Early signing date.

Rog

Reaction score
I assume that there will be (or are) two signing periods. The three days in December and then for all days after the first Wednesday in February.

This could really change the thoughts of how to handle this on both the recruit and the school.

Does the school accept a recruit early even though you have a "better" one who is possible but have to wait and then lose out?

The same way for the recruit, will he hold for his favorite and then up without either.

Will the "cream of the crop" all sign early and the Feb date become kind of a mop up?

Who will be the winner? The top schools nationally? or just the opposite?

My opinion - It will be less of a problem for the recruits.

I see it helping non-helmet schools that can hopefully snap up the helmet school plan Bs before they move off of plan A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiNardo was saying this is a huge advantage to the Big Ten West teams, and in particular Minnesota because of all the easy flights. I have heard others say this as well. Anyone know what the advantages are, heard DiNardo or others speak to it, beyond what Spoof just said above?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the big thing is that players - and teams - will have options.

If a team signs a bunch of kids early, they can adjust their plans and target certain kids or positions for the second signing period. On the other hand, if a team doesn't sign many kids early, they will have more scholarships available, and might be able to poach a kid who gets squeezed out from their top choice.

For players, I think the big thing the early signing period offers is security. If a kid is 100% sure where they want to go, they can go ahead and sign, and not have to sweat out the deadline. On the other hand, if a kid does not sign early, they could wind up picking up more offers if they are available late - smaller pool of available kids could lead to more schools going after who's left. But, I could see kids getting squeezed out, too. If a team signs a bunch of kids early, they might decide "we don't need anymore RB's" and a player could see offers getting yanked.

The biggest advantage for Minnesota is the addition of summer official visits.

Top Bottom