staff sizes

CFB is anything but fair, but yeah the staff size thing is getting absurd.

One big problem: No one really knows what that number is -- or what it should be.

That's where staff size becomes an issue. To some, it is a symbol for the widening gap between the haves and have nots.

The voices from the coaching community are getting louder. If, for example, Minnesota can't afford one analyst and Alabama has an unlimited number, well, that's a competitive advantage.

If there is one thing coaches hate, it's being outspent before their teams can be outplayed.

"It's an unfair advantage," one Big Ten coach said. "It's completely ridiculous."

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy took it further.

"The mistake they're making is they don't have control of these analysts," he said. "It's ridiculous.

"I don't care what the number is, the analyst position is a good thing for coaches who got left out of the coaching search. We bring them in here and pay the $50,000. But there needs to be a limit. Why should one school have 15 and I have two?"

Go Gophers!!

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy took it further.

"The mistake they're making is they don't have control of these analysts," he said. "It's ridiculous.

"I don't care what the number is, the analyst position is a good thing for coaches who got left out of the coaching search. We bring them in here and pay the $50,000. But there needs to be a limit. Why should one school have 15 and I have two?"

Might have been 11-2* last year with more analysts.

But Minnesota has at least two and one is a former defensive coordinator.

Doesn't the real or true root of every discussion, argument, and pissing contest on GopherHole, come down to "staff size"?

It's not the size of the staff, it's how you....

I was wondering how long it would take. I still remember Brewster's first signing day social and he was introducing his staff and mentioned all these Quality Control and Recruitment Coordinator type positions that I had never really heard of before that point (Mason may have had them, I was just unaware). It was surprising to me they could have so many coaches that don't coach. I think since then the number has increased substantially.

I don't know how you honestly limit this. What if a guy is a Junior Assistant Associate Co-Athletic Director of the Football Operation - is he on the football staff or in the athletic department (think Dan O'Brien before he was hired as a coach)? If the athletic department hires 50 interns but 40 of them work nearly exclusively on football, do they count toward the number? If the athletic department hires 20 people to work on recruiting for all programs, but 10 of them do mostly football... I'm sure the Nick Saban's of the world will figure out how to get around any limit just like they figured out how to get around the limited amount of coaches.

I don't know how you honestly limit this. What if a guy is a Junior Assistant Associate Co-Athletic Director of the Football Operation - is he on the football staff or in the athletic department (think Dan O'Brien before he was hired as a coach)? If the athletic department hires 50 interns but 40 of them work nearly exclusively on football, do they count toward the number? If the athletic department hires 20 people to work on recruiting for all programs, but 10 of them do mostly football... I'm sure the Nick Saban's of the world will figure out how to get around any limit just like they figured out how to get around the limited amount of coaches.

Agree. Those that have the cash flow to add "staff", will continue to do so, they will just give them different non-football related titles.

Top Bottom