Walking wounded this Spring

So USC also had an abnormal number of injuries? Thanks for telling me that. So given that the Gophers had more than USC are they leading the country in injuries?

I tried. You can lead a horse to water, but...

15-20 guys out for rest and rehab is not unusual in the spring. I can recall USC having over 20 guys out for their spring games.

IMO best way to avoid injuries is to be a) not play or tackle at practice, b) allow proper rest and rehab, c) be fit to begin with.

The coaches have direct control over all three. Will non-contact practice lead to a damaged product on game day? Arguable. Do coaches force players to play hurt, making minor injuries into major ones? You bet. Avoiding muscle imbalances and overtraining is directly on the coaches. I'd assume any competent trainer knows not to do that but exercise science is truly the dismal science. Distresssingly litte firm science and a lot of fads out there. Everyone's got an opinion.

15-20 guys out for rest and rehab is not unusual in the spring. I can recall USC having over 20 guys out for their spring games.

IMO best way to avoid injuries is to be a) not play or tackle at practice, b) allow proper rest and rehab, c) be fit to begin with.

The coaches have direct control over all three. Will non-contact practice lead to a damaged product on game day? Arguable. Do coaches force players to play hurt, making minor injuries into major ones? You bet. Avoiding muscle imbalances and overtraining is directly on the coaches. I'd assume any competent trainer knows not to do that but exercise science is truly the dismal science. Distresssingly litte firm science and a lot of fads out there. Everyone's got an opinion.

Agree. This is not unusual. I'd also add to your list players wanting to compete and practice will also play hurt. Sometimes it is just a small nagging thing that goes away, sometimes it's the sign of something more serious.

Bridgewater's might seem to be an anomaly, but I'd witnessed enough work and sports related joint and muscle injuries to know that many do not have a specific, direct cause. The sheer presence of repetitive motions and actions heightens the risk.

from start of Illini Spring ball; not sure if more got hurt as it went on:

Lovie Smith’s Illini football squad falls into the latter category. Of course, spring numbers are always down because the seniors are gone and most freshmen haven’t arrived.

But the UI’s situation is extreme because a big group of 24 seniors departed. Then, too, Ke’Shawn Vaughn is among five scholarship players transferring, and 11 others aren’t currently available to practice: likely starters Chayce Crouch, Mikey Dudek, Kenyon Jackson and Stanley Green, plus Dre Brown, Dele Harding, Austin Roberts, Brandon Jones, M.J. McGriff, Andrew Trainer and Dominic Thieman.

The medical-related numbers may vary from day to day. As of Wednesday, Smith had roughly 45 scholarship players in his plans for the start of full-contact drills today.

“We can’t worry about it,” Smith added. “We won’t hold a lot of scrimmages, but we won’t change our plans for contact. We aren’t withholding anyone who has been cleared to play. Those on the sideline aren’t ready.”

Discounting walk-ons, Smith looks ahead to a senior class of eight. Just eight. Two of those are junior college transfers Ahmari Hayes and Jordan ***an. If they choose the four captains from that group, it’ll involve half the class.

Freshman Carmoni Green joins Malik Turner and Sam Mays as the only medically-cleared scholarship receivers for an offensive scheme that often employs three (step up, walk-ons).

With 300-pounders Eddy Fish and Zach Heath dropping off, offensive line coach Luke Butkus has 10 linemen (no walk-ons) for five positions. If freshman HoJo Watkins hadn’t arrived early, Butkus couldn’t field two units.

On defense, the participating ends stand at four thanks to new arrival Owen Carney and converted linebacker James Crawford.

It is understating the case to say that Smith faces a rebuilding situation. The 2017 UI team will be as young and thin as it has been.

PJF stated there were 22 in many interviews, but it is hard to find out who all of them were.
Some must have been practicing during the spring.
Weyler, Wright, Calhoun
Lingen, Durr, Ca$hman, Beebe
Those are the only 7 I could find in a quick search.
I'm sure JB will be able to come up with the other 15

PJF stated there were 22 in many interviews, but it is hard to find out who all of them were.
Some must have been practicing during the spring.
Weyler, Wright, Calhoun
Lingen, Durr, Ca$hman, Beebe
Those are the only 8 I could find in a quick search.
I'm sure JB will be able to come up with the other 15

22-8=14

Maryland had about 14 guys in orange/red jerseys for Spring game...twice as many as Minnesota?

Maryland coach Edsall listed players who will miss spring ball because of rehab from injuries and surgery. Among the notables, Caleb Rowe, Wes Brown, Alvin Hill, Elvis Dennah will all be out for spring practice, which begins next Wednesday. Edsall is hoping Hill, a starter at cornerback last year before suffering a season-ending injury, might be able to participate in some non-contact activities.

Also expected to miss all contact drills: receiver Taivon Jacobs, defensive end Quinton Jefferson, tight end Andrew Isaacs and linebacker Avery Thompson.

Edsall said punter Lee Shrader, safety Milan Collins and lineman Banks Agaruwa will participate but could be limited.

Senior wide receiver Chris Jones suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament and will be out through the summer and into next season...QB transfer from UNC Caleb Henderson sat out final week with ankle injury...Junior defensive back RaVon Davis, who made four starts a year ago, out at end of Spring with an ankle injury …

Iowa Spring game had 13 guys out from the two-deeps

DID NOT PARTICIPATE OFFENSE (two-deep): RB — Akrum Wadley; WR — Matt VandeBerg, Jerminic Smith; (Scheel quit in December due to injuries) FB — Drake Kulick; TE — Peter Pekar, Nate Wieting; G — Levi Paulson; OL — Dalton Ferguson (out for season)

DID NOT PARTICIPATE DEFENSE (two-deep): DT — Nathan Bazata, Brady Reiff; DE — Matt Nelson; LB — Jack Hockaday; S — Brandon Snyder (out indefinitely ACL tear)

I'm sure I have been labeled a "Fleck-ite" but in an attempt to build some bridges let me just say that is ridiculous to blame Kill/Claeys/Klein for our past injuries. There are valid arguments to be made, though, that since injuries happen everywhere (see Swingman's very informative posts), we should have been better prepared, through recruiting, at the offensive line. The guys "poor" wisconsin has to throw in for depth will probably be drafted (FML).

There are numerous things to criticize our past regime for in regards to recruiting and roster building, so there is no need to harp on injuries. It weakens the case. It's like someone who is criticizing Obama by still claiming he wasn't a citizen - there are plenty of valid criticisms but that just makes you look stupid.

Will Coney Durr be playing this fall? I've heard some say he'll be ready for conference play but that would really surprise me.

Was waiting for the usual suspects to post...wonder when we'll see one stating the Gophs situation is far worse than any other teams they will play this year. Tamp, tamp, tamp.

You didn't have to wait long and he didn't disappoint. I'm starting to think JB belongs in the MWIII/CG thread as he has to be a bit, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't have to wait long and he didn't disappoint. I'm starting to think JB belongs in the MWIII/CG thread as he has to be a bit, right?

Was it a bit when you said the Gophers would sign 5 players for 2017 class? I honestly can't tell with your horrendous hot takes.

Was it a bit when you said the Gophers would sign 5 players for 2017 class? I honestly can't tell with your horrendous hot takes.

Hyperbole my friend. Have already said PJF did a great job recruiting - not sure what else you need.

Oh, please give me your list of top S&C coaches. You seem to really know the inside dope on that function. I just love reading your insight and can't get enough.

Hyperbole my friend. Have already said PJF did a great job recruiting - not sure what else you need.

Oh, please give me your list of top S&C coaches. You seem to really know the inside dope on that function. I just love reading your insight and can't get enough.

1. Scott Cochran
2. Mickey Marotti
3. Matt Balis
4. Chris Doyle
5. Gus Felder

Dan Nichol seems like a pretty good coach too.

Any more questions?

1. Scott Cochran
2. Mickey Marotti
3. Matt Balis
4. Chris Doyle
5. Gus Felder

Dan Nichol seems like a pretty good coach too.

Any more questions?

Would #4 Chris Doyle be the same Chris Doyle that caused 13 players to be hospitalized, due to workouts?

Wilson Love at FAU has to be near the top. Constant motion, high energy, barking are the keys to building champions. I like our guy but PJ has a southern cousin and would be a good fit.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ojKvafwWiJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Would #4 Chris Doyle be the same Chris Doyle that caused 13 players to be hospitalized, due to workouts?

No surgeries tho.

1, Shannon Turley

great strength coach at Stanford whose methods are very different from many other programs. In the six years since Turley took over the Stanford strength program, games missed due to injury has decreased 87 percent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

1, Shannon Turley

great strength coach at Stanford whose methods are very different from many other programs. In the six years since Turley took over the Stanford strength program, games missed due to injury has decreased 87 percent.

[/QUOTE]

No possible way a strength coach could help with that!

Guess Harbaugh leaving there right before Turley arrived had no impact

Top Bottom