STrib: First-round draft prospect Corey Davis reflects on P.J. Fleck's influence

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck is in Philadelphia for tonight’s NFL Draft, where he’ll be ready to celebrate with former Western Michigan receiver Corey Davis, an expected first-round pick. I interviewed Davis before the draft. Here's an excerpt:

Q: What impact did P.J. have on your career?

“Coach Fleck was the only coach who believed in me, seeing as how I only had one [Division-I scholarship] offer coming out of high school. So he means a lot to me. He taught me a lot about this game, but more importantly, taught me a lot about being a man and how to handle life.”

Q. How about Matt Simon [Gophers WR coach who coached Davis at Western Michigan]?

“He’s a great person and a great coach as well. I know he comes from a very strong foundation. He talks about his father a lot and how he admired him, and I can see a lot of that in Coach Simon, just how he aspires to be like his father.”

Q. Chris Bell [a Gophers incoming recruit this summer] is a receiver who has drawn some comparisons to you, when you were recruited. What’s your take?

“I know a little bit about his game. I know he’s got great talent, and he’s got a chip on his shoulder, so I’m excited to see what he’s going to do.”

http://www.startribune.com/first-ro...-reflects-on-p-j-fleck-s-influence/420646363/

Go Gophers!!

It will be fun to see how Davis does in the pros.

Top-5 pick Corey Davis. I bet Marcus Mariota is pretty happy tonight. And I think I saw Fleck at Davis' table

Hey WRs who are Gopher recruiting prospects: PJ Fleck and his staff can make you into a top 5 pick. All you need to do is sign your Golden ticket and row the boat!

Top-5 pick Corey Davis. I bet Marcus Mariota is pretty happy tonight. And I think I saw Fleck at Davis' table

That was PJ giving him a hug and kiss.
By the way, has Mitch been taken yet?

Mitch was taken 2nd over all... Chicago gave up an arm and a leg for him! Oh, you guys mean the other QB named Mitch?!

Fifth overall. Fifth.

The last Gopher to be drafted in the Top 5 was Clayton Tonnemaker in 1950.
The last Gopher to be drafted in the Top 10 was Carl Eller in 1964.
The last Gopher to be drafted in the Top 15 was Gale Gillingham in 1966.

Turned himself from a two star recruit that basically only a couple people wanted him to a number 5 pick in the NFL. Row the Boat. He didn't know where he was going to end up but he kept working hard and let the chips fall accordingly.

Fifth overall. Fifth.

The last Gopher to be drafted in the Top 5 was Clayton Tonnemaker in 1950.
The last Gopher to be drafted in the Top 10 was Carl Eller in 1964.
The last Gopher to be drafted in the Top 15 was Gale Gillingham in 1966.

Bobby Bell was the last Gopher to be drafted in the Top 16 in 1963

Top Bottom