Target Center will host Midwest Regional in 2021

2021 Men's NCAA Regional - Minneapolis

Regional to be played at Target Center. Can a host school be lined up to be a possible home site for regionals?

Also, 2018 Volleyball Final Four at Target Center

2020 Wrestling Nationals at US Bank Stadium

Regional to be played at Target Center. Can a host school be lined up to be a possible home site for regionals?

Also, 2018 Volleyball Final Four at Target Center

2020 Wrestling Nationals at US Bank Stadium

Interesting that nothing is going on at Xcel for hockey

Can't they declare the B1G the host or did they do away with that workaround?

Yes, a conference can be the host, which would allow a local school to (be bracketed to) play there. See Kansas (Sprint Center) every time a regional is played in Kansas City. The Big XII (not KU) is host.

If were the number one overall seed, don't we get to decide where we play. Just pick a pod in that region?

Pods (1st/2nd round) don't necessarily feed into the same geographic regional. For example, Gophers this year played at a Midwest site (Milwaukee), but would have advanced to the South Regional had they won 2 games.

Yes, a conference can be the host, which would allow a local school to (be bracketed to) play there. See Kansas (Sprint Center) every time a regional is played in Kansas City. The Big XII (not KU) is host.
KC has also traditionally been the home of the Big 8/12 basketball tourney, so it's not a stretch for them to host.

Good luck getting the Big Ten to host basketball outside of Chicago or Indy.

KC has also traditionally been the home of the Big 8/12 basketball tourney, so it's not a stretch for them to host.

Good luck getting the Big Ten to host basketball outside of Chicago or Indy.

You forget that DC and NYC are Big Ten country now ;)

I have a hard time seeing he Big Ten ever being the host for a tournament event held here

I have to think that if we're a top 10-20 team going into that season they will switch the host then.

I think the last time we hosted here, there were provisions that if the Gophers were in the tournament, they would be scheduled opposite the games in this pod (i.e. if Minneapolis is a Friday/Sunday pod, Gophers would be Thursday/Saturday pod). Does that still hold? I would be hesitant to buy tickets for local games not knowing if I would miss Gopher game in Buffalo or something.

I think the last time we hosted here, there were provisions that if the Gophers were in the tournament, they would be scheduled opposite the games in this pod (i.e. if Minneapolis is a Friday/Sunday pod, Gophers would be Thursday/Saturday pod). Does that still hold? I would be hesitant to buy tickets for local games not knowing if I would miss Gopher game in Buffalo or something.

This does not hold. Last year Iowa State was the host in Des Moines and they were playing the same day in a different site (Denver).

Iowa and Iowa State got really good news

Des Moines will host 1st/2nd round in 2019, but Drake will be the host. Means both the Hawkeyes & Cyclones could play in Des Moines. Unless something really goes wrong in Iowa City, Hawkeyes should be really good in 2019, with all the current freshmen then juniors. If they're a top-16 type team in 2018-19, Hawkeyes likely will land there.

Perhaps the Gophers, too. Easy trip to Des Moines.

Anyone know what things a school/conference does when hosting a tournament game? I'm assuming the operations people for the Target Center will take care of all that. Does the school take care of hotels and stuff like that?

Very much doubt that. Not that simple.

What's complicated about that? Most of the logistics will handled by Target Center etc. correct? It seems to me that the switch from school to conference has been done several times before but I could be wrong.

What's complicated about that? Most of the logistics will handled by Target Center etc. correct? It seems to me that the switch from school to conference has been done several times before but I could be wrong.

Schools know this going into the deal, the Host will not change. As an individual host, the University of Minnesota will be able to offer tix to their Season Ticket Holders and Donors and that process will start as early as 18 months in advance. This will be used as a chit to drum up season ticket sales and donations.

Correct, Ope3. The U basically runs the event. They handle all of the ticket sales and distribution, take care of all of the operations such as managing the teams, hospitality, hosting NCAA and corporate sponsors. A lot of work goes into these events that take years to plan and pull off. Not easy just to hand it off to someone else.

Correct, Ope3. The U basically runs the event. They handle all of the ticket sales and distribution, take care of all of the operations such as managing the teams, hospitality, hosting NCAA and corporate sponsors. A lot of work goes into these events that take years to plan and pull off. Not easy just to hand it off to someone else.

Interesting. Seems many schools forgo hosting in exchange for the potential home advantage. Hopefully we're good enough to regret the decision.

Interesting. Seems many schools forgo hosting in exchange for the potential home advantage. Hopefully we're good enough to regret the decision.

For the Gophers to regret this they would have to be a #1 seed and even then graded above the Cmte's other #1 that are close to Minneapolis (ie Kansas).

If it was the 1st and 2nd Rounds, I could have seen Minnesota more likely to enlist the Big 10 as a host.

Note, Northwestern is also host in 2022 at the United Center.

For the Gophers to regret this they would have to be a #1 seed and even then graded above the Cmte's other #1 that are close to Minneapolis (ie Kansas).

If it was the 1st and 2nd Rounds, I could have seen Minnesota more likely to enlist the Big 10 as a host.

Note, Northwestern is also host in 2022 at the United Center.

Not really. There's still a 1/4 chance you'd end up seeded in that region. See SC this year. Being the host just decreases that to 0%.

Not really. There's still a 1/4 chance you'd end up seeded in that region. See SC this year. Being the host just decreases that to 0%.

Yes, but if that happened it would have been out of Minnesota's control and by pure luck.

Top Bottom