STrib: Will Gophers cornerback Jalen Myrick outrun doubters en route to NFL draft?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

The Gophers had the distinction last winter of producing the player with the fastest 40-yard dash at the NFL combine in Big Ten history.

But Jalen Myrick’s blistering time of 4.28 seconds hasn’t been enough to convince analysts that he’ll get selected before the middle rounds of this week’s NFL draft.

“That time certainly didn’t hurt him,” said Dane Brugler, from NFLDraftScout.com. “He’s not the biggest guy. He’s under 5-10 and is a stout 200 pounds. His size is average, but I love his confidence, and I love his speed.”

Myrick is the Gophers’ highest projected pick in this year’s draft. Brugler predicts he’ll get taken in the fourth or fifth round and expects safety Damarius Travis to go in the sixth round. Brugler said offensive tackle Jonah Pirsig has an “outside shot” at being drafted but said it’s more likely Pirsig, quarterback Mitch Leidner and receiver Drew Wolitarsky will sign as undrafted free agents.

After having no players drafted from 2011 through 2013, the Gophers have had eight players picked in the past three drafts, including defensive backs Brock Vereen, Cedric Thompson and Eric Murray.

Another former Gophers defensive back, Briean Boddy-Calhoun, signed with Cleveland as an undrafted free agent last year and played 14 games, intercepting three passes.

“I think Boddy-Calhoun showed he was worth a draft pick, even if it was in the later rounds,” Brugler said. “I think what Minnesota has done in recent years, especially in the secondary, is something that NFL teams can point to with Myrick and Travis.”

http://www.startribune.com/will-gop...run-doubters-en-route-to-nfl-draft/420555993/

Go Gophers!!

I really like Travis...he will get his shot and I bet he makes a roster.

Wow, didn't realize he was under 5'10. I don't remember him looking short on the field.

Maybe there is sill hope for me, I just need to shave a second or so off my 40 time.

Top Bottom