ESPN: Oklahoma State, ignoring refs' error, engraves rings with '11-2'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy has extended his refusal to accept a Week 2 loss to Central Michigan last season that was marred by an officiating error with the engraving of "11-2" on the Cowboys' commemorative Alamo Bowl rings.

Central Michigan beat the Cowboys 30-27 in Week 2 after the Chippewas were incorrectly awarded an untimed down when officials flagged Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph for intentional grounding on a fourth-down incompletion as time expired.

The Chippewas subsequently scored on a Hail Mary.

Oklahoma State also lost to Baylor and Oklahoma, finishing officially at 10-3 after the Alamo win over Colorado.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...cowboys-void-refs-gaffe-11-2-alamo-bowl-rings

Go Gophers!!

Gotta love Gundy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a Gopher coach ever did something similar, Reusse might literally attempt to assassinate the gentleman. Although, if the Gophers ever benefited from a similar scenario, he would definitely award us with the phantom loss.

Stupid. Absolutely stupid.

The error straight up changed the outcome... I don't blame them.

If a Gopher coach ever did something similar, Reusse might literally attempt to assassinate the gentleman. Although, if the Gophers ever benefited from a similar scenario, he would definitely award us with the phantom loss.

heck, we have had media refer to wins as loses. doogie used to say tubby was 8-6 in the big ten, but without iowa wins, we were only 6-6. literally the dumbest take in the history of minnesota sports media, and he double and tripled down on that take all season.

My question to Gundy: If you were on the other end and your team benefited from a call like that, would you count it as a loss?

I agree that his team got jobbed. But the fact is his team had less points than his opponent when the clock ran out & the last play concluded. It was a loss.

Normally when a bad call costs a team a game the usual response from some is the losing team shouldn't have let themselves be in a position for a close game, or one play doesn't decide a game, the losing team didn't make enough plays, that's life, etc.. The officials have an enormous impact on every game and that was really atrocious, but it happens every week of the season in some form.

In reality, OSU "won" but still lost, something that can be said of a great many games over the years. In a few years only diehard OSU fans will remember. Everyone else will say OSU had a 10-3 season.

Officiating errors are part of the sport, for better or for worse. Gundy and OSU look like babies for doing this.

A bogus holding call in the first quarter changes the outcome. Silly logic.

Holding can be a judgment call.

What to do when a hold is called is not. Or in the other case intentional grounding.

Those are very different things.

It's not how life works. Poor leadership example. Flat out wrong. Don't be in a position to lose the game with an official's bad call. Be accountable. Just dumb. I don't know if i'd fire the guy, but I know I'd never hire him.

Well, it can. But, until we have robot officials without bias or other incentives it's part of the game. I don't really draw much distinction between bad calls (egregious) and what happened to OSU. It's a distinction without a difference.

It's not how life works. Poor leadership example. Flat out wrong. Don't be in a position to lose the game with an official's bad call. Be accountable. Just dumb. I don't know if i'd fire the guy, but I know I'd never hire him.

You wouldn't hire this guy?

1481174829-Oklahoma-State-TCU-Football.jpg

Actually he has 10+ wins in 5 of his last 7 seasons. Although I think this 11-2 thing is stupid, I'd hire him in a second.

What's really sad about this, while Gundy was warned to not talk publicly about the poor officiating with the treat of a substantial fine- the officiating crew was rewarded with another game the next week.. The NCAA refuses to "slap the hands" of their poor crews in football as well as basketball for fear of a boycott by the other officials. Prime example was the Northwestern-gongaza basketball game. I say, either do the job or hit the road and find someone that will do it. Mistakes happen, incompetence should never happen.

What's really sad about this, while Gundy was warned to not talk publicly about the poor officiating with the treat of a substantial fine- the officiating crew was rewarded with another game the next week.. The NCAA refuses to "slap the hands" of their poor crews in football as well as basketball for fear of a boycott by the other officials. Prime example was the Northwestern-gongaza basketball game. I say, either do the job or hit the road and find someone that will do it. Mistakes happen, incompetence should never happen.

Yes, there is no entity policing the officials. Self-regulation, particularly when the games require the mass public to have faith they're calling games fairly, is unlikely to lead to appropriate punishments. It takes some pretty egregious stuff to get fired. I believe there was a Big
Ten bball official let go awhile back but I can't recall any others.

He should have simply left off the win-loss part on the ring and put something else in there such as a logo.

Where is @dpodoll when you need him? This is right up his alley.

Let's put it this way. The Gophers are down 5 with 2 seconds left in regulation, they complete a Hail Mary touchdown pass and win the game...or they would have won the game, but the official only awarded them 2 points for the touchdown, and the Gophers end up losing because the officials failed to follow procedure. That's the difference, it's not a judgement call; it's not some 50/50 pass interference call/no-call like the Iowa game this year, it's an objective procedure with just one right way to do it. Had the officials followed instructions correctly at the end of the game, Oklahoma State had a 100% chance of winning. It would be like failing your math exam because the teacher's answer key was wrong.

Holding calls are subjective, not even close to the same thing.

What we are talking about here is a play that should not have occurred, full stop.

Holding calls are subjective, not even close to the same thing.

What we are talking about here is a play that should not have occurred, full stop.

But it did, mistakes were made, time to move on with the future instead of living in the past like a child. I thought football was a tough guy sport.

According to the rules, they won the game. It's not even debatable. It's not a judgement call like pass interference. The game was technically over, they had won the game, so they were not in a position to lose the game due to an official's bad call. Not even close. What if OK St. was up by 10 points when time expired, but the officials decided that 5 minutes would be added to the end of regulation, the other team would be awarded the ball. They get a touchdown, then recover an onside kick, and score another touchdown to win as the added time expires. What the officials did in the real game is just as egregious as this crazy scenario.

It would be like if you paid your taxes at the correct rate, but then the IRS came after you after the fact, saying you're required to pay 100% of your income plus whatever you had in your savings. You are a conscientious saver, and thought you had enough money saved to reasonably account for a disaster, but now you have nothing because the IRS literally changed their rules after the fact and took all your money.

I get that people make mistakes, but to make a mistake of this magnitude on a call that is not even subjective, literally just a procedural error with respect to a cut and dry rule, that's just ridiculous. This officiating team deserved a reprimand of some sort. It's 2017, there should be some sort of centrally located officiating body that monitors real-time objective enforcement of rules in big time college football. These types of things should not ever happen.

According to the rules, they won the game. It's not even debatable. It's not a judgement call like pass interference. The game was technically over, they had won the game, so they were not in a position to lose the game due to an official's bad call. Not even close. What if OK St. was up by 10 points when time expired, but the officials decided that 5 minutes would be added to the end of regulation, the other team would be awarded the ball. They get a touchdown, then recover an onside kick, and score another touchdown to win as the added time expires. What the officials did in the real game is just as egregious as this crazy scenario.

It would be like if you paid your taxes at the correct rate, but then the IRS came after you after the fact, saying you're required to pay 100% of your income plus whatever you had in your savings. You are a conscientious saver, and thought you had enough money saved to reasonably account for a disaster, but now you have nothing because the IRS literally changed their rules after the fact and took all your money.

I get that people make mistakes, but to make a mistake of this magnitude on a call that is not even subjective, literally just a procedural error with respect to a cut and dry rule, that's just ridiculous. This officiating team deserved a reprimand of some sort. It's 2017, there should be some sort of centrally located officiating body that monitors real-time objective enforcement of rules in big time college football. These types of things should not ever happen.

I support Mike Gundy and OSU's position 100%. Officials need to be held accountable!!!!!!!

Yes, there is no entity policing the officials. Self-regulation, particularly when the games require the mass public to have faith they're calling games fairly, is unlikely to lead to appropriate punishments. It takes some pretty egregious stuff to get fired. I believe there was a Big
Ten bball official let go awhile back but I can't recall any others.

I think there is an entity, the conferences hire the refs, they just choose to not do much that we know of.

Top Bottom