STrib: Michigan State in danger of falling far behind in stacked Big Ten East

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Penn State’s football resurgence last season coincided with another Big Ten East superpower’s sudden demise.

While the Nittany Lions rolled to a surprising Big Ten championship, Michigan State morphed from a College Football Playoff team into a 3-9 disaster.

The nightmare didn’t end there for Spartans fans. Mark Dantonio’s team is going through two separate sexual assault investigations, with at least four players and one staff member suspended indefinitely.

The recruiting headlines have been ugly, too. A defensive end who committed to the Spartans didn’t sign after being arrested for burglary and stealing a firearm. Another incoming recruit received an alcohol citation during a visit to East Lansing in mid-January. And yet another incoming recruit recently was hospitalized after a water scooter accident in the Bahamas.

Dantonio’s long periods of silence and nonanswers haven’t helped. The Spartans kept spring practices closed to the media until the spring game. They had 15 players not in uniform for the spring game, and the coach offered no explanations.

“Obviously there’s a concern off the field, so we need to work through those situations,” Dantonio said last week in a Big Ten teleconference. “But as much as anything, when you have a young football team, you need to find leadership.

“We’re going to come together as a football team, and if we’re not going in the same direction, there’s people who will be left behind.”

The Big Ten East is an unforgiving place, anyway, so the Spartans can ill-afford these missteps. Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh recruit and develop talent with machinelike efficiency.

http://www.startribune.com/michigan...far-behind-in-stacked-big-ten-east/419909713/

Go Gophers!!

I'm assuming Michigan State competes pretty heavily with Ohio State and more importantly Michigan for recruits. It is likely more than coincidence that MSU was great at the exact same time that Michigan was at their worst. They also had the "good" fortune of of the Penn State situation happening at the same time. So, a vacuum was formed and they happily filled it. Now Michigan has returned to their traditional perch and Penn State is on the rise as well. Something has to give and that may mean more 3-9 seasons are in MSU's future.

I am no MSU expert, but I also wonder if they had to resort to some more questionable characters to maintain recruiting star averages over the past couple years. If that is a correct statement, it would make sense that off-the-field problems would follow.

*I put "good" in quotes because obviously what happened at Penn State was not good in the traditional sense of the word - of course.

Great year to be playing Sparty. Coming off of 1-8, 3-9 season and now to be saddled with all these fire

Great year to be playing Michigan as they lose 18 guys to the NFL. Gophs played Michigan down to the wire last time they met. Beat them time before that.

Gophs went to the tovertime with Big Ten East Champs on the road last year. Gophs were within a Woli ball reach of beating Michigan two years ago.

Warinner brings great knowledge on Big Ten East foes to the mix.

Killed Maryland on the road. Excited to get them on home.

Much favorable cross division draw than Iowa and Nebraska, who both get Ohio State and Penn State.

It sure seems like it takes a while for a team to make significant progress in football. Going in reverse, however, seems like it happens quickly. Michigan State has had a good run. It's weird to think they could be in jeopardy of another subpar season.
Becky, it's your turn.

Great year to be playing Sparty. Coming off of 1-8, 3-9 season and now to be saddled with all these fire

Great year to be playing Michigan as they lose 18 guys to the NFL. Gophs played Michigan down to the wire last time they met. Beat them time before that.

Gophs went to the tovertime with Big Ten East Champs on the road last year. Gophs were within a Woli ball reach of beating Michigan two years ago.

Warinner brings great knowledge on Big Ten East foes to the mix.

Killed Maryland on the road. Excited to get them on home.

Much favorable cross division draw than Iowa and Nebraska, who both get Ohio State and Penn State.

I might agree that it is a good year to play MSU, but I strongly disagree about Michigan. Sure they lost players, but Harbaugh is building an absolute monster and as long as he is there I don't think we ever want to be playing them (unless it is in the Championship game). If he is committed to sticking around in the college game, I would be more bullish on his Michigan program than Meyer's OSU going forward. Peppers was great, but I have to assume that most of the guys that went pro were from the previous staff - they very well may have upgrades to replace them.

Last year at this time we were discusssing how many games into the season Franklin was going to get canned after coming off two 7 win seasons and a humiliating loss to Temple.

Michigan State was in the CFP and the won 3 games the next season. That's unheard of. But, Dantonio recruited at levels Fleck can only dream of 2014-2016 and those 4 stars are going to be maturing. If they have a QB in the fold Dantonio is too good of a coach to be kept down long. I wouldn't sleep on them.

It should be self-evident from the OP article things can go teets up or all roses very quickly from year to year - one of the reasons we love college ball. Nobody really knows what will happen outside of some probabilities.

If we beat MSU, does it count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dantonio is a very good coach and they have had the best recruiting classes in the last three years they have had since he got there. He'll get them back either this year or next.
At this point I don't believe Michigan's recruiting is affecting MSU that much because Harbaugh has continued the Michigan tradition of recruiting outside Michigan/Ohio a lot.
Before Harbaugh came back, it was pretty much all OSU/MSU. Now I think it will be a four way struggle every year.

Top Bottom