ESPN: Oklahoma State, ignoring refs' error, engraves rings with '11-2'

All OSU had to do was not allow CMU to score on that last play. Total breakdown.

Besides, the rule regarding penalties with loss of down and untimed downs is sort of a loophole and a technicality. It would argue the rule should be changed. Why punish CMU in that specific situation? They deserved to get the ball back IMO.

I think there is an entity, the conferences hire the refs, they just choose to not do much that we know of.

Why would they want to shake public faith in their cash cow? Even the Big 12 officials in this situation got 2 games. Really? I don't like the rule, but thems the rules. I can't get too excited because we routinely see the rule book walked on by the officials. Where is the outrage?

Why would they want to shake public faith in their cash cow? Even the Big 12 officials in this situation got 2 games. Really? I don't like the rule, but thems the rules. I can't get too excited because we routinely see the rule book walked on by the officials. Where is the outrage?

1. I'm not sure the reffing is that bad.

2. The motivation would be to hopefully have fewer of those incidents. I think there is some level where they act, I just don't know what it is, or if we're told.

3. I'm just saying, there is an entity dude.

Sure. Fox/Henhouse. Inmate/asylum. Remain calm, everything is under control.

Let's have a different discussion: why does that rule exist? What is the intent of the rule? If CMU were allowed one untimed play, would anyone have said peep because SO UNFAIR. Nope. Not a single person because CMU deserved to get the ball back.

Is it as egregious a situation as missing an offsides, or a no-contact PI, or missing obvious holding. I would say it's not close.

Gundy's right, someone needs to start going back and evaluate all the game deciding mistakes made by referees against the Gophers so we can adjust all of our records. Documenting the missed holding calls in the Iowa and wisconsin games alone should at least get us to fall camp. Someone call Josten's - we need a sh!tload of new rings!!

What's really sad about this, while Gundy was warned to not talk publicly about the poor officiating with the treat of a substantial fine- the officiating crew was rewarded with another game the next week.. The NCAA refuses to "slap the hands" of their poor crews in football as well as basketball for fear of a boycott by the other officials. Prime example was the Northwestern-gongaza basketball game. I say, either do the job or hit the road and find someone that will do it. Mistakes happen, incompetence should never happen.

The replay officials were from the Big 12 and the officiating crew was from the MAC. Game was played September 10th. By Sunday afternoon, the 11th, both crews were suspended for 2 weeks. B1G belongs to Collegiate Officials Consortium with other conferences (MAC, Horizon) while others fall under College Football Officiating, LLC. Punishment generally comes in the forms of suspensions and no bowl assignment.

1. Im not sure the reffing is that bad

2. The motivation would be to hopefully have fewer of those incidents. I think there is some level where they act, I just don't know what it is, or if we're told.

It's that bad

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WyqwFV5ftI4?start=3044" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But it did, mistakes were made, time to move on with the future instead of living in the past like a child. I thought football was a tough guy sport.

Correct. Right or wrong, your record is a fact and they can not just claim another win. Alternative facts are just lies!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. Im not sure the reffing is that bad

It's that bad.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WyqwFV5ftI4?start=3044" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Because the first time wasn't enough.

Actually not sure why it's double posted. Maybe because it needs to be.

In this case those were two different events, each ending in two different scores.

No, there is only one outcome of the game and it is what was recorded on the scoreboard. So what if you got jobbed, you can't change the official record of the game. Many hockey games have been won on goals that didn't cross the goal line, or basketball games where the last shot was made after the buzzer. That doesn't make what happen right, but it is the official score of those games and a coach can't change it after the fact.

I support Mike Gundy and OSU's position 100%. Officials need to be held accountable!!!!!!!

Of course officials need to be held accountable, but do you really think Gundy's childish move is doing anything other than make him look bad? So you think it is OK for a coach to ignore any games he wants too and just make up a season record?

No, there is only one outcome of the game and it is what was recorded on the scoreboard. So what if you got jobbed, you can't change the official record of the game. Many hockey games have been won on goals that didn't cross the goal line, or basketball games where the last shot was made after the buzzer. That doesn't make what happen right, but it is the official score of those games and a coach can't change it after the fact.

I was referring to "those", the events I was quoting.

Of course officials need to be held accountable, but do you really think Gundy's childish move is doing anything other than make him look bad? So you think it is OK for a coach to ignore any games he wants too and just make up a season record?

Gundy's move in my opinion is primarily intended to shine a bright light on a major screw up and create a discussion on a controversial subject. He accomplished that. Good for him! Maybe the rules will be changed maybe not, but the correct end to that game was an OSU win per the rules in existence... Replay officials can stop the game from proceeding if they think there was an error made in an officiating call and this surely was an error. A big one!

I will ask the question again: If Gundy was on the other end and his team benefited from a call like that, would he count it as a loss?

Gundy's right, someone needs to start going back and evaluate all the game deciding mistakes made by referees against the Gophers so we can adjust all of our records. Documenting the missed holding calls in the Iowa and wisconsin games alone should at least get us to fall camp. Someone call Josten's - we need a sh!tload of new rings!!

I'm not agreeing with Gundy but there is a difference between this and missed holding calls. This situation was a bad rules interpretation, not a missed call.

I believe this is called being a "legend in your own mind". Play CMU at home and lose with the facilities and recruiting advantages you have had for years now, you have no bitch coming if the refs blow one call.

I'm not agreeing with Gundy but there is a difference between this and missed holding calls. This situation was a bad rules interpretation, not a missed call.

Yeah, I get that. But if a ref sees a Hawkeye lineman engage with one of our linebackers and interprets the interaction as legal when it is a blatant hold, I think the difference becomes smaller. OSU's situation was worse, though....I was basically just joking around.

I think the psychological effect of the misremembered rule is magnified somewhat because it came at the end of the game, right before OSU gave up that long TD pass. If they were given an untimed down at the end of the first quarter the perceived insult wouldn't be as great even if it's the same. Same for blown calls, biased calls, uncalled penalties.

I read the Gophers rings say 9* wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom