Something to do after the Spring game before the Fall season

BroncoRedux

Reaction score
There has been a lot of great Gopher and Viking players over the years. I got to thinking about what Gopher player I would have wished to be a Viking and what Viking player I wished had come from the Gopher program. The Viking I wished had been a Gopher was pretty easy for me, Alan Page. The Gopher I wished had been a Viking was more difficult but I chose Tony Dungy. What are your picks?

Damien Wilson/Jeff George (was a star at the college level)

Karl Mecklenburg and Since no QB has been drafted from the U for a really long time, I'll go with Teddy Bridgewater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJ's Moms best friend to the Vikings in exchange for one of the love boat strippers...that would be a fair trade.

Laurence Maroney/Randy Moss.

I would have loved to see Maroney get a chance with any other franchise - New England is obviously great but they tend to diminish the individual results at a quite a few positions.

Moss is the greatest receiver of all time - would have been nice watching him carve up the Big10.

Laurence Maroney/Randy Moss.

I would have loved to see Maroney get a chance with any other franchise - New England is obviously great but they tend to diminish the individual results at a quite a few positions.

Moss is the greatest receiver of all time - would have been nice watching him carve up the Big10.

Jerry Rice is the greatest receiver of all time, and it's not close.

Jerry Rice is the greatest WR of all time. However, I think there can an interesting debate if you framed the question as "at their best, who would you have rather had, Moss or Rice?". I think that's a closer one.

Rice had two of the greatest QBs of all time throwing to him.
Moss made a career for Culpepper, and made career years for George and Cunningham. I really had 1 year with an elite QB and it was prolific.

The best WR of all time - - Rice and it's not close.
The best WR for 1 season in their prime - - gets a little more interesting.

To answer the main question, Peterson or Moss. Moss for the obvious reasons. It would have been fun watching Peterson run for one of those Mason teams.

Gophers on Vikes - MB3

Moss was certainly more talented. Even Rice says so: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...dy-mosss-laziness-was-hard-for-me-to-swallow/

You could also certainly argue that Randy's top seasons were better than Rice's. Hell, Moss had about 1,500 yards and 23 touchdowns when he was 30 years old because he was finally playing with an elite QB. If Moss had played most of his career with Brady, I don't think it would even be debatable who was better. It would have clearly been Moss all the way.

Eh - I probably have Rice as #2 so there's not a huge argument to be had, but I bet if you switched their situations Moss would have been more productive. Plus when you factor in the development of the species, Rice would have been more pedestrian in Moss's time. Rice wasn't going up against the quality of athlete in the defensive backfield - just because they didn't exist. He was great for his time, though.

Much like some may not consider Adrian Peterson the greatest RB of all time, but if you put in the game when Walter Payton was playing, the world might have exploded based on his size and speed.

Eh - I probably have Rice as #2 so there's not a huge argument to be had, but I bet if you switched their situations Moss would have been more productive. Plus when you factor in the development of the species, Rice would have been more pedestrian in Moss's time. Rice wasn't going up against the quality of athlete in the defensive backfield - just because they didn't exist. He was great for his time, though.

Much like some may not consider Adrian Peterson the greatest RB of all time, but if you put in the game when Walter Payton was playing, the world might have exploded based on his size and speed.

Anyone who doesn't have Rice #1 has an invalid opinion. The only argument is who is #2. The fact that Moss was far more athletic only serves to illustrate how much better Rice was as a receiver.

Anyone who doesn't have Rice #1 has an invalid opinion. The only argument is who is #2. The fact that Moss was far more athletic only serves to illustrate how much better Rice was as a receiver.

Lol. The arrogance is strong with this one. Also, athleticism contributes to your ability as a receiver. Moss was more talented. Or do you disagree with Jerry Rice on that?

Lol. The arrogance is strong with this one. Also, athleticism contributes to your ability as a receiver. Moss was more talented. Or do you disagree with Jerry Rice on that?

Moss was more talented. Once again, that only further reinforces how much better Rice was as a football player.

Steve Largent was better than Moss and Rice combined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My twist...

DT #39. Would loved to see him running on Mason's teams and with the Purple. His run against Mich was the most exciting I've ever seen. My top Gopher football memory period. That place was deafening as he headed up the sideline. Goosebumps.

Jim Brown had Peterson's size and speed and pre-dated Walter Payton by about 20 years. To the best of my knowledge, the world did not explode.

Jim Brown had Peterson's size and speed and pre-dated Walter Payton by about 20 years. To the best of my knowledge, the world did not explode.

Add Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson, Roger Craig, Herschel Walker, etc,...

Viking as a Gopher - Chris Doleman. One position Gophs have lacked forever is an exceptional pass rusher.

Gopher as a Viking - and a Twin - Eric Decker. I always wondered what Decker could have done in baseball with his raw ability. He had the talent to be an all-star level player if he would have pursued baseball more seriously.

My opinion is better than yours - that's how this works, right?

My opinion is better than yours - that's how this works, right?

Unless you just ignore basic facts, there is no reasonable argument to be made that anyone other than Jerry Rice is the best receiver in football history. The mere suggestion is absurd.

Viking as a Gopher - Chris Doleman. One position Gophs have lacked forever is an exceptional pass rusher.

Gopher as a Viking - and a Twin - Eric Decker. I always wondered what Decker could have done in baseball with his raw ability. He had the talent to be an all-star level player if he would have pursued baseball more seriously.

Like that twist with Decker. Would have been cool to see him play both at the pro level.

Unless you just ignore basic facts, there is no reasonable argument to be made that anyone other than Jerry Rice is the best receiver in football history. The mere suggestion is absurd.

Perhaps, but a case could be made that if Larry Fitzgerald plays as long as Jerry Rice did he would surpass all of Rice's records. I don't think Larry will play that long but he does have the trend line headed in the right direction.

Top Bottom