Gophers Land an NCAA Bonanza - From St.Paul Pioneer Press

Iceland12

Reaction score
X-Games coming this Summer. Super Bowl, Mens's and Women's Frozen Four in 2018. Men's Basketball Finals in 2019.

Yesterday, the NCAA said that the 2018 Women's Volleyball Final Four will be at Target Center and in 2021 a Men's Basketball Regional Final will be there. U.S. Bank Stadium will host the 2020 Wrestling Championship and in 2021 Men's Gymnastics Championship will be at the Sports Pavilion.

Some of these are a bit more of a draw than others.... but nice to have them.

MINNEAPOLIS SELECTED FOR FOUR NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS - Gophersports

n the next five years, the University of Minnesota, Sports Minneapolis and Visit St. Paul will partner with U.S. Bank Stadium, Target Center and Xcel Energy Center to hold nine NCAA championships in the Twin Cities. In addition to the four bids awarded today, Minnesota is also hosting the 2018 men's and women's Frozen Four, a 2018 women's gymnastics regional, and 2018 men's swimming & diving NCAA Championships. The Gophers will also serve as the host institution for the 2019 NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four for the fifth time in school history and the first since 2001.

University of Minnesota NCAA Championship Events
2018 - Men's Swimming and Diving, Jean K. Freeman Aquatics Center (March)
2018 - Women's Ice Hockey Frozen Four, Ridder Arena (March)
2018 - Men's Ice Hockey Frozen Four, Xcel Energy Center (April)
2018 - Women's Gymnastics Regional, Sports Pavilion (April)
2019 - Men's Basketball Final Four, U.S. Bank Stadium (April)
2018 - Women's Volleyball Championship, Target Center ^ (December)
2020 - Wrestling Championship, U.S. Bank Stadium ^ (March)
2021 - Men's Basketball Regional, Target Center ^ (March)
2021 - Men's Gymnastics Championship, Sports Pavilion ^ (April)

http://www.gophersports.com/genrel/041817aaa.html

The Final Four (early game) will have the most natural light of any post-December basketball game ever? At either the HS, College, or NBA level? I can't think of anything other than those rare outdoor experiments NCAA teams have tried in the very early season. Will be an interesting venue for basketball, especially if sunny that day.

Minnesota - where Champions are Crowned. (providing they don't live there..............)

Best bets for a home-town team to win one of the listed events:
Women's Hockey - Volleyball - Men's Hockey in that order. (the Don is supposed to have a really good recruiting class coming in.)

The Final Four (early game) will have the most natural light of any post-December basketball game ever? At either the HS, College, or NBA level? I can't think of anything other than those rare outdoor experiments NCAA teams have tried in the very early season. Will be an interesting venue for basketball, especially if sunny that day.

I thought the same thing. They will have to, potentially, hang some curtains to block some of the sun

I thought the same thing. They will have to, potentially, hang some curtains to block some of the sun

Don't the games usually start around 5pm on Saturday? The sun should be pretty low at that point.

of all the boards you could have posted this news on, you chose the one that has nothing to do with the news! :eek:

of all the boards you could have posted this news on, you chose the one that has nothing to do with the news! :eek:

Yeah, I thought that was funny too. Do we need to start a rumor that they're opening up new bowl consideration and US Bank will host the 2022 FBS National Championship game?

Yeah, I thought that was funny too. Do we need to start a rumor that they're opening up new bowl consideration and US Bank will host the 2022 FBS National Championship game?

The U already tried for the playoff games. Didn't because the feeling from the guys running it was paraphrasing here, they wouldn't feel "special" with all the events already set for it.

Oh, 961 views and only two whiners? Yeah, the placement was fine...:D

Don't the games usually start around 5pm on Saturday? The sun should be pretty low at that point.

Yeah, and I consider the natural light to be a feature, not a bug. In fact, I think they should lean into the quirk and move the games into the daytime. Sunny basketball would make for great TV and isn't all that weird for players who hoop outdoors all the time in the summer. I doubt they would have to block the sun out unless there's crazy unforeseen glare.

But yeah, based on current schedules, it would only be a waning sun noticeable on TV for the first hour or two.

Is NCAA Wrestling usually in large stadiums? Seems like an oversized venue for that event, but I don't really follow the sport.

Is NCAA Wrestling usually in large stadiums? Seems like an oversized venue for that event, but I don't really follow the sport.
Nope, this is a first. But watching the press conference, they said added room would be welcomed for warmups, locker room space, etc.

This is a very rare event for wrestling to do it in a big stadium.

What other events does wrestling do in stadiums? I would think this would be the most likely event they would hold in a stadium.

Top Bottom