Will Any Current Commits Get Bumped up to 4 stars?

There are a lot of times the 247 composite doesn't make any sense to me. On the basketball side of recruiting Isaiah Washington is ranked 66th, 65th, 60th and 59th by the 4 major rankings yet his 247 composite rank is #58.

There are a lot of times the 247 composite doesn't make any sense to me. On the basketball side of recruiting Isaiah Washington is ranked 66th, 65th, 60th and 59th by the 4 major rankings yet his 247 composite rank is #58.

That's because there are prospects rated above him by certain services that are significantly below him in another. There may be a prospect rated 50th by Scout but 75th or worse by the rest of the services. His average grade would be worse than Washington's therefore moving Washington up. From what I understand, the 247 composite takes the average of the 4 services and ranks players in order by that average.

That's called publik skewl math.

Given the uncertainty and hit rate of three star players maybe Scout is doing it right. Ultimately I would look at the team rankings from each service independently and average that rather than using the fuzzy composite.

Not sure I follow what you are saying...how does looking at the team rankings and averaging them give you an accurate rating on a specific player?

Not sure I follow what you are saying...how does looking at the team rankings and averaging them give you an accurate rating on a specific player?

We're talking about different things. The player-specific 247 Composite is worthless to me. I'll look more at the team rankings to get a gauge on how things are going and I'll look at the individual ratings given by Rivals, Scout, 247, ESPN (in that order) to gauge the popular opinion on a player. The pros at the schools have their own rating systems and sometimes draw different conclusions than the peanut gallery. It's all bread and circuses.

That's because there are prospects rated above him by certain services that are significantly below him in another. There may be a prospect rated 50th by Scout but 75th or worse by the rest of the services. His average grade would be worse than Washington's therefore moving Washington up. From what I understand, the 247 composite takes the average of the 4 services and ranks players in order by that average.

The argument is what value 247 assigns Scout 3 stars (or any star). If that's not reflective of how Scout has assigned a position ranking then what worth is the Composite? Zero. I'm sorry, 0.0000 in 247-math.

That's a fair point but that doesn't seem to be the same point I was responding to. The post I was responding to specific mentioned player rankings.

This is the most worthless thing for a Gopher fan to ever be concerned with.

It is not worth a minute of your time to spend a minute following stars or rankings.

The coach and staff have no idea how these guys are ranked and could care less about the rankings.

These ramkings are based on 40 times, strength numbers, heights, weights and film.

We are recruiting based on the how of a young man. We want the heart. We want the unconquerable will. We want the spirit. We want the soul. We want the drive. We are recruiting young people that their life – not just football, but their life – is incredibly important to them.

Show me a ranking system that figures in GPAs/ACTs/Community Service/Belief in something bigger than themselves/Desire.

Show me a ranking system that gives stars based on how important a person's life is to them, and then it would have relevance to a Gopher fan and be worth caring about.

It is not worth a minute of your time to spend a minute following stars or rankings.

The coach and staff have no idea how these guys are ranked and could care less about the rankings.

These ramkings are based on 40 times, strength numbers, heights, weights and film.

We are recruiting based on the how of a young man. We want the heart. We want the unconquerable will. We want the spirit. We want the soul. We want the drive. We are recruiting young people that their life – not just football, but their life – is incredibly important to them.

Show me a ranking system that figures in GPAs/ACTs/Community Service/Belief in something bigger than themselves/Desire.

Show me a ranking system that gives stars based on how important a person's life is to them, and then it would have relevance to a Gopher fan and be worth caring about.

I'd stand and salute but I'm just too tired.

You're right these rankings don't matter to anyone but the fans. However, since everything is a competition there was a niche for companies to compile these rankings.

In the end, they are for fans entertainment.

The sooner people realize that fact, the less heartburn it will create for concerned fans.

Sounds a lot like PJ Fleck speaking !!!

Swingman I truly enjoy reading your posts..

Show me a ranking system that gives stars based on how important a person's life is to them, and then it would have relevance to a Gopher fan and be worth caring about. Ski-U-Mah and Row The Boat!.

FIFY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boy Swingman. I was right with you. Well, until you went off into the weeds....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look, I'm simply saying Rivals has him rated as the 30th best CB, Scout the 42nd. If one were to look at the 247 rating on the players in those spots in its own system Tyrik would be a 4 star 90 at the 30th spot, and and a 3 star 88 at the 42nd.

Average that together with 247's 83 rating...and one doesn't get 83.99 (or .8399, excuse me). Someone do the simple math for me (83+88+90)/3 = ?

So...something seems to be amiss with this 247 Composite. If you understand it, please explain it to us. Gobie, are you lurking here?

Perhaps their composite values are not meant to imply any sort of relationship to their rating values but that seems fairly unlikely. I.e. .8399 does not equal "84", and means something completely different in 247 logic. . Weird, but so are mathematicians.

Look, I'm simply saying Rivals has him rated as the 30th best CB, Scout the 42nd. If one were to look at the 247 rating on the players in those spots in its own system Tyrik would be a 4 star 90 at the 30th spot, and and a 3 star 88 at the 42nd.

Average that together with 247's 83 rating...and one doesn't get 83.99 (or .8399, excuse me). Someone do the simple math for me (83+88+90)/3 = ?

So...something seems to be amiss with this 247 Composite. If you understand it, please explain it to us. Gobie, are you lurking here?

Perhaps their composite values are not meant to imply any sort of relationship to their rating values but that seems fairly unlikely. I.e. .8399 does not equal "84", and means something completely different in 247 logic. . Weird, but so are mathematicians.

Just imagine if you were that poor kid - unable to comprehend your place in the world!! (not a shot at you Pompous - just joking about all of this. I agree, the numbers seem off).

I was curious what a Scout rating would look like if they took into account their positional rankings for players with same star rating...and this is what I came up with. Simple scale, 3.0 being lowest 3 star, 3.99 being highest.

Scout Positional/Star Rating Hybrid
3.96 - Teague
3.93 - Armstrong
3.93 - Manns
3.91 - Henderson
3.85 - Sapp III
3.82 - Smith
3.66 - Beier
3.61 - Okonji
3.60 - Uzebu
3.51 - Richter
3.27 - Edmonds

Not accurate - Fleck knows very well how these players are ranked and cites them frequently in media availability and public appearances.

You might want to become a UT fan...

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ch-jones-tennessee-football-life-championship

I was curious what a Scout rating would look like if they took into account their positional rankings for players with same star rating...and this is what I came up with. Simple scale, 3.0 being lowest 3 star, 3.99 being highest.

Scout Positional/Star Rating Hybrid
3.96 - Teague
3.93 - Armstrong
3.93 - Manns
3.91 - Henderson
3.85 - Sapp III
3.82 - Smith
3.66 - Beier
3.61 - Okonji
3.60 - Uzebu
3.51 - Richter
3.27 - Edmonds

Thanks - interesting. Many high 3s. It would also be interesting to plug Scouts position rankings into 247's grading. I suspect some of them would be 4 stars if the evaluators worked for 247 rather than .scout.

You ok?

Not accurate - Fleck knows very well how these players are ranked and cites them frequently in media availability and public appearances.

He usually cites the rankings stats just seconds after saying he pays no attention to the rankings stats. It is maddeningly disingenuous.

These ramkings are based on...

Made me think of Ram Jam, thought it was Ram King. Anyway, great football highlight overlay.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x61QWSdZUsE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He usually cites the rankings stats just seconds after saying he pays no attention to the rankings stats. It is maddeningly disingenuous.

It works both ways. I think any coach including Fleck won't take a recruit over another one because one is a 3* and the other is a 2* or unranked. They will take the one they think is the best fit regardless of ranking.

However, especially at places like Minnesota that are not known for their recruiting, having an overall class ranked in the top 15 or the top 25 can be used as a recruiting tool. Many recruits follow the rankings. Fleck can talk about the top 15 class, and say look at all the good players coming to join the 'Minnesota Movement', and use that to sell more top recruits.

Just because he doesn't pay attention to the rankings doesn't mean the fans don't. When he cites those stats, he's talking to the fans.

Just because he doesn't pay attention to the rankings doesn't mean the fans don't. When he cites those stats, he's talking to the fans.

So he doesn't know if a kid is a 3, 4 or 5 star, but he will site the rankings so that the fans can be informed, excited because we have higher ranked players?

If he only cared about the rankings when recruiting players, that kid from Perham wouldn't have been offered a scholarship.

Top Bottom