Be Elite: Row the Boat with Col. Matt Langer and P.J. Fleck

I'd wager it is a combination of things but I don't think filming ads for government recruiting services is high among them.

Most pro teams have playoff runs from time to time, some more than others. If you can find me a team that sells out stadiums and has not been to the playoffs in the last 8-10 years I'll shut up.

That's a pretty safe statement when teams with losing records make the playoffs.

Who here has said it will?

The post that started it all. Read:

I agree with everything in your first paragraph. My only bit of contention is that in the year 2017, I think the promotional aspects of the job are absolutely necessary for the vast majority of programs. Nick Saban, and the like, can get away with the "bunker mentality" because of their absurd success/track record/built-in enthusiasm within a given fanbase. But Saban is more the exception than the model. Fleck seems over-the-top but I think he is merely just ahead of the curve. As attention spans continue to shrink and entertainment options expand, I think the constant promoting of one's program within a community will become nearly as valued as the film room or game plan.

As we move forward, college coaches will become more similar to politicians and less like hard-nose military generals/tacticians . Just my opinion/prediction. Very intelligent guys like Coach Claeys will likely be relegated to coordinator positions because they simply don't have the skill-set/desire to attempt to insert themselves into every aspect of a local community.

That says nothing about how outreach will lead to game day wins. Maybe you're the one who needs to read....

Maybe you can explain it. What is Homer trying to say, exactly? I'm confused because the root of my argument is wins matter for building a program and I don't think that's a very controversial take.

First he said Saban and other successful coaches "get away" with not being Fleck because they win!

Then this:

I think the constant promoting of one's program within a community will become nearly as valued as the film room or game plan.

As we move forward, college coaches will become more similar to politicians and less like hard-nose military generals/tacticians . Just my opinion/prediction. Very intelligent guys like Coach Claeys will likely be relegated to coordinator positions because they simply don't have the skill-set/desire to attempt to insert themselves into every aspect of a local community.

The promotions he does are great. But what will really move us into the elite category are his talent evaluation skills and his coaching skills. Corey Davis had one offer out of high school and that was PJ's. He was then coached up into an amazing receiver who was taken with the 5th pick in the NFL draft. That is amazing!!!

Maybe we could actually get a State Trooper assigned to the Coach during the games, both home & away, like other BIG10 schools???

Top Bottom