Erik Gibson Commits to Minnesota

Pompous is getting at one of my issues with the various rating systems. These services throw out their numbers - 3*, 4*, .860 - whatever - but I still wonder about the methodology used to arrive at those numbers. What criteria do they use? Who assigns the ratings? Are they based off film study, in-person evaluation, interviews with coaches? Maybe if you pay for their service, they explain it more. I assume there's a method behind the numbers, but without knowing that method, as far as I know, they could be throwing darts at a wall, or rolling out bingo balls to get their numbers.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but without some kind of frame of reference, it makes me skeptical about the validity of those numbers. It's like a public-opinion poll - unless you know the methodology of the poll, it's hard to tell if the results are meaningful or skewed.

Made me chuckle, probably not too far from the truth...

If he's a good hitter how come he can't hit good?
He's got hair on his ass
He's got a baseball body

This scene can't be played enough--

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pWgyy_rlmag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After watching his highlights I am glad that we are recruiting him as a wide receiver and not defensive back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Pompous is getting at one of my issues with the various rating systems. These services throw out their numbers - 3*, 4*, .860 - whatever - but I still wonder about the methodology used to arrive at those numbers. What criteria do they use? Who assigns the ratings? Are they based off film study, in-person evaluation, interviews with coaches? Maybe if you pay for their service, they explain it more. I assume there's a method behind the numbers, but without knowing that method, as far as I know, they could be throwing darts at a wall, or rolling out bingo balls to get their numbers.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but without some kind of frame of reference, it makes me skeptical about the validity of those numbers. It's like a public-opinion poll - unless you know the methodology of the poll, it's hard to tell if the results are meaningful or skewed.

They explain their methodology on their websites

Michigan kid who the Fleck staff has been following now for a long time. They wanted him bad according to the recruiting sites & got their man. You can see he gets off the line against bump 'n' run well, blocks well, runs good routes, catches the ball in traffic, doesn't go down easy & I like that the QB trusts him enough to just throw it in his direction, trusting that he'll come down with it. As for his 40 time, to paraphrase Bum Phillips on Earl Campbell, "I reckon if it's 3rd & 40, we won't throw it to Gibson".

Too early of course but he reminds me of Cris Carter. Well, I hope he is that good.

FWIW... Scout has him as the 97th overall ranked WR. And 29th among the 122 3 star WRs they have. So would put him in the 76th percentile for their 3 star WRs.

Also found it a little interesting (and illustrates just how much of a crapshoot rankings are), Scout's 96th ranked WR has offers from all the helmet schools (Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan, LSU, etc).

Thanks for these updates Ty. I find them far more informative than the mathematically mysterious 247 Composite. When Rivals weighs in we can get a better sense for an average rating.

5.5 three star WR on Rivals

Ok, so they feel like he's in the lower third tier of the three stars, similar to 247. This solidifies his status as Fleck's lowest ranked player to date. It will be interesting to see how he does in a few years and also interesting Gobie said he was a Plan A guy so the coaches clearly feel he's highly, highly underrated if they're accepting his commitment in April. Who's right?

Also, it will be interesting to see whether 247 re-rates or stands pat at 81.

247 Composite now factors in Rivals 3 star 5.5 rating as well as ESPN. ESPN gives him highest 3 star grade (79).

Gibson moves from 0.8216 to .8394 rating in 247 Composite.

Made me chuckle, probably not too far from the truth...

If he's a good hitter how come he can't hit good?
He's got hair on his ass
He's got a baseball body

This scene can't be played enough--

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pWgyy_rlmag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Whose fabio?

Top Bottom