Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsfan24 View Post

Got you; they would take heat, maybe even be called a racist. I admit that.

Question, why would somebody want to keep the name? If it's someone who is inconsistent on their positions it might be well deserved. There also might be a valid reason or rational......I'm listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So, did a quick read up (wiki) on the guy. (For anyone who doesn't know) Guess it's named Calhoun because he's the guy who sent the surveyors out to the area? Had a long political career, he was pro-slavery, but (this is where it gets wierd) he was an avid supporter of minority rights. Not sure what was all included in the term "minority" back then. He had apparently done enough positive things in his career that in 1957 a commission led by JFK named him a top five Senator in the history of the U.S.

All that said, it doesn't matter to me what the name of the lake is, hell I had to Google the guy. But it's not about that, it's about what will happen to a politician or anyone in the public eye who suggests keeping it.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    I thought a reasonable solution was to name it after the famous naturalist John B. (?) Calhoun rather than John C. Calhoun, but t'hat not what the Progressives want. They want to make sure it isn't named a after a White man. It's about erasing history.
    Algonquin J Calhoun. Neither white, slaveholder nor even real. Who can be offended with that
    ~ Wright about Life - Having fun with words since 1989 ~

Quote Originally Posted by GoodasGold View Post
    Algonquin J Calhoun. Neither white, slaveholder nor even real. Who can be offended with that
    What about Lake Trump? I bet that would have those ball-less council members rethinking Calhoun! If not Lake Trump, Lake Bachman has a nice ring to it.

4. Default

This is dumb.

Should we rename Washington County because George Washington owned slaves?

5. Default

What about Lake Trump? I bet that would have those ball-less council members rethinking Calhoun! If not Lake Trump, Lake Bachman has a nice ring to it.
    Wouldn't work. It's too deep for either of them.

6. Default

This is dumb.

Should we rename Washington County because George Washington owned slaves?

How about Jim Calhoun. won a national title with MPLS alum Khalid El Amin. Placates muslims, anti slavery folks, and allows everyone who is just used to/likes the name lake calhoun to keep it with no extra cost to taxpayers.

Blog Entries

More proof that our country has way too many people with too much time on their hands.

weird dupe

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by El Amin Fan View Post
    I can't imagine a current rightie base that defends to great lengths a man who brags about grabbing women by the pussy.
    In a private conversation? Really? Can't imagine why a conservative would go with the Supreme Court pick?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Default STrib: Effort to rename Lake Calhoun picks up steam with Minneapolis Park Board

Why name it something impossible to pronounce, in a language no one speaks, used by a tribe of people who themselves employed slavery, that compose only 2% of our population? How does this make any sense?
    What doesn't make sense is you being purposely obtuse. Stop comparing the deeds of one individual with entire groups of people. Nobody is saying buildings can't be named after a white person; the fact you are going to such extremes mean you have no argument other than you don't like it.

Last edited by Sportsfan24; 04-21-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    Why would someone want to keep the name "lake calhoun?"
    He was a product of his era and the good things he did shouldn't go unnoticed? I would the propose we rename Lake Harriet, Lake Nat Turner and Lake Harriet folks could visit the Lake Calhoun folks every weekend?

BARNBURNER!!!!!

I'm joking!

Default STrib: Effort to rename Lake Calhoun picks up steam with Minneapolis Park Board

Quote Originally Posted by minibeaver View Post
    So, did a quick read up (wiki) on the guy. (For anyone who doesn't know) Guess it's named Calhoun because he's the guy who sent the surveyors out to the area? Had a long political career, he was pro-slavery, but (this is where it gets wierd) he was an avid supporter of minority rights. Not sure what was all included in the term "minority" back then. He had apparently done enough positive things in his career that in 1957 a commission led by JFK named him a top five Senator in the history of the U.S.

All that said, it doesn't matter to me what the name of the lake is, hell I had to Google the guy. But it's not about that, it's about what will happen to a politician or anyone in the public eye who suggests keeping it.
    That's really important to some people.

What will happen to the person who suggests keeping the Lake named after a proponent for slavery?

God damn it's hard being a white man!

Having to support the lake named after a guy who was a proponent of keeping your ancestors slaves? Get over it.

Real talk; I appreciate you taking the time to google the guy. I don't even know if Calhoun actually owned slaves and there are far worse folks than he, Thomas Jefferson and George Washington being the first to come to mind.

I get it; I'm judging them on what's accepted in 2017. Keep the name it's not that important to me.....but for the love of god get a new argument!

Where I do have a HUGE problem is the Confederate/Battle Flag. We won, they lost, the South will NEVER rise again.

Last edited by Sportsfan24; 04-21-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Wouldn't work. It's too deep for either of them.
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

He just absolutely lobbed that soft ball to you.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsfan24 View Post
    �������������������������������������������������� ������

He just absolutely lobbed that soft ball to you.

IMG_0110.JPG