In-depth profile on former MSU star Charles Rogers who now works at auto body shop

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Lansing State Journal:

The man who was once the best player in college football works at Uptown Motors, an auto repair shop off Palm Beach Boulevard in northeast Fort Myers, Florida.

His business card says he’s the general manager, but, admittedly, he doesn’t know much about cars.

He’ll help with taping up wheels for painting or help lift a motor here and there, but as far as day-to-day maintenance, Rogers said he likes to be more of a “PR guy” for the shop, which is owned by his childhood friend Mel Washington.

The building is painted black, scalding hot to the touch in the Florida sun and surrounded by a privacy fence and razor wire. Rogers is eager to show off a pair of pit bulls that sit in a cage on the hot concrete out back. There are more dogs inside that he glowingly refers to as “the hyenas.”

“You can’t touch these ones.” He smiled.

Rogers is 35 now. He’s wearing $600 shorts and a Wal-Mart T-shirt. He has tattoos on his arms that together spell out "Sag Nasty," an homage to his hometown. He is nearly 30 pounds down from his MSU playing weight of 205. He is shaky. His hands never seem to stay still.

He was the No. 2 pick in the 2003 NFL Draft. He signed a $39.5 million contract with the Detroit Lions. It included a guaranteed signing bonus of $14.4 million.

Without football in his life, Rogers’ rap sheet started to fill up.

He was blowing through money, making bad investments in car washes and barber shops. He once gave a friend $10,000 to open a business and didn’t even ask what the money was for.

Rogers was arrested six times between September of 2008 to October of 2012, on charges ranging from assault and battery and probation violations to DUI, open container violations and marijuana possession.

“I don’t think marijuana was my downfall, but I can’t narrow it down, man,” he said. “I have a beer watching the game or a fight, but I smoke every day though. I smoke every day. Not even going to lie to you. But I am drug-free other than that."

He said he might also turn his love of weed into a legal venture in the future.

"You can make a lot of money off it, too," he said. "I know it inside and out."

“I am getting my life together… A fresh start,” he said as he stepped out into the Florida heat and pulled down his sunglasses. “Do I need a little love? Yeah. Am I still trying to find Charles Rogers? Yeah. I stay optimistic and positive. I’ve been to hell and back, but I stay strong. I still have faith. I’m still a young man. It ain’t over. I’m going to be all right, you know? I’m going to be all right.”

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...harles-rogers-michigan-state-lions/100577018/

Go Gophers!!

Ugly. Life is hard, even for those gifted with athletic talent. I loved Rogers at MSU.
Perhaps he is happy. I guess I can't tell from the story.
This got me thinking about Thomas Hamner. Anyone hear of an update from him?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

reminds me of trailer park boys how ricky is always gettting his life back together by selling dope.

Money well spent, if you ask me. I have several pair.

http://rodengray.com/collections/shorts/600-1000

Sweatshorts ... 715
p1VPSKM.gif

It always astounds me how these guys can blow through so much money but then you think about it and you realize when you are 21 and suddenly a millionaire it can go to your head fast.

It always astounds me how these guys can blow through so much money but then you think about it and you realize when you are 21 and suddenly a millionaire it can go to your head fast.

Thing is, we read about these salaries, but you have to remember - the agent gets a cut - the business manager gets a cut - the taxman gets a cut - you buy a house for Mom - help out some relatives - your buddies on the posse - and that money goes away in a hurry. And, to be fair, some of these guys don't make good decisions with their money - big house, flashy car, some bling - it all adds up. And, there are a lot of people looking to take advantage of athletes with phony investments, etc.

I would like to see pro teams do more to help players and prepare them for what they're going to deal with - mandatory financial counseling, legal advice, etc from someone who isn't looking to make a quick buck off an athlete.

Thing is, we read about these salaries, but you have to remember - the agent gets a cut - the business manager gets a cut - the taxman gets a cut - you buy a house for Mom - help out some relatives - your buddies on the posse - and that money goes away in a hurry. And, to be fair, some of these guys don't make good decisions with their money - big house, flashy car, some bling - it all adds up. And, there are a lot of people looking to take advantage of athletes with phony investments, etc.

I would like to see pro teams do more to help players and prepare them for what they're going to deal with - mandatory financial counseling, legal advice, etc from someone who isn't looking to make a quick buck off an athlete.

Agree. I know the NFL does some of this, but it appears that more is needed.

I read an article a few months ago about an NFL player (can't remember his name) who makes $3M a year and whose mother is a CPA. IIRC, he's on a $5K a month budget (drives a 10 year old car) and the rest is invested conservatively. He seemed very happy. Smart guy.

edit: I found the article and it's Darrius Heyward-Bay of Pittsburgh. I understated his earnings and his budget but I got the concept correct.

Top Bottom