Who's hot and who's not right now on the Big Ten recruiting trail?

GopherLady

Reaction score
Gophers are the #2 hot team according to this:

https://n.rivals.com/news/big-ten-spotlight-hot-and-cold-teams

P.J. Fleck’s move from Western Michigan to Minnesota in January shook things up in the 2017 class, and that momentum has carried over into the 2018 class. The Gophers are rolling right now with a dozen total commitments, including four this month. They do not yet have that headliner four-star in this 2018 class, but all 12 of their commitments are rated three-stars and they are beating out a lot of Power Five programs to get those players. Most recently they battled Iowa down the stretch to secure the commitment of high three-star cornerback Tyrik Henderson from Chicago. The Gophers are securing their state borders with two in-state commits, they are hitting other fertile Midwest recruiting territories such as Detroit, Chicago and Ohio, and also have four commitments already from the state of Georgia.

Thanks Nadine. Illinois was confident they would close the borders with Smith. This is Smith's first full year recruiting and the top 11 out of 12 in the State have committed elsewhere. If you listen to Smith in his pressers he has the personality of a damp mop. Just because you've the NFL pedigree, you still have to sell the program. Just me, but I think Smith took the job because of the money. I don't think he'll make the duration of his contract. His sideline demeanor is that of a guy just going through the motions.

Nice to be mentioned in the same breath with OSU when it comes to recruiting. That's a first in my lifetime. :cool:

Thanks Nadine. Illinois was confident they would close the borders with Smith. This is Smith's first full year recruiting and the top 11 out of 12 in the State have committed elsewhere. If you listen to Smith in his pressers he has the personality of a damp mop. Just because you've the NFL pedigree, you still have to sell the program. Just me, but I think Smith took the job because of the money. I don't think he'll make the duration of his contract. His sideline demeanor is that of a guy just going through the motions.

So basically their version of Tubby Smith?

I have to give PJF props he's recruited very well so far. Almost all the guys he's gotten commitments from have a ton of P5 offers and most had multiple offers from programs that many would argue are "better" than the U (not that I necessarily agree with that opinion). I have a feeling when it's all said and done this will be the best class in terms of star power. I however really thought Kill, Claeys and company did a fantastic job of finding recruits that fit their system and ended up being good players. Hopefully the stars align with talent that fits the system for PJ, then that's a chance to start being the West's power player.

just wait until he has a practice facility to physically show recruits....just not a construction site and some renderings.

I'm excited, but I'm going to be nervous too until signing day...

We have no 4 stars but are are top 10 right now? This is a quantity thing, right?

Are our "3s" at this point higher and better than our typical "3s"?

Serious question. Not trolling. I'm a homer.

We have no 4 stars but are are top 10 right now? This is a quantity thing, right?

Yes it is a quantity thing right now. 3-stars are more on the high end then recent past years. Fleck needs a handful of 4-stars and most likely no commits below 3-stars to end with a top 40 class.

Yes our current 3s are higher rated 3s than usual

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I have to give PJF props he's recruited very well so far. Almost all the guys he's gotten commitments from have a ton of P5 offers and most had multiple offers from programs that many would argue are "better" than the U (not that I necessarily agree with that opinion). I have a feeling when it's all said and done this will be the best class in terms of star power. I however really thought Kill, Claeys and company did a fantastic job of finding recruits that fit their system and ended up being good players. Hopefully the stars align with talent that fits the system for PJ, then that's a chance to start being the West's power player.

Except at QB

Except at QB

Ha ha, that made me laugh...props to you on that one. Yep that's true...but you never know it could be coaching? Probably a reason coach Z is at the D3 level (not to disparage him). But overall they got a lot of guys not that highly ranked that turned into very good players.

Top Bottom