LB Mariano Sori-Marin Commits to Gophers!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Has only played 5 games the last two years if you're wondering about rating and offers.

per Greder:

The Gophers received an oral commitment Friday night from Mariano Sori-Marin, a 6-foot-2, 223-pound outside linebacker, he announced on Twitter.

“I’m extremely honored to announce that I will be continuing my education and playing Big 10 football at the University of Minnesota!” Sori-Marin tweeted. “Thank you, Coach (P.J.) Fleck and the rest of the coaching staff. Row the Boat! Ski U Mah!”

Sori-Marin, of New Lenox, Ill., is the 13th pledge in the Gophers 2018 recruiting class. He had other offers from Ivy League schools such as Harvard, Yale, Penn, Cornell as well as Western Illinois.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/28/gophers-receive-oral-commitment-from-illinois-linebacker/

Go Gophers!!

per Joe:

The Gophers added their 13th verbal commitment for the class of 2018 on Friday night, when Mariano Sori-Marin, a linebacker from New Lenox (Ill.) Providence Catholic, announced he was picking Minnesota.

The 6-3, 227-pound Sori-Marin had reported offers from Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Brown and Penn, among others. He is rated as a three-star recruit by 247Sports.

http://www.startribune.com/illinois-lb-mariano-sori-marin-commits-to-gophers/420795673/

Go Gophers!!

There has been no shortage of positive press about the Gophers early recruiting and high ranking position. So far all 3 star recruits. Last year we finished with 25 3 star and 0 4 star and above on 247. Class rank was 58. Are we not heading for that type of finish again? Not trolling or trying to agitate folks but should we be expecting a class ranking higher than the Kill era with all that we have heard about Fleck's recruiting?

There has been no shortage of positive press about the Gophers early recruiting and high ranking position. So far all 3 star recruits. Last year we finished with 25 3 star and 0 4 star and above on 247. Class rank was 58. Are we not heading for that type of finish again? Not trolling or trying to agitate folks but should we be expecting a class ranking higher than the Kill era with all that we have heard about Fleck's recruiting?

Pay attention. YOU are bringing the class rank down.

Nice response. Not claiming to have any expertise on rankings and fully understand it is still somewhat early and all athletes develop can develop differently than the star number applied to them. My simple observation is that Fleck appears to have filled about half of his class with all three stars. That is not significantly different from Kill's efforts. If we do not see a higher caliber of athlete commit are we not going to end up where we historically have been and if so, how would that be viewed considering what we been sold on Fleck and the impact of the Village, etc.

I want a great class to come in and I like Fleck. I was hoping we'd get someone like him after Kill left. Only asking a question on what the identifiable difference is to this point on a half filled recruiting class...

Nice response. Not claiming to have any expertise on rankings and fully understand it is still somewhat early and all athletes develop can develop differently than the star number applied to them. My simple observation is that Fleck appears to have filled about half of his class with all three stars. That is not significantly different from Kill's efforts. If we do not see a higher caliber of athlete commit are we not going to end up where we historically have been and if so, how would that be viewed considering what we been sold on Fleck and the impact of the Village, etc.

I want a great class to come in and I like Fleck. I was hoping we'd get someone like him after Kill left. Only asking a question on what the identifiable difference is to this point on a half filled recruiting class...
Its not how they rank coming in its how they play when here. Some things just arent in the numbers. This kid is high character with limited exposure but high talent when he was on the field. I say very limited risk on this kid with high potential top end.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If they only add 3-stars from here on out, sure.

These 3-stars are better than previous 3-stars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Mariano. I love to see Ivy League offers.

You have to take the time to dig a little deeper on the players.

Each year, there are about 0.9% 5 stars, 8.5% 4 stars, 50.9% 3 stars and 39.7% 2 stars. That is about 1,700-1,800 3 stars each year. Obvious not all 3 star recruits are the same. PJ has been getting more recruits that other P5 schools want. If you are competing with P5 schools instead of MAC schools then it can be assumed you are getting higher 3 star recruits.

Also, each year there are only about 30 5 star and 300 4 star recruits. Most schools fill there roster with 3 star recruits. The trick is finding the best.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...for-college-football-recruits-really-mean.amp

If the coaches saw him in person and he's as athletic as they say, and he obviously loves to hit then he'll probably be a pretty good player.

That said, it seems to be another Kill/Claeys-type recruit; under recruited with a deep desire and chip on the shoulder. It has to rankle the stargazers, rankers, and compositers just a little bit. His senior campaign will be interesting to watch - seems ripe for a re-rate similar to Sapp if he dominates and all will be well in the world.

Smart kid...great attitude...will contribute...and will be ready to RTB! SkiUMah

So here's the difference. Under Kill and Claeys, we'd have 4 to 5 commits come August and we'd have classes chocked full of 3 star guys with MAC offers. This year we have half the class committed in April, full of 3 stars with multiple p5 offers. The 4 star players that will commit this year haven't yet. Either because they just haven't committed to anyone yet or this staff was behind in recruiting them because they just got to Minny. This years class will be ranked in the 30s.

That said, K&C found multiple studs in the guys they signed. Their ability to mold athletes into legit players cannot be questioned (well except OLine and QB). Whether current staff can do that is still to be seen.

I'll give you a direct answer. If we don't get any four stars yes, the ranking will be similar to a Kill type class.

Pretty impressive speed and athleticism for his size. Has a highlight video where he plays wr, rb, punt returner, and ss.

I'll give you a direct answer. If we don't get any four stars yes, the ranking will be similar to a Kill type class.

+1

Although the other responses were more amusing.

Top Bottom