Q&A: Tyler Endres on Recent U Visit: It was really exciting. It was very impressive.

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Tyler Endres on Recent U Visit: It was really exciting. It was very impressive.

GopherHole Q&A: Tyler Endres on Recent U Visit: "It was really exciting. It was very impressive."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/786197?referrer_id=

Tyler Endres, a 6-foot-6, 285 sophomore pound offensive tackle from Norwalk (IA) High, visited Minnesota recently for their Junior Day. He picked up his third offer from the Gophers to go along with previous offers from Iowa and Iowa State.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Endres to learn more about his Minnesota visit and early recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You recently visited Minnesota for their Junior Day. What were your impressions of the visit?

Tyler Endres: It was really cool. It was really exciting. It was very impressive. All the energy it takes on practice and the energy that Coach Fleck has on practice. He gives it every day. It was just really fiery and I liked it.

Gopher Hole: What all did you get a chance to see and do?

Tyler Endres: I saw him running across the field, doing some of the stretches with them to get them going faster. That was really cool and really unusual for a head coach.

Gopher Hole: The Gophers extended the offer to you. What was the feeling when you heard about the offer?

Tyler Endres: It was really cool. It took me by surprise, because they just called me. They hadn't talked to me and they offered me a scholarship, but it was really cool to finally do that.

Gopher Hole: How did the Gophers find out about you? Was it through Coach (Bryce) Paup or don't you know?

Tyler Endres: They might have heard about my Iowa State offer and watched my film. Coach Paup, I think he might have remembered me, because UNI visited the school and talked to me a little, too. Coach Paup might have remembered me.

Gopher Hole: What are the Gophers saying to you so far?

Tyler Endres: They are saying that they really like my film. They like the way that I assert my blocks and my foot work. They like my ability to engage with contact and win with contact. They said if I was going to go to Minnesota that I would have a really good chance of starting my true freshman year.

Gopher Hole: Iowa and Iowa State are the homestate schools and they have offered you. Is that appealing to you?

Tyler Endres: I could see myself going out of state, but not really too far. I am considering all of my colleges right now.

Gopher Hole: Do you come from a sports-minded family?

Tyler Endres: My mom played basketball at UNI and I had a cousin who played basketball at Iowa. His name was Chris Street (a former Hawkeye standout who was killed January 19. 1993 when his car collided with a snow plow).

Gopher Hole: Norwalk finished 10-2 last season. What are the expectations for the upcoming season?

Tyler Endres: We are expecting to work hard in the offseason to get better and hopefully, we will get a chance to make it far in the playoffs.

Gopher Hole: Do you have most of your players back from last year or did you lose a lot to graduation?

Tyler Endres: We have a lot of people back. Our defense, we have a few. Offensively, we have four players leaving and defense has six or seven. Our offensive line is coming back. We lost two receivers and one quarterback.

Gopher Hole: Will you play just offensive line or will you play both sides?

Tyler Endres: I have been playing just offensive line, but this year, they are going to try defensive line, too. I am going to play both ways this year.

Gopher Hole: Is that something that you are looking forward to?

Tyler Endres: Yes. I have been wanting to do that my freshmen and sophomore year?

Gopher Hole: Do you think that it is an advantage being an offensive lineman to play some defense because you know from the offensive side what works and what doesn't?

Tyler Endres: That is going to help me a lot when I play defense, knowing what is easiest to stop and what is hard to stop. That is going to be really good to know.

Gopher Hole: You also play basketball and throw shot and discus in track and field. Do you think that playing those other sports helps you for football?

Tyler Endres: Yes. Playing basketball helps me with my foot work and just stay competitive all year. Track is good for staying in shape and working on my footwork for shot and discus and it also helps me stay in the weight room and stay competitive all year.

Gopher Hole: Do you play AAU basketball?

Tyler Endres: Yes. I play for the Iowa Cornsharks.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to play Division I football?

Tyler Endres: That will mean a lot. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to Division I football. That will be fun.

Gopher Hole: You seem to have some great opportunities already. What will the feeling be like the first time as a freshman to walk out onto the field in front of thousands of fans?

Tyler Endres: I'll be very nervous, but really excited about seeing my goal to play college football. It will be really awesome.

Gopher Hole: I know that that it is early in the process, but do you like the recruiting process so far?

Tyler Endres: Yes. It is fun. It is a lot of work and a lot of stuff that I need to think about. Some really tough decisions that I have to make for the next few years.

Gopher Hole: Do you see how it could be a little overwhelming at times already?

Tyler Endres: Yes. I can.

Top Bottom