Kill on when Rutgers faces MN in 2019: it will definitely be awkward — and unique

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Ex-Gophers football coach Jerry Kill, the new offensive coordinator at Rutgers, won’t face Minnesota until 2019 in New Brunswick, N.J.

“If that time comes, it will definitely be awkward — and unique,” Kill said last week.

Kill said the situation at Rutgers reminds him of Minnesota when he took the Gophers job seven years ago.

“As far as where we’re at player-wise, the first year — there’s a lot of very similar situations,” he said.

Kill, 55, remains emphatic that he won’t be a head coach again.

“I’m done being a head coach,” he said. “I know I’m sleeping pretty good because I’ve got to worry about just a few things. A head coach has to worry about a whole lot of things.”

Kill said he hasn’t had any health issues for a long time.

“I lost about 20, 25 pounds, and then I’ve kinda gotten back in a routine — there’s a lot of good places to eat around here, so I’ve put on about five or six pounds,” he said. “New Jersey has a way to do that because it’s got a lot of great places to eat. Not that Minnesota doesn’t.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/15/walters-wild-playoff-crowds-are-loud-large-and-disappointed/

Go Gophers!!

I am thinking Shooter interviewed JK one time about 2 months ago and has different parts of it on timed-release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see if the current Rutgers staff can last all the way to 2019.

Not very many of Kill's players will still be on the team, so it won't be a really big deal for Minnesota.

He forgot to say the U will kick his butt!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only person its going to be awkward for is Jerry. Everyone else is moving on with their lives.

It will be fun to watch Rutgers RUTM.

Jerry won't even be at Rutgers in 2019

Can I be the guest defensive coordinator that day? I think I might do alright.....
Power Right, Power Left, Incomplete play action pass on 3rd and 4. Unless he gets tricky, and runs inside zone to use the QB as a potential run threat on one of those plays.

I for one am appreciative of everything Kill did for The University of Minnesota under some very awkward circumstances. I wish him nothing but success at Rutgers and future endeavors.

I for one am appreciative of everything Kill did for The University of Minnesota under some very awkward circumstances. I wish him nothing but success at Rutgers and future endeavors.

I wish him an S-load of success against all the teams in the B1G West other than the Gophers; beat Becky, the Hawks, NE, et al like a drum. Against the Gophers in 2019, I'm wishing him negative net yardage and MN +6 on the turnovers.

In general, we all do, but it is getting like the guy at work the once did you a favor and now he expects you to thank him for it every time you see him.

I wish him an S-load of success against all the teams in the B1G West other than the Gophers; beat Becky, the Hawks, NE, et al like a drum. Against the Gophers in 2019, I'm wishing him negative net yardage and MN +6 on the turnovers.

Even then, wins* against Rutgers don't count.

Against the Gophers in 2019, I'm wishing him negative net yardage and MN +6 on the turnovers.

Well when you put it that way, Rutgers is a good fit.....

rutgerz.0.gif

I think most folks are.

The constant references by Kill to MN, to even the grateful folks like me get to be a bit much.

In general, we all do, but it is getting like the guy at work the once did you a favor and now he expects you to thank him for it every time you see him.

Agreed.

This is the most accurate description of how the Minnesota - Jerry Kill relationship feels at this point that I've seen.

I hear you, but I doubt Kill is actively reaching out to the TC Media to give comments like this. Someone asked him a question, he answered it. Anyways 2019 is a long way out, could feel a lot different depending on what unfolds in these next two years. Kill did a lot for this program, he wasn't a great coach, but he was a good coach, building a good consistent program in away that hasn't been done here in a longtime. Hopefully PJ can build off of what Kill/Claeys and Co. established

I suppose it's not Kill's fault if the media keeps calling him.

But he's under no obligation to respond.

It will only be a thing for Jerry. By then, most or all of the players who ever played for him will be gone. I think Gopher fans will wax a little nostalgic because he was well regarded by most during his time here. Some of the mood will be a comparison between that era and the Fleck era, which should be well established by then.

Let's hope we're happily thinking of him as the guy that got the ball rolling for PJF, and not pining for a return to 8 wins and minor/medium bowls.

I hear you, but I doubt Kill is actively reaching out to the TC Media to give comments like this. Someone asked him a question, he answered it. Anyways 2019 is a long way out, could feel a lot different depending on what unfolds in these next two years. Kill did a lot for this program, he wasn't a great coach, but he was a good coach, building a good consistent program in away that hasn't been done here in a longtime. Hopefully PJ can build off of what Kill/Claeys and Co. established

Kill made a couple trips back to sell his book... I think he knows how to work the media to some extent, and yeah would do that.

And really just whipping up some media attention, I don't mind it, just after a while when you get the jerry kill sob stories about coaching at MN and constant references it wears on you.

Best of luck to him, and I'm still gonna be mildly snarky about it when I hear the references ;)

Kill made a couple trips back to sell his book... I think he knows how to work the media to some extent, and yeah would do that.

And really just whipping up some media attention, I don't mind it, just after a while when you get the jerry kill sob stories about coaching at MN and constant references it wears on you.

Best of luck to him, and I'm still gonna be mildly snarky about it when I hear the references ;)

Agreed. Although both Mason and now Kill have talked about the BOR and the lack of administrative support...there has to be some legs to that story. Jerry sounds a little bit like the scorned lover in the sense that you get the feeling he believes he would have still been head coach if the admin supported him better. I don't know but that's just the impression I get.

If PJF does what he did at Western all of this is moot and we will be discussing who the next helmet school trying to lure him away like Holtz!

Top Bottom