Walking wounded this Spring

swingman

Reaction score
Wisconsin had nine expected contributors out this Spring. Plus four depth guys out.
Minnesota had ten guys out this Spring. Weyler, Wright, Calhoun, Lingen, Beebe, Witham, Poock, Julian Huff, cAshman, Durr.

OFFENSIVE LINE: Expected starters Jon Dietzen (left guard) and Jacob Maxwell (right tackle) out all spring while recovering from injuries. Expected left tackle starter David Edwards out for part of Spring because of a left-ankle injury. (Wisconsin had Ramcyczk leave early for NFL, possible first rounder.)

RUNNING BACK: Tailback Taiwan Deal has been out all spring recovering from off-season ankle surgery. At fullback, Ramesh has been out all spring but is expected back for summer workouts. (Must replace Clement and Ogunbowale, possible NFL draft picks).

WIDE RECEIVER: Cephus was off to a strong start but missed time because of the death of his father. (Must replace Wheelwright, who may get NFL looks.)

DEFENSIVE LINE:
Chikwe Obasih has been held out this spring to recover from undisclosed injury.

LINEBACKER: New inside linebackers coach Bob Bostad worked mostly with unproven reserves this spring because T.J. Edwards (foot) and Ryan Connelly (shoulder) are out and Jack Cichy (pectoral) and Chris Orr (knee) have been limited.

Vince Biegel and T.J. Watt, who manned the outside spots last season, are gone to NFL draft. Watt an ,early leave.

SECONDARY: Jim Leonhard has to replace Sojourn Shelton at corner, expected draftee, and Musso at safety, possible NFL free agent.

Wait, whaaat?!? OTHER teams have players injured and recovering from off-season surgeries?

Can anyone recall a year the panic button hasn't been pushed about depth or experience? Help me out.

I don't think Gophers off-season injuries are anything new or different amongst college football. What made it somewhat notable was that they were all basically at 3 positions. Tranfers didn't help either at OL.

I don't think Gophers off-season injuries are anything new or different amongst college football. What made it somewhat notable was that they were all basically at 3 positions. Tranfers didn't help either at OL.

We won't have to worry about this next year.

Northwestern lost six linebackers over the last year. Two graduated, Walker declared for the draft, Vitale, Queiro, Short all retired since November due to injuries. Only had 5 lbs in Spring camp. Moved a rb over to try and help. They say they may be forced to play more of a 4-2-5 because of the issues.

Other guys out in Spring: Moten, the #2 rb; Watkins, the projected starting cb (the good corner Harris retired in November due to injuries), the safety Westphal, d-lineman Carnifax had ankle work; cb Campbell had shoulder work; db Murray retired; the Breck wr kid Chiaokhiao-Bowman was out.

Because finally have a decent S andC coach. Klein was a joke.

Because finally have a decent S andC coach. Klein was a joke.

Or so the narrative goes. Since you seem pretty plugged in on this, can you please give us your list of the top 10 S&C coaches in CFB. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The part that made it odd was you had transfers and expulsions of multiple players in the top two at a couple positions on top of injuries in those same positions. Usually transfers are guys that aren't going to see the field (for the most part). In this case, everyone would have seen the field, most significant contributors. Then you take that thin, inexperienced group and have a couple injuries, that's the difference.

jNWU in this case is similar in that everything hit the one group. In the U's case it was two groups - OL and secondary. The U's case is better in that they will have bodies come fall, just some they wouldn't necessarily want to play if they didn't have to do so. jNWU will be hurting unless they can sign a Juco or 2 (no idea where their numbers are at if that's even possible or if there's anyone available at this point). They are going to struggle running a 4-2-5 in the run happy B1G...

Did you guys know there's such a thing as injury prevention? It's a really fascinating topic that I would suggest all on GH read up on. Even lifts and stretches that will even help protect body parts such as shoulder injuries!

Or so the narrative goes. Since you seem pretty plugged in on this, can you please give us your list of the top 10 S&C coaches in CFB. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was waiting for the usual suspects to post...wonder when we'll see one stating the Gophs situation is far worse than any other teams they will play this year. Tamp, tamp, tamp.

Did you guys know there's such a thing as injury prevention? It's a really fascinating topic that I would suggest all on GH read up on. Even lifts and stretches that will even help protect body parts such as shoulder injuries!

Do you think there is a college team that doesn't know about or follow injury prevention guidelines in this day and age?

Do you think there is a college team that doesn't know about or follow injury prevention guidelines in this day and age?

Yes, believe it or not some strength and conditioning staffs are better than others.

Was waiting for the usual suspects to post...wonder when we'll see one stating the Gophs situation is far worse than any other teams they will play this year. Tamp, tamp, tamp.
Yes, I'm willing to bet every team besides the Gophers had more than 6 healthy offensive lineman for spring ball.

All I know is the Kill / Clayes regime seem to have an abnormal amount of practice injuries as reported in the Strib and Press. Friends that attended Spring Practice said there was a lot less tackling drills and more about technique. Will that equate to less injuries moving forward? I guess we'll find out in 4 months.

OMG...really? You are so smart...

Luckily we won't have any more injury problems. We've found the cure. I wonder why everyone doesn't just do it that way?

Luckily we won't have any more injury problems. We've found the cure. I wonder why everyone doesn't just do it that way?

I would hope significantly less injury problems with the new staff as should everyone else. Most do it that way hense the abnormal number of injuries the Gophers have compared to others.

I would hope significantly less injury problems with the new staff as should everyone else. Most do it that way hense the abnormal number of injuries the Gophers have compared to others.

Are Wisconsin's injury issues due to similar reasons? Not trying to be a smart @$$ (I was before, but not this time). I guess I'm not sure what other teams are dealing with injury-wise and whether or not it is a case of S & C negligence. I genuinely hope that the new staff has the "silver bullet" and can avoid widespread injury while still developing the athletes we need to compete for a championship.

I'm not the one acting like this many injuries is normal.

You must have swingman on ignore b/c he gave great examples showing other teams are going through similar stuff. A couple Google searches would tell you that...

You must have swingman on ignore b/c he gave great examples showing other teams are going through similar stuff. A couple Google searches would tell you that...

He gave great examples of teams going through spring practice with 6 lineman? What about 22 off season surgeries? That's just normal college football isn't it? You guys should keep pushing that narrative. Why do you act like this is normal? I'm a little confused. Maybe say that the Gophers had an abnormal number of injuries and say it was unlucky. But don't act like it's normal for a college football team.

He gave great examples of teams going through spring practice with 6 lineman? What about 22 off season surgeries? That's just normal college football isn't it? You guys should keep pushing that narrative. Why do you act like this is normal? I'm a little confused. Maybe say that the Gophers had an abnormal number of injuries and say it was unlucky. But don't act like it's normal for a college football team.

USC has at least 16 players injured or recovering who were out this Spring, including 5 OL and 4 WR. Again, just do a Google search.

USC has at least 16 players injured or recovering who were out this Spring, including 5 OL and 4 WR. Again, just do a Google search.

So USC also had an abnormal number of injuries? Thanks for telling me that. So given that the Gophers had more than USC are they leading the country in injuries?

Oh, come on. I'm calling foul on this. You have absolutely no idea how the Gophers train and even less idea how other teams train. Neither do I, and neither does anybody else. This is a ridiculous statement.

Personally, I consider injuries or lack of injuries just a reflection of luck. Stuff happens.

Top Bottom