A Stab At Gavitt Games Pairings

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I'm surmising Gophers will be in Gavitt Games because they, Illinois, Indiana, and Rutgers are the only B1G teams currently not reported to be participating in an exempt (bracketed) tournament. That likely would leave their schedules with more flexibility. I left out Rutgers (as well as Maryland & Iowa) because they've participated the first two years.

Last year's matchups were announced May 3.

Projected Matchups
Butler @ Wisconsin
Creighton @ Penn State
DePaul @ Illinois
Georgetown @ Nebraska
Indiana @ Seton Hall
Michigan State @ Villanova
Minnesota @ Marquette
Ohio State @ Saint John's

2016 Results (tied 4-4)
@ Butler 70, Northwestern 68
@ Creighton 79, Wisconsin 67
Maryland 76 @ Georgetown 75
@ Minnesota 92, Saint John's 86
@ Ohio State 72, Providence 67
Rutgers 66 @ DePaul 59
Seton Hall 91 @ Iowa 83
Villanova 79 @ Purdue 76

Seems reasonable. I'm excited for the schedule to slowly start to be put together. Hopefully we're in the Gavitt Games this year as I'm not sure what will happen with a neutral site game now that US Bank stadium is moved back a year and Sioux Falls is hosting another game this year.

Seems reasonable. I'm excited for the schedule to slowly start to be put together. Hopefully we're in the Gavitt Games this year as I'm not sure what will happen with a neutral site game now that US Bank stadium is moved back a year and Sioux Falls is hosting another game this year.

Has anyone from the U or media specifically said there won't be a game in Sioux Falls? I guess I've just been assuming no game there, but Sioux Falls has hosted neutral-site games (on different dates) in the same season. Maybe with U.S. Bank Gopher game not until 2018, a game in Sioux Falls this season is back in play for Gophers?

Has anyone from the U or media specifically said there won't be a game in Sioux Falls? I guess I've just been assuming no game there, but Sioux Falls has hosted neutral-site games (on different dates) in the same season. Maybe with U.S. Bank Gopher game not until 2018, a game in Sioux Falls this season is back in play for Gophers?

I know Iowa State is playing a game in SF, but they have hosted multiple Power 5 games in a season before in addition to USD/SDSU games. I suppose it would be possible to play one of those two as well, but I can't see Pitino agreeing to that.

I know Iowa State is playing a game in SF, but they have hosted multiple Power 5 games in a season before in addition to USD/SDSU games. I suppose it would be possible to play one of those two as well, but I can't see Pitino agreeing to that.

Yes, aware of that (see prior post).

What we know so far (reportedly)

Providence and Xavier will be the two non-participating teams from the Big East. That's too bad, Musketeers and Friars should be two of the better teams in the Big East next season.

Indiana will participate, but whether Hoosiers play home or road game still TBD.

Nebraska and Wisconsin will participate and be home teams.

Top Bottom