Shooter: Claeys recently visited Kill; plan is to take season off

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Former Gophers football coach Tracy Claeys recently spent time in New Jersey with ex-Gophers coach Jerry Kill, now offensive coordinator at Rutgers, then the pair got together in Florida.

Plans are for Claeys, who’ll receive a $500,000 buyout from Minnesota this year, to take next season off, then consider his coaching future.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/2...-expected-to-be-contenders-for-several-years/

Go Gophers!!

Give me $500,000 and I'll take a year off, too. And the year after that. And the year after that.

Does anyone honestly believe Kill when he says he won't be a head coach again? I think he will be within 2 years...

Does anyone honestly believe Kill when he says he won't be a head coach again? I think he will be within 2 years...

I'll predict he's back as a head coach at Northern Illinois in 2018 with Claeys as his defensive coordinator after Carey gets fired.

Agree with this. It is all he has known in his life and coaching is in his blood. He could be HC at Rutgers next year in 2018 if the current guy gets fired or coach elsewhere. Then the question will be if/when the heath issues will be back with all that stress.

I'll predict he's back as a head coach at Northern Illinois in 2018 with Claeys as his defensive coordinator after Carey gets fired.

That looks like it is Rutgers back up plan.

I would think that Claeys is a good enough defense coach that he should be able to get a good job without grabbing back onto Kill's coat tails, but who knows how is is without Sawvel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will take the contrary position. If I'm an AD at a D1 program, I am not hiring someone with Jerry Kill's health history. Nothing against Kill as a coach, but you simply cannot guarantee that he is going to stay healthy and be able to fulfill the roles of a D1 head coach. Kill is his own worst enemy. He says he's taking care of himself and learned his lesson. Hey, we heard that at MN, but he just couldn't take the workload without impacting his health. If he wants to coach, it's going to have to be as a coordinator or an assistant.

Now, if he wanted to be a head coach at a D2 or D3 school, that might be a different story, but I suspect Kill has a big enough ego that he wouldn't be satisfied being the head coach in the MIAC or NSIC.

Agree with this. It is all he has known in his life and coaching is in his blood. He could be HC at Rutgers next year in 2018 if the current guy gets fired or coach elsewhere. Then the question will be if/when the heath issues will be back with all that stress.

I'll make a different prediction......Claeys will be hired as HC at one of these places and will have Kill stay at OC.

I don't think he will. He can make a great living as an FBS OC/assistant and he seems OK with moving around. Have some success at Rutgers and a higher profile program will grab him.

ol' jer is a ball coach. it's in his blood, its who he is.

Barring a NCAA or legal scandal, there is a 0.0% chance that Chris Ash is fired as Rutgers head coach after the 2017 season.

That looks like it is Rutgers back up plan.

I would think that Claeys is a good enough defense coach that he should be able to get a good job without grabbing back onto Kill's coat tails, but who knows how is is without Sawvel?

I don't think Kill is Rutgers backup plan for anything more than a short term fill in. It is pretty rare that the new head coach is someone that was on the staff that was fired unless that was a long-time assistant that was viewed as the heir apparent. I know there are still some that think Kill walks on water but I think he will be a tough sell for a top level program with his age and health history. I don't totally believe Kill when he says he won't ever be a head coach again because I don't think he can help himself but I don't believe it will be at a power 5 school.

Barring a NCAA or legal scandal, there is a 0.0% chance that Chris Ash is fired as Rutgers head coach after the 2017 season.

Exactly. I think it's extremely unlikely he'd even be fired after 2018. Ash inherited a mess, has recruited well, and he'll likely get at least 4 years.

Plus, do people really think that Kill, who has lived and worked in the Midwest his entire life is going to stay near NYC for very long?

I don't think Kill is Rutgers backup plan for anything more than a short term fill in. It is pretty rare that the new head coach is someone that was on the staff that was fired unless that was a long-time assistant that was viewed as the heir apparent. I know there are still some that think Kill walks on water but I think he will be a tough sell for a top level program with his age and health history. I don't totally believe Kill when he says he won't ever be a head coach again because I don't think he can help himself but I don't believe it will be at a power 5 school.

I agree with the bold. I would be willing to bet on him seriously angling for and going after the KState job if/when Snyder hangs it up. Especially now with the throat cancer which Coach Snyder hopefully recovers from.

Any team in the big12 should look Claeys as a DC, he is the perfect DC for that conference. Same with Sawvel for that matter. First time in my life I was more worried about good running teams than good passing teams.

Any team in the big12 should look Claeys as a DC, he is the perfect DC for that conference. Same with Sawvel for that matter. First time in my life I was more worried about good running teams than good passing teams.

They were as good a defensive unit as I can ever remember the Gophers having. I trust the new staff, but I know we'll miss how well the defense has played. The game against Ohio St in the snow was something to behold.

Dont let the bowl game fool you. We were not exactly the greatest pass defense last year. #73 in passing yards per game (230yd avg) and 22 passing tds. Much better in 2015 vs pass

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dont let the bowl game fool you. We were not exactly the greatest pass defense last year. #73 in passing yards per game (230yd avg) and 22 passing tds. Much better in 2015 vs pass

Most of those yards on third and fourth and long on screens vs the blitz... good times. They got better as the year wore on sniffing out screens, contain, etc at least that is my recollection.

Well, the bowl game fooled me.

I agree with the bold. I would be willing to bet on him seriously angling for and going after the KState job if/when Snyder hangs it up. Especially now with the throat cancer which Coach Snyder hopefully recovers from.

I've heard Kansas State won't even consider people who aren't K state people.

They tried that last time and had to bring Snyder back

I've heard Kansas State won't even consider people who aren't K state people.

They tried that last time and had to bring Snyder back

Good thing Tracy Claeys did his undergrad in Manhattan then, isn't it....

And while Kill may not be "K state people," he was born in the state, went to college in the state, and spent eight years coaching in the state.

I like TC, but he played the whole situation / aftermath wrong-ish.

A year off is a good idea, someone out there should recognize his abilities and give him a job after that.

I'm a bit surprised he hasn't gotten an analyst job in the meantime.

I like TC, but he played the whole situation / aftermath wrong-ish.

A year off is a good idea, someone out there should recognize his abilities and give him a job after that.

I'm a bit surprised he hasn't gotten an analyst job in the meantime.

I really really hope you mean an analyst for a coaching staff and not a TV analyst

They were as good a defensive unit as I can ever remember the Gophers having. I trust the new staff, but I know we'll miss how well the defense has played. The game against Ohio St in the snow was something to behold.

Indeed it was.

Top Bottom