Isaiah Washington to play in Ballslife All American game, Big time competition!

1. Are the videos of him actually being uploaded by him? Is it his Youtube account? If not, then he isn't seeing a dime.
2. Can you elaborate on the numbers you've seen? I've been a Youtube partner and know for a fact that 100,000 views results in very little money (roughly $100 if I'm remembering correctly). Maybe they're paying out a lot more than they used to, but I doubt it.

I should just shut up. I don't know anything and this is all just reckless speculation with half baked theories.

I don't remember what video I saw, I thought it showed you can make money (I probably embellished on quite a bit) on making videos (emphasis on plural) with 100,000 views. I do think it depends on the demographics too. It was an article/video about their ad bidding system.

I'm moving on. Go Isaiah!

I should just shut up. I don't know anything and this is all just reckless speculation with half baked theories.

I don't remember what video I saw, I thought it showed you can make money (I probably embellished on quite a bit) on making videos (emphasis on plural) with 100,000 views. I do think it depends on the demographics too. It was an article/video about their ad bidding system.

I'm moving on. Go Isaiah!

Haha no worries, I was just wondering. I don't feel like looking, but I'm guessing most, if not all of his videos, were uploaded by someone else and they are the ones making money from it. The amount of money that is being made from most of them probably isn't worth the time it took to record/make them.

If he is a good kid fine. If he shares the ball, Great! Not an old timer waiting for problems. Just not so sure about all this hype.

oh yeah, in the Ball is Life game: 18 shots, 0-3 3pt, 8 reb, 4 assists and 4 tos. They scored 154 points and he had 4 assists as the principal ballhandler in 21 minutes. Not exactly Jason Kidd.

12/18 is not bad, 12/15 2pt fg's even better and 8 reb in 21 mins seems good. Actually, I'd take those shooting and rebound numbers any day.
I dont think the Ball is Life game's are very serious competitively (Just an observation from watching the tape, maybe it is)

Like you, I am not sure if he'll live up to the hype. I don't see a lot of that translating, I assume he will have to play a completely different type of game than I've seen in the ball is life videos.

I also don't think a college coaching staff has evaluated him as a player from those kinda highlights, they probably have a better idea of what they are getting into than I do.

Last week it was someone speculating that he would decommit for a guaranteed starting spot. This week it's NCAA violations.

Y'all make my a$$ itch.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1. Plays with a little too much flash for my tastes. - I don't want a Westbrook type ego to upset the concept of teamwork the team established this past year.
2. His own brand is fine. - As long as he remembers, "The name on the front of the Jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the name on the back!" - Herb Brooks
3. I haven't seen a lot of defensive highlights. If he plays matador defense will he be able to outscore his deficiencies in the B1G?
4. He isn't going to be able to sashay his way to a finger roll without being touched. Can his flash handle some punishment?
5. Is he all flash off the court? That could be bad.

If he is a good kid fine. If he shares the ball, Great! Not an old timer waiting for problems. Just not so sure about all this hype.

oh yeah, in the Ball is Life game: 18 shots, 0-3 3pt, 8 reb, 4 assists and 4 tos. They scored 154 points and he had 4 assists as the principal ballhandler in 21 minutes. Not exactly Jason Kidd.

You shouldn't be coming to any kind of conclusions from an all-star game stat line.

I also don't think a college coaching staff has evaluated him as a player from those kinda highlights, they probably have a better idea of what they are getting into than I do.

BINGO!!

So to sum it up, some Minnesota fans are uncomfortable with new and exciting things - in this case, having a recruit with this much hype/national attention. Maybe try thinking about it this way:

1. His inclusion in all-star games in a nice bonus for the Gophers. Every time an all-star roster comes out and "MINNESOTA" is next to his name among the Kentucky, Kansas and UCLA signees, that is FREE marketing for our school and, more importantly, the hoops program Pitino is building.

2. The highlight videos are almost always going to include primarily scoring and maybe the flashiest of passes and ballhandling, but how many people want to watch a highlight of solid defense or textbook passing? NOTE: I don't see how having someone with Washington's handles (finally a true point who can dribble this well) could ever be considered a bad thing?

3. The dude won Mr. Basketball in the state of New York. This is no small feat and he didn't win the award for highlight tapes or doing a cool finger roll or his YouTube following. It was based on achievements in HS basketball and his stats. Since 2000, 6 of NY's Mr. Basketballs have gone on to be drafted to the NBA. Among those who weren't drafted, a good chunk were GOOD Division 1 players at top-level programs. See: Greg Paulus (Duke), Sylven Landesberg (UVa), Brandon Triche (Syracuse) and Kevin Huerter (Maryland). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._New_York_Basketball So...10 of the last 17 winners either did well enough in college to get drafted or average double-digit scoring at the college game's highest level. That's not even counting a couple "average" college contributors or recent guys who the jury is still out on. So yeah, I'll take the nearly 60% chance that Isaiah turns into one of those two results and I'll be damn excited watching it play out!

Honestly, we should ALL be enjoying this hype and be blessed he's coming here. This is just the beginning, friends.

P.S. If he averages 9.3 points/game this year like Huerter (the 2016 winner) did for Maryland as a freshman, the Gophers are going to be a damn tough team to beat!

How old are people in here? Jesus. Relax. If you're basing your thoughts on a kids highlight video or from random all-star games, get with the times. These are fun. These mean nothing. Its like saying you thought a Cornerback got toasted a bunch in the Pro Bowl so he isn't good.

I'd also challenge anyone to find a video of a high school guard showing a ton of really impressive defensive possessions. They don't exist.

I'm super stoked for Washington. I work in an office of non-basketball fans who ask about him weekly. They are excited. Some of these people have never been to a Gopher hoops game (despite being U of M students and athletes, who have won national titles as a Gopher) but want to attend now, because of the Jelly craze. These are the new fans. This is a new era and I for one am very excited. Not just for Washington but for Pitino and Fleck and everything else.

Final thought: Washington can be a pass first guard for the Gophers. He can handle the ball and get to the rim consistently. He doesn't have to dominate or be a primary scorer like he did in high school. If you're really thinking the only reason he is getting offers is because he can do the Jelly, then you don't understand basketball at all. It would be like a kid only getting recruited because he can dunk.

Last week it was someone speculating that he would decommit for a guaranteed starting spot. This week it's NCAA violations.

Y'all make my a$$ itch.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It wasn't just "someone", it was the same damn poster...

I'll post a few full length games of Isaiah that I watched like I did with Jamir so people can decide for themselves what his game is all about. This is one from his senior year, the only I could find and the others are from his junior year. This was against St. Anthony's, a top 10 team in the country and their opposing PG is D1 and signed to Howard.

I've watched all four games and recorded his total points, field goal's made, field goals attempted, 3 point FG's made and attempted, assists, steals and FT's made and attempted (I know, I have no life) and this is what I have come up with:

He is a volume shooter/scorer. In most of those games, it takes him quite a few shots to warm up and he misses quite a few early but he does eventually heat up and will end up with a nice point total. Still, he doesn't shoot a great percentage from the field although he is a very good FT shooter, at least in the games I saw. Streaky 3 point shooter as well. At times he was caught napping on D and allowed his man to nail a 3. I'm sure when Pitino gets on him about that he will be fine on that end and play hard the entire possession on that end of the floor as he won't be asked to carry the scoring load that he does at this level. Obviously he players very different in these games than he does in all star games and summer playground games. He is a lot less flashy and plays to the crowd a lot less although he can still take a guy one on one when he needs to. I do think he'll be about a 9 PPG, 2-3 APG guy instant offense guy off the bench when he's on. I hope this helps people get a better understanding of his game and ability.

The guy isn't even on campus and people are worried he will be ineligible or that he is too flashy.

The guy isn't even on campus and people are worried he will be ineligible or that he is too flashy.

No kid who can handle the ball could possibly play defense! I heard he is petitioning to change the mascot to a jar of Smuckers so he can parlay that into an endorsement.

You can't budge one bit on any of it. A booster could pay an athlete millions of dollars for his autograph, and then you may as well throw it open to everything and get rid of amateurism.

So? What exactly do you mean by that? Based on what I recall from some of your other posts, it is fair to say you believe that because there will be new challenges with allowing people to make money off their demand and brand that we just shouldn't make an attempt?

1. Plays with a little too much flash for my tastes. - I don't want a Westbrook type ego to upset the concept of teamwork the team established this past year.
2. His own brand is fine. - As long as he remembers, "The name on the front of the Jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the name on the back!" - Herb Brooks
3. I haven't seen a lot of defensive highlights. If he plays matador defense will he be able to outscore his deficiencies in the B1G?
4. He isn't going to be able to sashay his way to a finger roll without being touched. Can his flash handle some punishment?
5. Is he all flash off the court? That could be bad.

Seems like you're making some weird and neurotic/paranoid assumptions...

BINGO!!

So to sum it up, some Minnesota fans are uncomfortable with new and exciting things - in this case, having a recruit with this much hype/national attention. Maybe try thinking about it this way:

1. His inclusion in all-star games in a nice bonus for the Gophers. Every time an all-star roster comes out and "MINNESOTA" is next to his name among the Kentucky, Kansas and UCLA signees, that is FREE marketing for our school and, more importantly, the hoops program Pitino is building.

2. The highlight videos are almost always going to include primarily scoring and maybe the flashiest of passes and ballhandling, but how many people want to watch a highlight of solid defense or textbook passing? NOTE: I don't see how having someone with Washington's handles (finally a true point who can dribble this well) could ever be considered a bad thing?

3. The dude won Mr. Basketball in the state of New York. This is no small feat and he didn't win the award for highlight tapes or doing a cool finger roll or his YouTube following. It was based on achievements in HS basketball and his stats. Since 2000, 6 of NY's Mr. Basketballs have gone on to be drafted to the NBA. Among those who weren't drafted, a good chunk were GOOD Division 1 players at top-level programs. See: Greg Paulus (Duke), Sylven Landesberg (UVa), Brandon Triche (Syracuse) and Kevin Huerter (Maryland). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._New_York_Basketball So...10 of the last 17 winners either did well enough in college to get drafted or average double-digit scoring at the college game's highest level. That's not even counting a couple "average" college contributors or recent guys who the jury is still out on. So yeah, I'll take the nearly 60% chance that Isaiah turns into one of those two results and I'll be damn excited watching it play out!

Honestly, we should ALL be enjoying this hype and be blessed he's coming here. This is just the beginning, friends.

P.S. If he averages 9.3 points/game this year like Huerter (the 2016 winner) did for Maryland as a freshman, the Gophers are going to be a damn tough team to beat!

Spot on

So? What exactly do you mean by that? Based on what I recall from some of your other posts, it is fair to say you believe that because there will be new challenges with allowing people to make money off their demand and brand that we just shouldn't make an attempt?

I'm saying that allowing people to make money from their celebrity is the antithesis of amateurism. There's no way for the two to co-exist. If the NCAA wants to allow that, fine, but then they aren't amateur athletes anymore.

Aside from that, I don't understand the incessant push so many have to force the NCAA to change their model. Once again, for the nth time, if there were a better model in the US, someone would put capital behind it. They don't because there isn't. If someone doesn't like what the NCAA is offering, go play overseas. Stop trying to force them because you think it's "unfair." If it were truly so "unfair," people wouldn't be killing themselves to score a scholarship.

Added a lot of followers yesterday. 168k.

Richard Pitino remains under 10000

Wow, I make people's asses itch!

The Full games look a lot better than the highlight reels. Thanks for posting them.

I'll just shush and be happy the Gophers are improving.

Wow, I make people's asses itch!

The Full games look a lot better than the highlight reels. Thanks for posting them.

I'll just shush and be happy the Gophers are improving.

Yes, please do shush. Maybe don't talk about IW for a couple of years and then check in with us. In a recent thread you 1) questioned whether he'd ever wind up on campus and in this thread you 2) call him out for being self centered. You realize you're defaming one of the best recruits we've gotten in a long time largely because he's....popular?

Your comments are helpful in pointing out the resistance that flamboyant personalities like IW and our new head football coach have in this market: Minnesotans are drawn to folks who quietly go about their business and too much flair is suspicious and contemptuous to some. Hopefully IW will be a bit more prepared to tune you and your ilk out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your comments are helpful in pointing out the resistance that flamboyant personalities like IW and our new head football coach have in this market: Minnesotans are drawn to folks who quietly go about their business and too much flair is suspicious and contemptuous to some. Hopefully IW will be a bit more prepared to tune you and your ilk out.

Couldn't agree more with this part! I believe we will look back at this Pitino/Fleck period (btw, we are so lucky to have two young coaches with this kind of energy and ability to connect with the players like they do!) as a turning point in the overall tone of the major Gopher sports! Hopefully we will all laugh about the change of our collective frame of mind from waiting for the next miraculously bad turn of events to expecting (and accepting) good things in recruiting/culture/on-court (or field) results.

Yes, please do shush. Maybe don't talk about IW for a couple of years and then check in with us. In a recent thread you 1) questioned whether he'd ever wind up on campus and in this thread you 2) call him out for being self centered. You realize you're defaming one of the best recruits we've gotten in a long time largely because he's....popular?

In my defense I offer: Isaiah J.R. Rider

In my defense I offer: Isaiah J.R. Rider

You mean former conference player of the year, two time second team All-American and top 5 pick in the NBA draft Isaiah J.R. Rider? A guy who scraped by scoring over 16ppg in the NBA and made a cool $22 million? If Isaiah Washington has his career, I'd be happy...and I think Dimes would be as well.

Then again, J.R. Rider was suspended from the NIT for having a tutor write papers for him (3 papers had his name misspelled).

Then again, J.R. Rider was suspended from the NIT for having a tutor write papers for him (3 papers had his name misspelled).

That right there should have authenticated that he authored them!

Top Bottom