PJ's Rising Respect for UM FB

It's good to see another positive article about Gopher Football.

Overall recruiting rankings at this point in time don't mean very much. Kind of similar to having a 21-3 first quarter lead.
It's how you finish that's more important.

It's good to see another positive article about Gopher Football.

Overall recruiting rankings at this point in time don't mean very much. Kind of similar to having a 21-3 first quarter lead.
It's how you finish that's more important.

You're not talking about Rutgers last year, are you? :cool:

Was going to go with a different unmentionable game, but that was a third quarter score. Since it is early in the recruiting process the one I used seemed more appropriate.

just to be contrary:

Let's say the Gophers wind up with the #21 rated recruiting class. How many wins does that guarantee next year?

Answer - it doesn't guarantee any wins. Yes, there is a correlation between improved recruiting classes and improved on-field record - but it is not a guarantee.

Recruiting is only part of the process - an important part - but still only a part. Those recruits will go through strength and conditioning programs - they will be coached by the position coaches - motivated by the head coach - presumably they will go to class and earn good enough grades to be eligible. All part of the process.

If it was as simple as better recruiting = more wins, then they wouldn't have to play the games. Just award the trophies to the teams with the best recruiting classes. But, it doesn't work that way. You still have to play the games.

Again, I am not diminishing the importance of recruiting - but I just cannot get all that worked up about it. A lot has to happen before that recruit puts on a uniform and steps on the field. That's when I get excited.

Let's say the Gophers wind up with the #21 rated recruiting class. How many wins does that guarantee next year?

Answer - it doesn't guarantee any wins. Yes, there is a correlation between improved recruiting classes and improved on-field record - but it is not a guarantee.

Well that and they'd all be freshmen, gonna take a while for some of these guys to get into their roles / the system.

Somewhat related. How the hell did Brewster sign such a good first class?

I know what the canned answers are to this question, but sheesh, it still surprises me.

I know what the canned answers are to this question, but sheesh, it still surprises me.

No one knew what a sh*t show coach he was.

The dude is an amazing recruiter.

Who wouldn't want to play in Rose Bowl's and in a new stadium?

I heard him speak, got to sit at a table and eat lunch with him at a golf fundraiser the summer after he was hired. He was a bundle of energy and all positive talk, so I can see why he is a great recruiter. He just didn't have a clue on how to actually be a head coach.

Half of the "stars" in that first recruiting class were never eligible to play.

Brewster was very charismatic and full of energy. Unfortunately I think some of the higher ranked recruits he went after and was able to land were recruits with specific issues that made them less desirable to other schools. He took a chance on some, and ultimately they either didn't make it into school or had issues off the field and never really worked out. But they looked good just based on stars :)

Offensive Coord changes yearly didn't help Brewster at all, much less Adam Weber's growth. Success nearly happened, before it fell apart. There is a fine line between success and failure. Ask Mason the same question. Being humble and quiet has its advantages. Brew, Mas & PJ-types all struggle under the weight of high expectations. Kill and Claeys-types struggle for exceeding expectations that people feel are too low. Recruiting success can prove fatal if you don't deliver concurrent success.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom