PJ's Rising Respect for UM FB

That would be awesome, but once the 4* guys start filtering in and the big boys start getting their commitments I expect we'll get pushed back pretty fast.

Still, good to see where we are now.

That would be awesome, but once the 4* guys start filtering in and the big boys start getting their commitments I expect we'll get pushed back pretty fast.

Still, good to see where we are now.

Agree for the most part. If history is any indication, to finish top 25 we'll need at least five 4- or 5-star signees at the end of it all. That means about a third of our remaining signees need to be that caliber and/or we need to have some of our current signees bump up after more evaluation (Sapp might show he's completely back from his surgeries, for example). It could happen but chances are we're not quite there. For more historical comparison, Colorado was the top ranked team with two or fewer 4-5 star players, and they finished 35th last year according to 247. Baylor was the top ranked team with zero 4 or 5 star players and they finished 40th. Getting multiple of those highly-sought after guys is key to climbing the rankings.

Agree for the most part. If history is any indication, to finish top 25 we'll need at least five 4- or 5-star signees at the end of it all. That means about a third of our remaining signees need to be that caliber and/or we need to have some of our current signees bump up after more evaluation (Sapp might show he's completely back from his surgeries, for example). It could happen but chances are we're not quite there. For more historical comparison, Colorado was the top ranked team with two or fewer 4-5 star players, and they finished 35th last year according to 247. Baylor was the top ranked team with zero 4 or 5 star players and they finished 40th. Getting multiple of those highly-sought after guys is key to climbing the rankings.

Yeah, I'd just be happy with solid forward progress. Looks like it so far.

Brewster landed 6 of 7 of his 4*'s in October or later in 2008. It looks like ~2/3 of the 4* and higher are not currently verbally committed. There's plenty of time for Fleck to land several 4*s especially when official visits start.

This was my favorite paragraph:

The Gophers were starting to become known as a Sleeper U type program, a place where the under-recruited was maximized. Under Fleck you’re already seeing Minnesota consistently beat out other Power Five programs for top targets including the most touted player in Chicago in defensive tackle Elijah Teague who's other offers included Michigan State, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Tennessee.

This was my favorite paragraph:

The Gophers were starting to become known as a Sleeper U type program, a place where the under-recruited was maximized. Under Fleck you’re already seeing Minnesota consistently beat out other Power Five programs for top targets including the most touted player in Chicago in defensive tackle Elijah Teague who's other offers included Michigan State, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Tennessee.
That in a nutshell is why Fleck is here and Claeys is not. The culture change, is in the ability to sell the program, be it recruits, fans, or donors.

I"m sure it is pissing off the Skunk and Chicken fans. Here's how I think we end up in the B1G
1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Penn State
4. Nebraska
5 . Gophers
6. MSU
7. Northwestern
8 .Maryland
9 Illinois
10. Wisconsin
11. Indiana
12. Iowa
13 . Rutgers
14. Purdue

Mods, can you move to 2018 recruiting thread?

Don't think we need another thread to beat this ranking thing to death...we're doing great in that thread.

Don't think we need another thread to beat this ranking thing to death...we're doing great in that thread.

So laughable coming from the person who derails every player commitment thread by trying to downgrade the ranking of this year's recruiting class.

So laughable coming from the person who derails every player commitment thread by trying to downgrade the ranking of this year's recruiting class.

Do you mean how he derails a thread by correctly stating how we need some four stars to finish in the top 25 like a few people have already done in this thread? Does it bother you that much that he's right?

Do you mean how he derails a thread by correctly stating how we need some four stars to finish in the top 25 like a few people have already done in this thread? Does it bother you that much that he's right?

It's something that's completely irrelevant in April. Especially when we already have 10 commitments and the most the previous staff ever had at this time was 3.

This is the best recruiting start the Gophers have had since recruiting rankings started. The ones trying to downgrade it continue to show their obvious agenda.

Right.

Since when do national articles praising the Gophers need to be buried in another thread? Since the pessimists say so? They can go hang out on rube chat. Good riddance.

On paper it appears we are off to a quicker start on similar recruirs to the Kill/Claeys era. I hope it finishes stronger.

You bring up class rankings unprovoked every time they get a commit.

That in a nutshell is why Fleck is here and Claeys is not. <b>The culture change, is in the ability to sell the program, be it recruits, fans, or donors.</b>

Sure, it might as well mean all that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On paper it appears we are off to a quicker start on similar recruirs to the Kill/Claeys era. I hope it finishes stronger.

Yeah, so far so good. This is an exciting class so far.

It's something that's completely irrelevant in April. Especially when we already have 10 commitments and the most the previous staff ever had at this time was 3.

This is the best recruiting start the Gophers have had since recruiting rankings started. The ones trying to downgrade it continue to show their obvious agenda.

If it's completely irrelevant why are we on a thread discussing an article related to recruiting, and why are you posting to it?

Why is getting recruits early better than getting them later?

Can focus on top targets more later instead of trying to fill out a class.

You can put more time into fewer needs, more important targets, less overall net to cover, combos instead of single person teams. A big part of this is that ratings may change, often up, so 3* may move up, or down...for that matter.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I"m sure it is pissing off the Skunk and Chicken fans. Here's how I think we end up in the B1G
1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Penn State
4. Nebraska
5 . Gophers
6. MSU
7. Northwestern
8 .Maryland
9 Illinois
10. Wisconsin
11. Indiana
12. Iowa
13 . Rutgers
14. Purdue

What methodology is this based on? How did you gauge recruit interest for each of these 14 schools 8-10 months before signing days?

Why anyone is excited about rankings at this point is beyond me. Being excited about individual recruits - I get that. However, rankings mean nothing right now so far from signing day.

Also, the number of recruits currently committed is largely based on the approach of the current coach in actively seeking and accepting commitments. Does anyone actually believe Michigan or Alabama couldn't have more commitments if they wanted right now?

Yet, it's fun to see some of the commitments Fleck has, and hope the momentum continues and he can hold on to them. However, it's really early and he already lost one. It's really early to think these commitments are solid. Being around kids this age, motives and interests change day to day.

Can focus on top targets more later instead of trying to fill out a class.

Exactly. if you are signing 25 and have 20 in the fold, you can really go for broke. If you hit August with like 5 in the fold (somewhat like last year), then you really need to dig to find guys to fill out the class. Much better to negotiate from a position of strength.

I hink that we're ahead of schedule. A good mix would be 8 by the end of spring semester, 17 by the start of school, then 8 more to make 25, by signing day. With early signiing in December you might want to be at 20 to 21 on that date.

Stop signing the 3 star guys, we need to make room for the 4 and 5 star guys that are going to be begging to play for the Gophs!

Top Bottom