Reusse: Three Iowans Give #4 Gopher Softball an Edge

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/three-io...lout-and-a-second-reliable-starter/420793033/

The Gophers lead the Big Ten at 17-1, 46-3 overall after a 8-0 win over Purdue on Friday and are rated No. 4 in the country. Before routing the Boilermakers, their three most recent Big Ten victories were a three-game sweep of the Hawkeyes that included a record crowd of 1,383 on Sunday at Jane Sage Cowles Field.

Sydney Dwyer, a Gophers junior from Bettendorf, Iowa, playing at first base this season, was 4-for-9 in the series with two RBI. Kendyl Lindaman, a freshman catcher from Ankeny, Iowa, was 3-for-7 with a home run and two RBI.

And, the winning pitcher on Saturday was Amber Fiser, a freshman from Van Horne, Iowa. She’s now 11-0 with a 1.61 ERA, as the second starter to Sara Groenewegen, the senior ace for the Gophers.

“We love Iowa kids,” Allister said. “We have two more coming for next season: Macy Gill, a utility player, and Rachel Lowary, a pitcher who also plays in the field.

“Iowa is unique in that it plays the high school seasons for softball and baseball in the summer. Those kids get to play a lot of games in warm weather, and it’s not that long of a drive for us to get down there to watch them."

I know this has been something of a sore-spot for Iowa softball fans. Lots of quality Iowans are making an impact all around the country and aren't staying home to play for the Hawkeyes. This year, we have three and next season we get two more. There also seems to be a feeling that Looper doesn't focus recruiting Iowa kids very much, which is strange to me. I would think that any coach at a Division I school would make recruiting in-state kids a top priority, regardless of what sport it may be.

I know this has been something of a sore-spot for Iowa softball fans. Lots of quality Iowans are making an impact all around the country and aren't staying home to play for the Hawkeyes. This year, we have three and next season we get two more. There also seems to be a feeling that Looper doesn't focus recruiting Iowa kids very much, which is strange to me. I would think that any coach at a Division I school would make recruiting in-state kids a top priority, regardless of what sport it may be.

It's really hard to stomach for Iowa fans. Blevins didn't recruit Iowa terribly hard but pulled in about every girl she did offer from the state. If Looper was winning and not recruiting the state, it would obviously be much different. Safe to say Looper needs to go.

Top Bottom