Sid Hartman: Former Gopher Fruechte in line for more playing time with Vikings

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Both coach Mike Zimmer and offensive coordinator Pat Shumur have mentioned former Gophers receiver and current Vikings wideout Isaac Fruechte could play a much bigger role on offense and special teams in the future.

Fruechte spent most of 2015 and 2016 on the practice squad before finally getting to play in the final regular-season game last year against the Bears.

“I still like Isaac Fruechte,” Zimmer said recently. “… I think he has a chance to help us.”

With the departure of Charles Johnson (to the Panthers) and Cordarrelle Patterson (to the Raiders), Fruechte could get more playing time. He played five offensive snaps and 11 special-teams snaps against the Bears.

“I was fortunate enough to make some good plays [against the Bears],” Fruechte said. “Hopefully I can fulfill what [Zimmer] is talking about and really be a good player for them this upcoming year.”

He also talked about how being on the practice squad prepares players for regular-*season play.

“I think you gain a lot,” Fruechte said. “You’re running all the special teams, which obviously is extremely critical to the game, and then you’re going up against the [starters] in practice,” Fruechte said. “I get the privilege to go up against [cornerback] Xavier Rhodes every day and Terence Newman and Captain Munnerlyn, when he was there. Those are three of the best in the business. It does nothing but make you get better and make you grow as a player.”

Shumur said this week that he, too, thinks Fruechte has something to offer.

“I think he’s fast, I think he’s smart, we’re looking forward to him having a good offseason here,” Shurmur said. “What I saw from him a year ago was a guy who could get down the field and make a play. We’ll see how he builds on it.”

http://www.startribune.com/isaac-fruechte-in-line-for-more-playing-time-with-vikings/420681773/

Go Gophers!!

with some of the Gopher's passing game central characters finding their way on to NFL rosters, or being considered for drafting or free agent signings, it makes me wonder if the passing problems of the past 5 seasons were perhaps not as much related to personnel as I thought.

Top Bottom