Now that the Spring Game is over, get ready for four months of...

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I absolutely HATE the off season "articles" where someone no more qualified than I ranks "the B1G's best stadiums" or "the B1G's best uniforms" or "the B1G's best alternate Uniforms" or "the conference's best coaches" or the "B1G's best on campus eating options" or "the top traditions" or "the best players from each team" or each position group, etc. etc. These articles are simply written as click bait and when they are linked here they prove they do indeed do their job because people do tend to get in a lather about these useless rankings.

Yet, you'll click every thread referencing these articles over the next four months. Boredom will do that to a person. [emoji41]

The good news is that unlike previous years we seem to be getting a lot of early commitments so at least that will be something to discuss but yeah the off season gets tedious.

Yep....I'll buy all l the " rags" ( Lindy's , Athelon , etc.) The only one I keep for the season would be "Phil Steele Report" . I'm sure most of them will put the Gophers in the middle of the West, or lower.

Yep....I'll buy all l the " rags" ( Lindy's , Athelon , etc.) The only one I keep for the season would be "Phil Steele Report" . I'm sure most of them will put the Gophers in the middle of the West, or lower.

We don't agree on much...but Phil Steele's massive publication is the one to buy.

I absolutely HATE the off season "articles" where someone no more qualified than I ranks "the B1G's best stadiums" or "the B1G's best uniforms" or "the B1G's best alternate Uniforms" or "the conference's best coaches" or the "B1G's best on campus eating options" or "the top traditions" or "the best players from each team" or each position group, etc. etc. These articles are simply written as click bait and when they are linked here they prove they do indeed do their job because people do tend to get in a lather about these useless rankings.

You could diversify your interests, learn a new skill, explore something you're often wondered about. There's more to life than college football.

I think what Schnauzer is getting at is this: it would be great to see some off-season information on all the teams in the B1G - PROVIDING that the information was well-researched and had some intelligent analysis. Any bozo can sit down and bang out a pre-season "preview" about Gopher FB by throwing out the same old talking points - new coach, QB battle, OL depth.

It would be fun to see someone really dig into the rosters for each team and go through position battles, position changes, promising newcomers, injury issues, etc. BUT - that would take some effort. Sadly, it seems like most media outlets are unwilling to put the time, effort and resources into that type of project.

Even the preview magazines mentioned above (Athlon, etc) tend to stick to the most basic information. I don't know when they go to press, but a lot of the ones I've read in recent years always seem to miss personnel changes, like transfers or injuries.

So yeah, if you are a college FB fan, we are heading into the dead zone.

On the plus side, just think of how many more "Claeys vs. Fleck" threads we can start on Gopher Hole...........

But BroncoRedux gave us the thread with something to do the rest of the offseason. I figured we were covered

I think what Schnauzer is getting at is this: it would be great to see some off-season information on all the teams in the B1G - PROVIDING that the information was well-researched and had some intelligent analysis. Any bozo can sit down and bang out a pre-season "preview" about Gopher FB by throwing out the same old talking points - new coach, QB battle, OL depth.

It would be fun to see someone really dig into the rosters for each team and go through position battles, position changes, promising newcomers, injury issues, etc. BUT - that would take some effort. Sadly, it seems like most media outlets are unwilling to put the time, effort and resources into that type of project.

Even the preview magazines mentioned above (Athlon, etc) tend to stick to the most basic information. I don't know when they go to press, but a lot of the ones I've read in recent years always seem to miss personnel changes, like transfers or injuries.

On the plus side, just think of how many more "Claeys vs. Fleck" threads we can start on Gopher Hole...........
Maybe the market is just begging for one of substance, and since people here seem to believe they know more than Athlon they should publish their own preview and make some off-season cash!

four Months of....:

Elite Recruiting
non-Elite debate about Cleays vs Fleck
Fast paced regurgitation of the value of *'s in a rating
Repeated discussions about 40 times
some Bucky/Iowa insults
baseless fear of PJF getting 'snapped up' by a "Helmet School"
two transfers
a few ambiguous tweets from Doogie
spirited debate about the hand towels vs air driers in the bathrooms at 'the Bank'
over thought and emotional attachment to uniform colors/combinations
a few shots at Coyle/Kahler
a Hayo Carpenter comparison
a few injuries to the OL
Lots of Boat Rowing
Checking of Chili temperature

what did I miss?

Know what I do with things I hate that are easily avoidable? I avoid them

four Months of....:

Elite Recruiting
non-Elite debate between Cleays vs Fleck
some Bucky/Iowa insults
two transfers
spirited debate about the hand towels vs air driers in the bathrooms at 'the Bank'
a few injuries to the OL
Lots of Boat Rowing

what did I miss?

Souhan will probably write something insensitive.
NFL Draft (which could give us some time to rip on Mitch some more)
Mike Sherels discussion.
Jerry Kill will probably say something that pisses people off

Know what I do with things I hate that are easily avoidable? I avoid them
Didn't you recently state you were not going to follow Gopher football?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

four Months of....:

Elite Recruiting
non-Elite debate about Cleays vs Fleck
some Bucky/Iowa insults
two transfers
a few injuries to the OL
Lots of Boat Rowing

what did I miss?

" We cooled on him"

A little over a year ago I saw a baseball article that ranked MLB managers by physical attractiveness. They should do that with all FBS head football coaches. :p

Here is a couple things I have noticed: The coach does a 10 minute media Q & A and from that 10 minute session we get 5 different stories in the newspaper or online, by each guy there. All from a cherry picked sentence or two expanded to an article. No followup. No interviewing anyone else. Little thought. No background other than the previous days' 10 minute sessions. Worse, we get articles where the writer has not talked to anybody even for 10 minutes, hasn't watched the recorded video and they are writing from what they read somebody else say in their piece. Journalism truly was better when guys actually did some legwork.

I prefer complaining about them. To each their own.

Yes, like is it better to be gender inclusive, or to follow long established rules of singular and plural pronoun agreement? That could take up at least a week here.

Don't disagree, unfortunately there's not much to base it off. With the limited time spent in Spring practice or the Spring games where half (exaggeration) of the guys aren't even participating. Plus they do such vanilla drills this time of year. It'd be tough to do legitimate analysis. So instead we get the generic "Minnesota might be a dark-horse", "Wisconsin poised to retake the West", "Riley looking to make Nebraska a national power again" type articles that are virtually the same every year and you just update a few players' and coaches' names and situations.

I honestly wonder if writers trade articles sometimes year to year because I swear I've seen some of the stuff multiple years by multiple people...

A little over a year ago I saw a baseball article that ranked MLB managers by physical attractiveness. They should do that with all FBS head football coaches. :p

Great, another Fleck vs Claeys debate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read GopherHole for 4-months of fiction;
Get 4 months of neck exercises shaking my head;
Prepare for football and basketball Pick Per Day and Predict The Score contests.
Enjoy each and every day in the beautiful White Mountains of Arizona.

Top Bottom