Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Default

For guys who don't really care there seems to be a healthy amount of caring going on.

I think the bigger problem then the actual Lake renaming argument is the assumptions and labels one side will place on the other, which ultimately shuts down conversation and debate. Not very American.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsfan24 View Post
    You don't want to pay a single dollar for the purge yet you can't understand why some may not want to pay for lakes with slave owners names on it or billion dollar walls? Your fiscal outrage is very selective....telling so.

The fact that you equate someone who owned someone else as merely flawed is a whole other conversation. Get over it? You can't be referring to me because I said I couldn't care less I just find it strange that anyone would actually hold your position. You are cool spending money and creating laws to protect yourself from Muslim terrorists when you have a better chance to get struck by lightening twice in the same day.

No one alive today is a victim of slavery? Hmmmmm yeah okay, the overwhelming majority of black Americans have no idea what their family names are or where they're from but ok.

Perpetrator? No. Beneficiary? Yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The multi billion dollar wall will be paid for in year one if we reduce the number of illegals by even 15%. We spend 100+ billion per year on the cost of illegals. It would be a difference maker for those here legally- including blacks now semi self enslaved by the government entitlement system.

The signs for changing the name of Lake Calhoun to cleanse the souls of a few activists? Those will never do a thing except arouse old animosities that should have long since been forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by minibeaver View Post
    For guys who don't really care there seems to be a healthy amount of caring going on.

I think the bigger problem then the actual Lake renaming argument is the assumptions and labels one side will place on the other, which ultimately shuts down conversation and debate. Not very American.
    What assumptions, what labels? You lost me? Not very American? I hear that term frequently and believe I know what you are referring too but I'm open to your explanation so please explain what do you mean by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    The multi billion dollar wall will be paid for in year one if we reduce the number of illegals by even 15%. We spend 100+ billion per year on the cost of illegals. It would be a difference maker for those here legally- including blacks now semi self enslaved by the government entitlement system.

The signs for changing the name of Lake Calhoun to cleanse the souls of a few activists? Those will never do a thing except arouse old animosities that should have long since been forgiven.
    I can see how being forced to let go of the name of a white slaveholder would enrage you, ghazi.

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post

Semi enslaved by the government; how so? Entitlement programs? How does one equate with the other? Most blacks aren't on "entitlement" programs yet most blacks do pay taxes......taxes that go to maintain (in this case) a public lake named after a person who was a proponent for slavery. Again not to forget that the people who are taking exception appear to be white people (giving credit where credit is do).

Get over it? Again, you don't see why that would be a problem for some Americans if we continue to honor those that participated in it? What you actually want is for others to solely bare the burden of acceptance, change and tolerance.

There was nothing exceptional about John Calhoun and the lake had a name before he ever showed up. This is easy.

Looks like we are going to have to rename a few early Presidents names while we are at it. What name do you think Jefferson should be referred to from now on?
    Aloha Mr. Hand

7. Default

What assumptions, what labels? You lost me? Not very American? I hear that term frequently and believe I know what you are referring too but I'm open to your explanation so please explain what do you mean by it.

Read the post below yours by jamiche. Stuff like that. You know what I mean SF24. I have not kept up with this at all, but someone mentioned that everyone on the board or council or whoever voted unanimously to change it. What do you think would happen if someone voted to keep the old name?

My man; you can't move forward if you don't resolve the past. You can't say the past is in the past but bring it forward. You can't be my brother if you expect me to pretend or ignore what was done to my ancestors by your (assumption) ancestors. You can't honor the oppressors of my ancestors and expect me to be okay with it.

Would I protest or make the effort to attend a meeting in my basement to change Lake Calhoun's name? Nope. But I would look sideways at somebody who got pissed at someone else who wanted too.

You're one of the most fortunate & privileged people in the history of our planet. You have everything & yet, you cling to this victimhood. Rise above man, rise above!

How do you go through life knowing who not to trust because of ancestral abuses? Black Africans, who had been involved in the slave trade since the beginning of recorded history, sold your ancestors to Europeans. Why hold only the Europeans accountable? Personally I'd be more angry at the people who captured & enslaved my ancestors, then the ones who bought them. Furthermore, my ancestors didn't do anything to yours. Mine were barefoot, emaciated potato farmers in Ireland, who never stepped foot in this country until the civil war was already underway.

Lastly, every powerful group of conquerors had slaves and/or did horrible things. The Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Mesopotamians, English, Carthaginians, Ottomans, Zulus, American Indians, Incas, Aztecs, Chinese, Russians, Germans, Japanese, et al. None of those groups built their culture on kindness & niceties.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiche View Post
    Then name it something else.
    I thought a reasonable solution was to name it after the famous naturalist John B. (?) Calhoun rather than John C. Calhoun, but t'hat not what the Progressives want. They want to make sure it isn't named a after a White man. It's about erasing history.

In your haste to be a victim you are confusing the naming of a Lake after an individual of questionable (not really) morality with an entire race of people.

Why name it something impossible to pronounce, in a language no one speaks, used by a tribe of people who themselves employed slavery, that compose only 2% of our population? How does this make any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by jamiche View Post
    I can see how being forced to let go of the name of a white slaveholder would enrage you, ghazi.
    No you don't. If you did, you'd realize the ridiculous precedent this sets. Half the streets in Uptown are named after racists & killers. 6 blocks from Lake Calhoun sits Jefferson Elementary School. Jefferson was a slave owner too. Do we change the name of the school next? Do we change the name of every single school named Jefferson in the state? In the country? Change the streets & highways named after him? Take him off our currency? Erase his name from the rolls of former Presidents? Shall we replace him with Crazy Hourse or Harriett Tubman?

Quote Originally Posted by minibeaver View Post
    Read the post below yours by jamiche. Stuff like that. You know what I mean SF24. I have not kept up with this at all, but someone mentioned that everyone on the board or council or whoever voted unanimously to change it. What do you think would happen if someone voted to keep the old name?
    Got you; they would take heat, maybe even be called a racist. I admit that.

Question, why would somebody want to keep the name? If it's someone who is inconsistent on their positions it might be well deserved. There also might be a valid reason or rational......I'm listening.

Got you; they would take heat, maybe even be called a racist. I admit that.

Question, why would somebody want to keep the name? If it's someone who is inconsistent on their positions it might be well deserved. There also might be a valid reason or rational......I'm listening.

Why would someone want to keep the name "lake calhoun?"

Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    You're one of the most fortunate & privileged people in the history of our planet. You have everything & yet, you cling to this victimhood. Rise above man, rise above!

How do you go through life knowing who not to trust because of ancestral abuses? Black Africans, who had been involved in the slave trade since the beginning of recorded history, sold your ancestors to Europeans. Why hold only the Europeans accountable? Personally I'd be more angry at the people who captured & enslaved my ancestors, then the ones who bought them. Furthermore, my ancestors didn't do anything to yours. Mine were barefoot, emaciated potato farmers in Ireland, who never stepped foot in this country until the civil war was already underway.

Lastly, every powerful group of conquerors had slaves and/or did horrible things. The Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Mesopotamians, English, Carthaginians, Ottomans, Zulus, American Indians, Incas, Aztecs, Chinese, Russians, Germans, Japanese, et al. None of those groups built their culture on kindness & niceties.
    Damn dude! We were only talking about lake Calhoun!

My man, we just talking. Go back and read the part were I said that I wouldn't participate in the ACTUAL discussion of changing the name it were happening in my basement. On the grand scale of things it's not that important......to me. I won't however minimize its importance to someone else.

Now; I also see the very ugly thing you are attempting to insinuate. Is it because of ignorance (you not understanding indentured servitude vs slavery) or just evil (you attempting to convince....yourself really that blacks were sold into slavery by blacks.)

Victimhood? Me? Nah, I'm just being real. Why are you trying to be all politically correct? Why do you think I need to make you feel all warm and cuddly by not speaking my mind?

I dare you to address this; why do you believe tax payers who are descents of slaves, should have have their taxes go towards honoring a slave owner?

Let's narrow it back down to the topic, tax payers and Calhoun.

Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    No you don't. If you did, you'd realize the ridiculous precedent this sets. Half the streets in Uptown are named after racists & killers. 6 blocks from Lake Calhoun sits Jefferson Elementary School. Jefferson was a slave owner too. Do we change the name of the school next? Do we change the name of every single school named Jefferson in the state? In the country? Change the streets & highways named after him? Take him off our currency? Erase his name from the rolls of former Presidents? Shall we replace him with Crazy Hourse or Harriett Tubman?
    Now this is a very fair argument (IMO). What do I think we should do. Leave the names alone, make the history books reflect the true history (I don't need the plaque at Jefferson School saying he was a raping pedophile...which he was), and give me my damn Nat Turner and Django school........Django Senior High School home of the Fighting White Faces!