parade don't you.

Not at all, just poking fun at the so called experts and at myself for buying into the hype. I was extremely excited at how much publicity Leidner was getting before last season started. It only took the opening drive against Oregon St for me to realize I bought into a lemon as our QB. The so called experts are just that, so called.

So the thread topic here is that the Gophers appear getting torched less in highlights of draftees and that is proof of how far we have come. I've heard of glass full, but holy crap.

How Old are you? Apparently you did not see Michigan beat JKs second team here 58-3, or watch Michigan, OSU and Nebraska run up huge scores on us for 20 years. For many long time Goph fans the defense we have put on the field the last 4 years has been a big deal, even if the offense was pedestrian.
After you have blown a 28 point lead because you don't have a pass rush or dbacks, holding people under 30 feels real good.
No one is saying, we have arrived, but no one has to shut their eyes every time the other team passes anymore.

How Old are you? Apparently you did not see Michigan beat JKs second team here 58-3, or watch Michigan, OSU and Nebraska run up huge scores on us for 20 years. For many long time Goph fans the defense we have put on the field the last 4 years has been a big deal, even if the offense was pedestrian.
After you have blown a 28 point lead because you don't have a pass rush or dbacks, holding people under 30 feels real good.
No one is saying, we have arrived, but no one has to shut their eyes every time the other team passes anymore.

So now I'm down on where the team is? Never said we hadn't made progress - especially on D. Pretty sure folks have noticed my appreciation for TC on here. What I was saying is that seeing less Gopher low-lights while watching the draft is looking a bit deep at things and isn't an indication of anything specific. Thanks for the misery recap tho.

So now I'm down on where the team is? Never said we hadn't made progress - especially on D. Pretty sure folks have noticed my appreciation for TC on here. What I was saying is that seeing less Gopher low-lights while watching the draft is looking a bit deep at things and isn't an indication of anything specific. Thanks for the misery recap tho.

TC = Ted Cruz. He lost man. Get over it.

No Ohio State and Michigan last year helps but I get the point.

In watching NFL Draft coverage, have any of you noticed that highlights of Big Ten players being drafted are not from Minnesota games - at least not many??? It wasn't that long ago when that wasn't the case.
Another indicator of how far this program has come over the last few years.

Go Gophers!

On a related note, I wonder if the Gophers are the selected homecoming opponent as often as they once were? Are the Gophers a less popular choice now that they are more consistently good?

Yeah, I guess I would be more impressed if I saw a bunch of Gophers getting drafted...

3 different FCS programs (Eastern Washington, Youngstown State, Villanova) managed to have 2 players drafted this year while the Gophers managed one. I would think the overwhelming takeaway from this draft would be negative in regards to how far "we" have come. PJ Fleck had 3 guys drafted from Western Michigan. Wisconsin had 3 picks (two first rounders) and Iowa 4. This program has a long ways to go in terms of finding/developing NFL draft picks

3 different FCS programs (Eastern Washington, Youngstown State, Villanova) managed to have 2 players drafted this year while the Gophers managed one. I would think the overwhelming takeaway from this draft would be negative in regards to how far "we" have come. PJ Fleck had 3 guys drafted from Western Michigan. Wisconsin had 3 picks (two first rounders) and Iowa 4. This program has a long ways to go in terms of finding/developing NFL draft picks

Obviously we haven't gotten to where we want to be yet, but it is an humorously interesting take. It is better not seeing your team in everybody's highlight films.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very good Spoofin!!

Obviously we haven't gotten to where we want to be yet, but it is an humorously interesting take. It is better not seeing your team in everybody's highlight films.

I gotta admit that I was watching those highlights hoping I wouldn't see anything against the Gophs. Dreams do come true I guess.... yay we've made it!! LOL. Just like not being scheduled for opponents homecomings.... progess is being made one small shuffle at a time.

I saw a highlight where Jehu Chesson caught a TD against us and another where a PSU WR caught a pass when covered by Myrick...so do we still suck now? Please let me know how many plays against us means we are good and how many means we suck? I live for this type of in-depth analysis on GH. /s

I saw a highlight where Jehu Chesson caught a TD against us and another where a PSU WR caught a pass when covered by Myrick...so do we still suck now? Please let me know how many plays against us means we are good and how many means we suck? I live for this type of in-depth analysis on GH. /s

Zero means we've made it and will be Nat champs within 2 years. 1-4 means B1G Champs within 3 years. 5-9 means west div champs within 5 years. 10+ means bottom feeder forever.

I'm surprised you didn't know this. Where have you been?

Getting players drafted into the NFL is an indication of a team's talent level - and I understand that a lot of guys play D1 FB looking to make it into the NFL.

BUT - the #1 measure of a college FB team's success is games won and lost. The Gophers won 9 games last year and won a bowl game. If the Gophers went 6-6 and had 3 or 4 players drafted, would that have been a "better" season. I would say HELL NO!

In fact, if a team wins 9 games and has only 1 player drafted, I could say that indicates the coaches did a good job with lesser talent compared to other programs.

Yeah, I guess I would be more impressed if I saw a bunch of Gophers getting drafted...

Well, it would certainly make the "the cupboard is bare" argument more convincing.

Right now the argument is, we should have low expectations this year because we lost a lot of talent from the 9-4 team and our old staff couldn't develop players. . . look at the draft.

I'm not saying youre one of the people who argues that the cupboard is bare, I can't keep those people straight, but it's the new illogical version of GH.

Top Bottom