Pioneer Press: Gophers coach P.J. Fleck is clear: Rashad Still will get the ball

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

After Saturday’s spring scrimmage, Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck was very clear in how wide receiver Rashad Still will be utilized this fall.

“He has to be a bell cow,” Fleck said. “There isn’t like, ‘Well, if I develop, maybe they’ll throw me the ball.’ We’re gonna throw that guy the ball. We’re gonna throw him— I mean, (No.) 88 will get the football. And, I told him earlier in the week, I said, ‘You can either handle this like a mature man and understand what I’m telling you, that you are going to get the ball and stop working, or you know you’re gonna get the football and you change your best and become one of the best wide receivers in the Big Ten.”

As a sophomore last year, Still caught 18 passes for 349 yards in 10 games. He is the leading returning receiver this season and made a highlight-reel 47-yard catch on the first play of Saturday’s scrimmage.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/1...ear-rashad-still-will-get-the-ball-this-fall/

Go Gophers!!

Rashad Ratio 2.0?
Here's hoping he continues to work hard and turns himself into an all BIG performer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the way P.J. challenged Rashad to take the next step. I'm optimistic he will do it.

Hold up....I'm confused.....you mean to tell me your quarterback is allowed to throw the ball to those guys running down the field on near the sidelines? I just assumed those players were there for blocking and other purposes since we have not done much with them for the past 6 years or so. :)

Fleck definitely seems to have high hopes for Still, and hopefully he can live up to those expectations. He has all the physical tools to be successful. Would love to see us once again have at least some threat in the passing game and a guy like Still if he can get it done can be a matchup nightmare for a defense with his size.

Great. Can you believe this? Fleck just gave away our offensive game plan. This guy doesn't get it. :rolleyes:

Great. Can you believe this? Fleck just gave away our offensive game plan. This guy doesn't get it. :rolleyes:

And he put that sideline fly route on film. Crazy dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rashad seems to have the tools... Consistency, and competing for the tough catches with some "attitude" will go a long way.

Fleck also seems to have his eye on Tyler Johnson to be a big contributor.

After that I think things are pretty wide open for the next 2-3 wide outs that want to be a factor. I'd been waiting to see Hiemelewski, and he has the look of a contributor. Showed good hands and ran some nice routes. He is supposed to have a gigantic vertical as well.

Seems that Holland and Gentry are now afterthoughts.

Am i to read into this too much that we aren't going to use a very dynamic backfield with the run? Fleck knows that the cupboard isn't bare there I hope. I know we aren't going to be this ball control run 95% of the time team anymore but i would argue thunder and lightning are more proven than our WR core.

Am i to read into this too much that we aren't going to use a very dynamic backfield with the run? Fleck knows that the cupboard isn't bare there I hope. I know we aren't going to be this ball control run 95% of the time team anymore but i would argue thunder and lightning are more proven than our WR core.

Western Michigan had one of the best WRs in the country and still ran 427 times with its top two backs compared to 377 pass attempts from its starting QB. It still starts with the run.

A big difference will be tempo. On average, Minnesota ran four fewer plays than its opponents last year. WMU ran 11 more plays than its opponents on average.

Top Bottom