Shooter details conversation with Rick Pitino that led Stockman to Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

It was a candid chat with hall of fame Louisville men’s basketball coach Rick Pitino that has led 7-foot junior Matz Stockman to transfer to Minnesota.

“We talked and he said, ‘Coach, do you see me playing a lot?’ ” Pitino told the Pioneer Press last week. “I said Matz, I can’t tell — we have some great recruits coming in. And then he said he’d like to go someplace ‘where I’m guaranteed to be a factor whether we win or lose a game.’

“And I said, ‘Go to my son (Minnesota coach Richard Pitino) — he’s going to need some (big) players.’ ”

Stockman is from Oslo, Norway. At Louisville, Rick Pitino said “he had the misfortune of playing behind two centers, Mangok Mathiang and Amas Mahmoud. It wasn’t a matter of Matz not being good enough — it was playing behind two outstanding players.”

The scouting report on Stockman from Rick Pitino: “He’s a legitimate seven feet with a big-time 7-4 wingspan and he’s 250 pounds. With a 7-4 wingspan and being seven feet, if he gets near the basket, he’s going to dunk it like a rubber ball.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/15/walters-wild-playoff-crowds-are-loud-large-and-disappointed/

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

It was a candid chat with hall of fame Louisville men’s basketball coach Rick Pitino that has led 7-foot junior Matz Stockman to transfer to Minnesota.

“We talked and he said, ‘Coach, do you see me playing a lot?’ ” Pitino told the Pioneer Press last week. “I said Matz, I can’t tell — we have some great recruits coming in. And then he said he’d like to go someplace ‘where I’m guaranteed to be a factor whether we win or lose a game.’

“And I said, ‘Go to my son (Minnesota coach Richard Pitino) — he’s going to need some (big) players.’ ”

Stockman is from Oslo, Norway. At Louisville, Rick Pitino said “he had the misfortune of playing behind two centers, Mangok Mathiang and Amas Mahmoud. It wasn’t a matter of Matz not being good enough — it was playing behind two outstanding players.”

The scouting report on Stockman from Rick Pitino: “He’s a legitimate seven feet with a big-time 7-4 wingspan and he’s 250 pounds. With a 7-4 wingspan and being seven feet, if he gets near the basket, he’s going to dunk it like a rubber ball.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/15/walters-wild-playoff-crowds-are-loud-large-and-disappointed/

Go Gophers!!
. So this is made up fake news? Mathiang is a senior, perhaps Rick is rewarding him with a 5th year?

He meant he was 3rd string the past couple of years. Probably still would be with their recruiting class, even with Mathiang gone.

He meant he was 3rd string the past couple of years. Probably still would be with their recruiting class, even with Mathiang gone.

Louisville has bigs that play their style of ball (athletic/pressing) - Stockman would seem to fit the type of ball we've been playing (more of a grind got out style) I don't think Matz could find a better landing spot than Minnesota, especially because the number of "snakker du Norsk" residents (my guess would be Louisvilles' Scandinavian population is pretty low)

Time to add some lefse to the training table.

Translating from Coach into English:

Rick Pitino: Matz, please get the hell out of here so I can use your scholarship on someone who might have a chance of actually seeing the floor in a game that matters.

Ironically, the same speech his son gave to Ahmad Gilbert.

Rick Pitino: Matz, please get the hell out of here so I can use your scholarship on someone who might have a chance of actually seeing the floor in a game that matters.

A less angry version: Matz , we have a team that will be ranked in the top 5 and have players that more fit our style play ahead of you - doubtful we find someone that will play this year with your scholarship. Go to a team that can use you in a year when their senior center graduates. This gives you time to learn their system and become a contributor.

Maybe he can learn to block shots from Reggie and stay away from fouls.

Not exactly how i envisioned that talk went down. lol

And?

No way Rick would send a worthless player to Richard. And no way Richard would take on a worthless scholarship just to help his dad out. I have no doubt that Rick feels Matz can help us and I am sure Richard has seen enough of Matz to think he can would be a good fit.

And Matz is not going mess up any chemistry. It's a safe choice.

No way Rick would send a worthless player to Richard. And no way Richard would take on a worthless scholarship just to help his dad out. I have no doubt that Rick feels Matz can help us and I am sure Richard has seen enough of Matz to think he can would be a good fit.

Agreed. Anyone who suggests otherwise isn't thinking clearly.

A less angry version: Matz , we have a team that will be ranked in the top 5 and have players that more fit our style play ahead of you - doubtful we find someone that will play this year with your scholarship. Go to a team that can use you in a year when their senior center graduates. This gives you time to learn their system and become a contributor.

+1

I suggest that Richard takes Matz to the Happy Gnome to welcome him to Norway West. Lefse for everyone!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Is the NCAA going to have a problem w this? I mean... the dad saying go to my sons school is effectively a sitting head coach actively recruiting a player for his son, a sitting head coach at a different but still D1 school...? I hope not! It just smells of insider trading or something. Slippery slope n all that jazz...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the NCAA going to have a problem w this? I mean... the dad saying go to my sons school is effectively a sitting head coach actively recruiting a player for his son, a sitting head coach at a different but still D1 school...? I hope not! It just smells of insider trading or something. Slippery slope n all that jazz...

No because ultimately the kid still has to decide to go there and Richard doesn't have to take him.

How do you think many transfers players find schools? Isn't it common for coaches to help players another school?

How do you think many transfers players find schools? Isn't it common for coaches to help players another school?

Pitino said he was going to help Gilbert find a landing spot

Pitino said he was going to help Gilbert find a landing spot

Perhaps his buddy Dan McHale could use a wing/ stretch 4 at EKU. I am sure Rick and Billy D have other former assistants working as head coaches at the small-mid major level that Richard got to know over the years

Top Bottom