Shama: Eric Curry Great Fit for 2019 Final Four

BleedGopher

Reaction score
When I saw the headline of Shama's latest column, I had much different expectations of what the article was going to be about...alas...

Per Shama:

In April of 2019 Eric Curry hopes to walk from his downtown condo to U.S. Bank Stadium and fulfill a dream. The 2019 NCAA Men’s Final Four will be played in Minneapolis on April 6 and 8, and Curry will be wrapping up 22 years as a college basketball referee.

Curry, 53, told Sports Headliners his goal is to work on the biggest college basketball stage in his hometown. “I would be lying to you if I said it wasn’t,” he said this week at Sun Country Airlines’ corporate offices in Eagan, where he is an executive vice president for customer experience and sales.

Curry flew over 100,000 miles from November through March officiating college games, mostly out West but also in the Big Ten Conference. He worked more than 60 games including his first NCAA Sweet 16 Tournament. It was a year that Curry describes as his best for high profile games that also included earlier rounds of NCAA Tournament games and before that the Mountain West Conference title game.

There were also prominent regular season games at marquee basketball schools like UCLA and Arizona in the Pac-12 Conference. Curry is grateful for all those opportunities including the NCAA Tournament. While a hoped-for first Final Four assignment is on his radar, he also keeps the goal in perspective. “I don’t think that defines me as my success in my officiating,” he said.

There is another goal regarding the NCAA Tournament that’s important to Curry. He’s the only referee from Minnesota working games during “March Madness.”

“We’ve got some guys right on the doorstep to getting in the tournament,” Curry said. “I hope the heck they do because they deserve that and the state deserves it.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I would bet dollars to donuts Shama has zero idea that there's a current Gophers basketball player named Eric Curry.

I was wondering how well his mom was doing that she could get him a downtown condo.

Click bait from Shama.

Top Bottom