Gopherhole's Sports Huddle Recap: Coach P.J. Fleck - 4/23/2017

DL65

Reaction score
After having Sunday off last week for Easter, P.J. Fleck returned to the Sports Huddle. The P.J. Fleck was taped and all of the questions raised were by Sid Hartman.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/784333?referrer_id=331171

1) In the first question, Sid wanted to know how the shortage of offensive linemen hurt the team in spring ball:

Fleck replied, “We know what we have, but not what all of them can do.” However, he also said that all of the injured offensive linemen will be back – as well as other injured players – for fall training and they’ll know a lot more about team personnel.

2) Sid asked how many true freshmen (came in for the winter semester) participated in spring drills:

“Three guys started early, two quarterbacks and a linebacker,” Fleck answered. He didn’t elaborate as to the progress them made.

3) Sid opined that it looked as though the defensive line out played the offense line in the spring game:

Fleck quickly answered, “Never really happy with what you do (room for improvement).” Offensive line gave up too many sacks, according Fleck. Nevertheless, he was pleased with their effort and that they’re buying in to the transition to (new) culture.

4) Sid asked if they showed a lot of the offense in the spring game:

“We didn’t do a lot – 50 to 60% of the offense,” said Fleck. He went on to say that they (coaches) worried more about the offense mastering what they’ve been given, thus far. Fleck also said the growing pains due to the transition are not unusual in the first year.

5) Sid opined that the quarterbacks seemed to be accurate in the spring game:

“Our quarterbacks have been accurate,” Fleck replied quickly. According to Fleck they’ve been working on drop back passing, run-pass option, and passing while running. Fleck said offensive coordinator and quarterback coach Kirk Ciarrocca has done a great job working with the quarterback and implementing the new offensive system.

6) Sid, once again, asked about being short of personnel in the offensive line during the spring game:

Fleck said because they only had five offensive linemen available for the spring game that was the “point of having a running clock.”

7) Sid wanted to know how the offensive line graded at the conclusion at the completion of spring game:

Fleck quickly responded, “Wasn’t happy with the sacks!” On the positive side of his analysis, “Played extremely hard . . . great effort ... (good) technique.” He cited the instructional work of offensive line coach Ed Warrimer as being a big plus in their development.

8) Sid asked about the running back position:

“We really like our running backs,” Fleck said. He said he’s excited having Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks. Shannon Brooks was playing hurt in the spring game, so he didn't play much. He then cited the play of Jonathan Femi-Cole and Kobe McCrary. Fleck likes the abilities and depth at the running back position.

9) Sid brought up his topic of Blake Cashman of getting a scholarship after the team’s Easter egg hunt:

Fleck acknowledged he knew Sid likes Blake Cashman and his frequent questions about whether or not he would receive a scholarship. He went on to say he kept his word about Cashman’s scholarship and that “our whole staff was excited” for Blake. He also was pleased with spontaneous, genuine response when they discovered that Blake had earned a scholarship.

10) Sid asked if there were any surprises since Fleck took the job of head coach:

No, not really,” Fleck answered. He then, however, expressed his appreciation for the support that the alumni base, fans and staff have shown during the transition.

11) Sid asked about Minneapolis North receiver Tyler Johnson. He mentioned that Tyler was a two sport athlete in high school:

Fleck told Sid that Tyler has the “potential to become something special.” He also said he was aware of Johnson’s high school playing days of football and basketball. He said they like athletes that play other sports besides football.

12) Sid asked about the receiver position:

“Not deep,” said Fleck. However, he said they’ll have more depth with the incoming (2017) class. Again, he said some of the receivers have potential to be something special; wide receiver “coach (Matt) Simon has a lot of clay to mould.”

13) Sid said he understood freshman recruiting is going well:

Fleck told Sid their success in recruiting is because “we’re just us – energy and passion . . . facilities (under construction) . . . we have one of the best cities and institution in the world.”

14) Sid asked about new changes in recruiting:

As far as an earlier signing date, Fleck said it has “moved the calendar up.” For Fleck, however, the biggest (positive) change is allowing official visits in the spring. He mentioned the spring time weather in Minnesota as being a tremendous plus, as opposed to official visits in the winter.

15) Sid mentioned the lack of personnel at this time, especially at certain positions:

Responding philosophically, Fleck said, “It’ll do what it does!” Fleck sounding more positive, said the needed changes in player personnel will be met.

16) Sid asked Fleck if the job at Minnesota has been everything he hoped it would be:

Speaking with excitement in his voice, “Everything I thought it’d be . . . love being here . . . Can win championships here – it will happen!”

17) Sid asked how “row-the-boat” is going:

Fleck said it’s going well “we have some tremendous leaders on the team,” which are helping, bringing about a new culture at Minnesota.

18) Sid mentioned a recent Minnesota high school clinic:

Fleck spoke glowingly about the state’s coaches, “great support from Minnesota high school coaches . . . we’re excited.”

19) Sid asked about recruiting and the many offers that have given:

“We recruiting a ton,” said Fleck. He then hastened to add that they can sign 25 players.

He also told Sid the coaches are on the road recruiting “as we speak.”

20) Sid asked what he’s doing to increase ticket sales:

Fleck stressed he wants game day to be a fun event “something you can bring the whole family to . . . fun on game day!”

Go Gophers!!

I can not express enough appreciation to you to for satisfying my Gopher Football addiction by listening to Sid for me!

I can not express enough appreciation to you to for satisfying my Gopher Football addiction by listening to Sid for me!

+1. You don't miss your water till the well runs dry. Last week made this week that much sweeter!

Thanks DL65, and S.O.N. and others as well!

Many thanks.

Don't think I've ever heard a coach say they don't like multi-sport athletes..."Frankly, I think it takes away from their focus, that's why we shy away from recruiting multi-sport athletes..."

Whenever I read these I always imagine Sid asking the questions in his Minnesotan Scandinavian accent. :)

Super thanks for this report as always. I get home and you're always there with a great recap of what happened. I always wonder though what the coaches think of Sid though!

Thanks DL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, I think Sid is doing better. Maybe they were able to doctor his responses to what Fleck said but he seemed to hear him clearly. One thing Fleck said is that in the future there will be more seniors leaving high school and enrolling early for spring practice.

I can remember when Wacker was the coach and Sid said Minnesota can't recruit nationally because we are too far away from talent areas. I'm glad that Fleck will disprove this notion over and over.

Thanks for the detailed report DL. Always look forward to reading this.
Couple of questions about PJF's comments.
1. His response to the WR question saying we are not deep is kind of puzzling in a way , because we have more receivers on the roster than most other positions. He must not think very highly of a majority of them, T Johnson and R Still being the two he likes.
2. In a way it's good that we have quite a few early verbal commits. But He's recruiting guys to fit his system that was successful in the MAC. He has yet to coach a game in the BIG, so he doesn't know the type of player that will be successful in the BIG. Having so many guys already in place will limit his ability to bring in different guys to fit his system and the BIG if he discovers that he needs to change his player evaluation process to compete in this conf.

1. His response to the WR question saying we are not deep is kind of puzzling in a way , because we have more receivers on the roster than most other positions. He must not think very highly of a majority of them, T Johnson and R Still being the two he likes.

Quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality. We aren't very deep in college production. We might have talent, but we won't really know until they get onto the field on Saturdays.

Still - 36 receptions, 543 yards, 3 touchdowns (in 2 seasons)
Johnson - 14 receptions, 141 yards, 1 touchdown (in 1 season)
Carter - 33 receptions, 384 yards, 1 touchdown (in 3 seasons)
Gentry - 2 receptions, 36 yards (in 2 seasons)
Holland - 2 receptions, 8 yards (in 2 seasons)
Register - 1 reception, 6 yards (in 1 season)

Quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality. We aren't very deep in college production. We might have talent, but we won't really know until they get onto the field on Saturdays.

Still - 36 receptions, 543 yards, 3 touchdowns (in 2 seasons)
Johnson - 14 receptions, 141 yards, 1 touchdown (in 1 season)
Carter - 33 receptions, 384 yards, 1 touchdown (in 3 seasons)
Gentry - 2 receptions, 36 yards (in 2 seasons)
Holland - 2 receptions, 8 yards (in 2 seasons)
Register - 1 reception, 6 yards (in 1 season)

Fully agree with that, then why not say we are inexperienced at the WR position, instead of we are not deep. Inexperienced implies what you said, they don't really know what they have with some of those guys. We are not deep at OL because of a lack of bodies, which is not the case at the WR position. There are plenty of bodies there, just not any experience.

elite report, elite coach we have

It's good to see we have plans to improve the game-day experience.............wait, .haven't we heard this before?

Seriously, as I recall, the last 3 AD's and last 4 head coaches have talked about improving the game-day atmosphere. Let's be honest - if the U of M wants a better game-day atmosphere, they're going to have to loosen the reins and allow more tailgating, including tailgating in different areas, and at student housing. If you go to IA, WI - any other B1G school - game day is an event. At MN, it's like a well-kept secret, because the U of M doesn't want people - especially students - to have too much fun. And then, they wonder why people don't show up or act more excited. It's like a librarian saying she wants people to have more fun at the library - as long as they don't talk too loud.

Thanks for the detailed report DL. Always look forward to reading this.
Couple of questions about PJF's comments.
2. In a way it's good that we have quite a few early verbal commits. But He's recruiting guys to fit his system that was successful in the MAC. He has yet to coach a game in the BIG, so he doesn't know the type of player that will be successful in the BIG. Having so many guys already in place will limit his ability to bring in different guys to fit his system and the BIG if he discovers that he needs to change his player evaluation process to compete in this conf.

As for #2...he has stated several times that the current roster already has the right type of players (at a higher talent level too) to fit his system, unlike when he got to WMU, so that is not a limit for him in that respect.

As for #2...he has stated several times that the current roster already has the right type of players (at a higher talent level too) to fit his system, unlike when he got to WMU, so that is not a limit for him in that respect.

That literally has nothing to do with what he said.

It's good to see we have plans to improve the game-day experience.............wait, .haven't we heard this before?

Seriously, as I recall, the last 3 AD's and last 4 head coaches have talked about improving the game-day atmosphere. Let's be honest - if the U of M wants a better game-day atmosphere, they're going to have to loosen the reins and allow more tailgating, including tailgating in different areas, and at student housing. If you go to IA, WI - any other B1G school - game day is an event. At MN, it's like a well-kept secret, because the U of M doesn't want people - especially students - to have too much fun. And then, they wonder why people don't show up or act more excited. It's like a librarian saying she wants people to have more fun at the library - as long as they don't talk too loud.

I think the tailgating is actually pretty good around TCF. I'm guessing you are talking about the more spontaneous type tailgating? I know this is a tiring explanation, but most B1G towns, the school's FB or BB team is the #1 sporting attraction in town. At Neb, Iowa, Wisc, Penn St, OSU, etc., those almost always the only sporting event in town those weekends and are by far the most important. Of course, consistent winning helps A LOT too.

We'll get there, as I expect Fleck to be successful from game one against Buffalo on forward. Pack TCF and tailgating will grow.

That literally has nothing to do with what he said.

"Having so many guys already in place will limit his ability to bring in different guys to fit his system..."

Ummm, literally it does.

"Having so many guys already in place will limit his ability to bring in different guys to fit his system..."

Ummm, literally it does.

He didn't question if Fleck has the right guys to fit his system, he questioned if Fleck's system would be successful in the Big Ten.

Western Michigan had more offensive talent last year than the Gophers did last year and than what the Gophers will have this year.

leading rcvrs at WMU last year:

Corey Davis (247 composite .74 guy), Fleck recruit, starred as true frosh in 2013, 97 catches in 2016
Michael Henry (247 composite .80 guy), previous WMU staff recruit, 23 rcpts as rs frosh in 2013, 63 catches in 2016
Carrington Thompson (unranked guy/d2 transfer from Northwood U to WMU in 2015) 42 catches in 2016

no other rcvr with double digit catches in 2016

leading rcvrs at WMU in 2015:
Daniel Braverman with 108 catches (.80 247 composite guy), previous staff recruit, 2016 Bear draftee
Corey Davis with 90 catches (see above for bio info)
Michael Henry 18 catches (see above for bio info)
Kendrick Roberts with 13 catches, (247 .80 composite), previous staff recruit in '11

only double digit rcvrs in 2015

leading receivers for WMU in 2014
Braverman 86 catches
Davis 78 catches
Darius Phillips 32 catches (.83 247 composite ranking), Fleck recruit in '13, moved to corner in '15
Roberts 16 catches

only double digit rcvrs in 2014

leading rcvrs for WMU in 2013
Davis 67 catches
Roberts 23 catches
Keith 20 catches (.81 247 composite) previous staff '11 recruit

Eric Carter .81 247 guy
Still .81 247 guy
Holland .86
Gentry .83
Register .84
Tyler Johnson .86
Phil Howard .85
Drew Hmielewski .85
Mark Williams .80
AutmanBell .85
VanDyne .83
Douglas .85

Fleck/Simon/Ciarrocca have 12 guys on Gopher roster rated same or higher than their leading rcvrs at WMU last three winning seasons: (Davis .74, Braverman .80, Henry .80, Thompson unranked, Roberts .80).

They don't use a ton of guys at WR; just three guys get most of the targets.

Fleck/Ciarrocca/Simon will be just fine at WR starting off with a platoon of 12 guys rated as high or higher than what they used at WMU. Plus some very nice looking hands at walk-on WR (Morse, Geary, Annexstad, Reger).

Fleck left new guys at WMU with no double digit returning wr's for 2017; it is college football - every team has limited returning experience at some positions every year.

I think the tailgating is actually pretty good around TCF. I'm guessing you are talking about the more spontaneous type tailgating? I know this is a tiring explanation, but most B1G towns, the school's FB or BB team is the #1 sporting attraction in town. At Neb, Iowa, Wisc, Penn St, OSU, etc., those almost always the only sporting event in town those weekends and are by far the most important. Of course, consistent winning helps A LOT too.

We'll get there, as I expect Fleck to be successful from game one against Buffalo on forward. Pack TCF and tailgating will grow.

I'm told by people on this board that the lots around the stadium are full and even used by many to tailgate. I'll take their word for it; I pay $10 at East River Flats, so I'm not up there. However, the atmosphere could be better. As we make the 15- to 20-minute walk from our party to the stadium, we see very little maroon and gold -- and no partying -- along the way, until we hit Oak Street. For much of that walk, many people would be surprised to know to know there's an event happening.

To make it more festive, they could work with the city to allow tailgating in private lots in Stadium Village. But that would compete with the U's take. Using the open space around the Alumni Center has been discussed here before. They could do more with tailgating and pre-gaming if they wanted to. They don't want to.

leading rcvrs at WMU last year:

Corey Davis (247 composite .74 guy), Fleck recruit, starred as true frosh in 2013, 97 catches in 2016
Michael Henry (247 composite .80 guy), previous WMU staff recruit, 23 rcpts as rs frosh in 2013, 63 catches in 2016
Carrington Thompson (unranked guy/d2 transfer from Northwood U to WMU in 2015) 42 catches in 2016

no other rcvr with double digit catches in 2016

leading rcvrs at WMU in 2015:
Daniel Braverman with 108 catches (.80 247 composite guy), previous staff recruit, 2016 Bear draftee
Corey Davis with 90 catches (see above for bio info)
Michael Henry 18 catches (see above for bio info)
Kendrick Roberts with 13 catches, (247 .80 composite), previous staff recruit in '11

only double digit rcvrs in 2015

leading receivers for WMU in 2014
Braverman 86 catches
Davis 78 catches
Darius Phillips 32 catches (.83 247 composite ranking), Fleck recruit in '13, moved to corner in '15
Roberts 16 catches

only double digit rcvrs in 2014

leading rcvrs for WMU in 2013
Davis 67 catches
Roberts 23 catches
Keith 20 catches (.81 247 composite) previous staff '11 recruit

Eric Carter .81 247 guy
Still .81 247 guy
Holland .86
Gentry .83
Register .84
Tyler Johnson .86
Phil Howard .85
Drew Hmielewski .85
Mark Williams .80
AutmanBell .85
VanDyne .83
Douglas .85

Fleck/Simon/Ciarrocca have 12 guys on Gopher roster rated same or higher than their leading rcvrs at WMU last three winning seasons: (Davis .74, Braverman .80, Henry .80, Thompson unranked, Roberts .80).

They don't use a ton of guys at WR; just three guys get most of the targets.

Fleck/Ciarrocca/Simon will be just fine at WR starting off with a platoon of 12 guys rated as high or higher than what they used at WMU. Plus some very nice looking hands at walk-on WR (Morse, Geary, Annexstad, Reger).

Fleck left new guys at WMU with no double digit returning wr's for 2017; it is college football - every team has limited returning experience at some positions every year.
Guys with two catches the last two seasons are going to better than Corey Davis. The previous staff was really known for recruiting and developing great recievers. I agree 100%

Fleck/Ciarrocca/Simon/Callahan have creatively used RBs and TEs in pass game.

Have to imagine they are very excited about prospects of using some combination of Smith/Brooks/McCrary/FemiCole/Ibrahim/London and Woz/Lingen/Beebe/Witham/Kieft/Paulson/Umlor/Bursch in their game plan. Should find two they can use effectively out of that 14.

Corey Davis is a low-talent .74 type of guy that they immediately molded as a true frosh into a star in their system. Fleck has told that to many, many times.

Other people say he is a guy that couldn't get into Big Ten schools because of transcript issues that they lucked into and rode hard for four years.

I want to believe Fleck.

I see a multitude of guys who are better than Corey Davis on this roster I agree.

Corey Davis is a low-talent .74 type of guy that they immediately molded as a true frosh into a star in their system. Fleck has told that to many, many times.

Other people say he is a guy that couldn't get into Big Ten schools because of transcript issues that they lucked into and rode hard for four years.

I want to believe Fleck.

I want to believe Fleck.

I see a multitude of guys more talented than Corey Davis on this roster I agree. He also played a ton his freshman year.

I'm told by people on this board that the lots around the stadium are full and even used by many to tailgate. I'll take their word for it; I pay $10 at East River Flats, so I'm not up there. However, the atmosphere could be better. As we make the 15- to 20-minute walk from our party to the stadium, we see very little maroon and gold -- and no partying -- along the way, until we hit Oak Street. For much of that walk, many people would be surprised to know to know there's an event happening.

To make it more festive, they could work with the city to allow tailgating in private lots in Stadium Village. But that would compete with the U's take. Using the open space around the Alumni Center has been discussed here before. They could do more with tailgating and pre-gaming if they wanted to. They don't want to.

Yes, the tailgate lots are active...could it be better...absolutely. I usually get to TCF 1 1/2 hours early, take the Green line from StP, which goes by the tailgate lots on the east side, and tailgating is in full swing. I also have been invited the last couple years to big time parties in those lots and also just walked through and got pulled into a party. Good time. I'd be willing to bet if you had a six-pack in tow, many set up in the tailgate lots would welcome you.

Fleck/Ciarrocca/Simon/Callahan have creatively used RBs and TEs in pass game.

Have to imagine they are very excited about prospects of using some combination of Smith/Brooks/McCrary/FemiCole/Ibrahim/London and Woz/Lingen/Beebe/Witham/Kieft/Paulson/Umlor/Bursch in their game plan. Should find two they can use effectively out of that 14.

Sure anyone can find players to use. Being successful against B1G defenses, most of which are good, is entirely different.

You continually post that our offense is loaded, yet I find it hard to believe you've watched one minute of our offense the last 6 years. Talent is lacking at QB, WR, OL, and TE if Lingen cannot play. Woz stuggles to catch the ball and is slow. Beebe is also slow and not very athletic for a TE.

Corey Davis will be the first or second WR taken in this year's draft. The Gophers haven't had a WR drafted since Decker, who was also an underrated recruit.

I have a lot of confidence in Simon and Fleck and their ability to develop WRs, but that doesn't mean they can just take anyone and turn them into a star. If it was that easy, everyone would do it.

Top Bottom