Just curious.. What age are you and how long.......

Reaction score
have you been a Gopher Football fan? I'll start. I was raised a Gopher fan. My dad, God bless him,
was a fan starting in the early 30's. Our house was a " Gopher House " from the get go.
Even after the Vikings hit town. I'm 73, and I'm proud to say our 4 kids are Gopher fans, and hopefully that gets passed down to our grandkids.. I guess I want to see what the percentage is between the baby boomers, Milinium, and New Generation on the hole. Thanks for your response!

I'm 78 and began attending Gopher football games with my dad in about 1951. I enrolled at the U of M in 1956 and have been a football season ticket holder ever since--over 60 years. Needless to say, I'm one of those fans who does not stand during the games--except on exciting third down plays or to sing the Rouser.

I'm 30.....my earliest memory is Asad Abdul-Khaliq as a redshirt freshman (I didn't understand what it meant to redshirt, which is why that memory always sticks out).

I'm 43 years old. The first Gophers football game I ever remember watching was the 84-13 loss to Nebraska in 1983, when I was nine years old. For some reason that game didn't make me a fan. I became a fan in '85, when Lou Holtz and Rickey Foggie were the face of the program. My grandparents had Holtz's "Gopher Fever" album, and I loved to listen to it.

I'm 43 years old. The first Gophers football game I ever remember watching was the 84-13 loss to Nebraska in 1983, when I was nine years old. For some reason that game didn't make me a fan. I became a fan in '85, when Lou Holtz and Rickey Foggie were the face of the program. My grandparents had Holtz's "Gopher Fever" album, and I loved to listen to it.

Had to quote you. I'm 43 and that NE game was the first game I ever attended. RF14 is, to this day, my favorite Gopher of all time.

Went to U and was a season ticket holder for nearly 2 decades. My son has a Gopher room and 90% of his wardrobe is Gopher gear. My daughter is a badger fan because she likes to be oppositional. Gets that from her Mom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 31 - became a fan my freshman year at the U, so 14 years ago. I came on board in 2003 and promptly felt the highest highs (Maroney, Barber, Tapeh) and lowest lows (Michigan), and of course I was hooked from then on.

Dad started getting season tickets in the 90's. As a young grade schooler I was more of a Gopher Hockey fan, as the Coach at the time was a resident, and big celebrity in the small suburb I grew up in. He would show up at hockey camps at the local arena and I thought it was cool I was seeing this guy that's always on TV! I started getting into Gopher football as I got into High school. When I grew up and left the state I found myself even more drawn to it. I'm 35.

52. Been a Gopher fan my whole life. First game was at Memorial Stadium when Rick Upchurch and Tony Dungy were playing.

55 and I have been a Gopher fan since I can recall. My first Gopher game experience was when my Dad, a Prof at the U, took me to the Nebraska game at Memorial Stadium in 1973.

76 and I have been a Gopher fan since 1948 when Bernie Bierman was the coach. Minnesota's last two Rose Bowl trips occurred during my junior and senior years at the University.

Three generations with 7 degrees and counting from the U. Born a fan. DT#39 is my favorite player. Decker is a close second. Loved Mason as much as I hated him.

57- Graduated in 82. Was in the last Marching Band to march in the Brickhouse. I have missed 11 home games in 37 years. Proud to have my Daughter as a Freshman in the Carlson School.

That is awesome! Hope you've done homecoming at TCF.

57- Graduated in 82. Was in the last Marching Band to march in the Brickhouse. I have missed 11 home games in 37 years. Proud to have my Daughter as a Freshman in the Carlson School.

That is awesome! Hope you've done homecoming at TCF.

52, moved to Minnesota after finishing high school in Houston. Gophers were not on my radar growing up. My first year as a Gopher was Lou's first year. Joined a fraternity at the U and started to become a real big fan. Coaches son became a great friend in fraternity and have bled maroon and gold ever since.

I am 67. First game-1956, Iowa 7 Minnesota 0. There goes our chance at this thing called the Rose Bowl. I was 6 years old. The size of the crowd, the sound, the color made a huge impression on this child. The loss threw the house into a deep gloom but my interest in the Gophers was permanently fired!

Great thread! Kudos to you 70+ posters!!! It's great reading these posts from everyone! I'm 44 and started watching with my Grandfather in Duluth, MN. It was Ricky Foggie, Darrell Thompson, and Lou Holtz! I've always loved college football and would take it over pro all day everyday forever! Go Gophers! Ski U Mah and Row the Boat!!! [emoji571]?*♀️[emoji571]?*♀️[emoji571]?*♀️[emoji571]?*♀️[emoji571]?*♀️[emoji571]?*♀️

I'm 62. I became a fan after starting at the U in 81. I'm not originally from MN but my wife is. I had 8 years active duty military so I was 30 when I graduated in 85. I'm proud to say that my daughter is also a graduate and life long fan.

Great thread! I was born into it. I am 53. My earliest memory was when I was 3 or 4. Just remember some guy with the initials O.J. running wild against the Gophers. USC was pretty much my second team from there. Played for two former Gopher players(reserve players). One was an assistant coach for a (playground)
7th and 8th grade 140 and under rec. league. Second was a coach at a local Community College. Went to few games during HS. We could catch the 16(University avenue bus to the old Memorial stadium. One that I remember was 81 vs Michigan. I just remember how big Bubba Paris for Michigan was. Became a season ticket holder the last season of Jim Wacker.

http://collegefootballbelt.com/1981/1981%20Game%20Summaries/Michigan%20at%20Minnesota.htm

I'm 47 and I don't have any specific game memories that stand out more than the voice on the radio, Mr. Ray Christianson. He will always be Gopher sports to me...I miss him dearly.

I'm 81 and my family has a long and proud tradition of being Gopher fans. My grandparents, parents, brothers, and children have all been season ticket holders. My first game was the 1948 contest against undefeated Michigan which we lost 27-14. We finished 7-2 that year. The best Gopher game I ever saw was in 1960 when No. 1 Iowa came to town and we beat them 27-10. Tom Brown pushed the Iowa center back into their QB causing him to go down. The worst game was the one against Sconny at the Dome when we got that punt blocked to lose the game 38-34. We led 34-31 with 17 seconds left and our punter dropped the snap and then tried to punt. Had he just thrown the ball out of the end zone for a safety we would have won the game. Mason was asked afterwards if he had ever told the punter what to do in case he dropped the snap and he said he didn't want to give him a negative thought.

I'm 57 and attended my first Gopher game in 1970 as an 11 year old Boy Scout usher. I was a U freshman in 1977 and was also in the Marching Band.

36, MN native. B10 caliber student but not athlete & played football in the MIAC. Dad was a successful high school coach. Memories of listening to Ray and my first physical encounter was running around Bierman locker room with RF14's helmet on when I was maybe a 2nd grader during a MSHSL coaches clinic. First game was a scrub non-conference game and my Dad brought me down for homecoming game many times. My wife and I had season tix the last 2 seasons in the dump and first 3 at TCF before dropping them due to time and kid activities. Ski-U-Mah.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm 67 years old, a 1967 graduate of Preston H.S., Preston, MN. My Dad was an assistant football coach there in the 40's and coached a former Gopher Great, Phil McElroy, who just recently passed away. My Dad brought me to my first game in 1959 and we attended at least one game a year until his early death in 1966. I went on to study Music at the U and was in the U of M Marching and Concert Bands from 1967 until I graduated in the Spring of 1971. I then went on to play trombone for 10 years in the 451st Army Reserve Band at Ft. Snelling. I have been a season ticket holder for football since we moved back here from Chicago in 1984. I have also been a member of the Goal Line Club since 1984 and was President of that organization in 1994. RTB and Ski-U-Mah!

I am 51, spent my youth hunting with my Dad and brothers every Saturday with Ray Christiansen on WCCO every time we got in the car to change locations. Remember a 70's homecoming against MSU where one of the frats had a Gopher flipping off a Spartan up in the house's windows. Gave my brothers friend my ticket to the 77 game where we beat Michigan 17-0.

Fondest memory: Getting to the barn early to watch Musselman's pregame! Unicycle kid, who was on scholarship and never played. That was awesome.

I'm 25, so I guess I'm one of the young ones :p

I really didn't watch much football until I got to the U in 2010. I guess I felt more of a connection to that team, so I was more inclined to watch. Unfortunately, 2010 was a terrible season. So all my early memories are people shouting "Fire Brewster" and us getting beat by 40+. On the plus side, there was only one way but up. So I got to watch the team start from 0. It made those 5 - 6 win seasons much more acceptable in the beginning.

I watched on-and-off through college but when the Citrus Bowl came around Iceland12 convinced me to go. And I'm very thankful for that, as that was an incredible experience. And the season tickets we received as part of the package introduced us to tons of amazing people when we tailgated and went to games. Needless to say, we don't miss a game now.

I have always been a Gopher basketball fan but not always a gopher football fan. I started following the gopher football team in 2004. I am 31 years old.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Raking leaves in the back yard, smell of elm leaves burning in the crisp air, Ray's voice emanating from the little transistor radio propped up on the clothes line. Like so many others on here, it was dad's influence. He was '51 I was '81. Think my first game at Memorial was v WSU, Gophs wore those ugly mustard uniforms. Remember the UCLA game and 16-0 Michigan game and send off for Frye.

Had to quote you. I'm 43 and that NE game was the first game I ever attended. RF14 is, to this day, my favorite Gopher of all time.

Went to U and was a season ticket holder for nearly 2 decades. My son has a Gopher room and 90% of his wardrobe is Gopher gear. My daughter is a badger fan because she likes to be oppositional. Gets that from her Mom.

I'm 41 and Foggie is also my favorite Gopher of all time. Started going to games in '84. I bet Foggie would win any poll of favorite Gophers for people around our age. His injury in the OSU game at the dome absolutely crushed me.

Top Bottom