Oyenmwen Uzebu commits!

A. Not a single person has said that
B. Attendance plays zero role in determining the quality of a season on the field

I thought we were making things up people never said like 9 wins doesn't count. My mistake.

No, but performance directly impacts attendance

I thought we were making things up people never said like 9 wins doesn't count my mistake.

A lot of people have implied that, yes. Not a single person has stated or even remotely implied that this was the best season in Gopher history. That's completely fabricated and idiotic.

No, but performance directly impacts attendance

Along with approximately a million other things.

A lot of people have implied that, yes. Not a single person has stated or even remotely implied that this was the best season in Gopher history. That's completely fabricated and idiotic.

Along with approximately a million other things.

Not one person has said that 9 wins doesn't count. Many have rightfully said they didn't win any rivalry games and struggled to beat two win Rutgers.

Here's my argument. The ratings are a snapshot - a way to gauge a player's ability and/or potential - at this point in their lives. But, every player is different.

Kids develop differently. some kids at that age mature early, and have less room for growth. Other kids are later to mature, and much more room for growth, and hence a higher ceiling.

Some kids take coaching better than others. Some kids just flat out work harder than others. some kids rise to a challenge - others shrink from a challenge.

I don't think there is any star rating that can answer this question: when it's the 4th quarter, you're tired and hurting, and the game is on the line - which players will come through in the clutch?

There will always be intangibles involved in sports. No rating system can accurately measure all of that.

The ratings are fun, but only up to a point.

Hmm, thought if I opened up a thread called "Oyenmwen Uzebu commits!" that I'd read some comments about Oyenmwen Uzebu committing to the Gophers.

Hmm, thought if I opened up a thread called "Oyenmwen Uzebu commits!" that I'd read some comments about Oyenmwen Uzebu committing to the Gophers.

There are some in this thread. Just not in your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is all you need, buddy.
27c07d3003c58eb287b2576d515a5d9a.jpg

IALTO! Those seasons/wins here get you a lifetime contract and a statue.

GWG, step away from the keyboard a couple days.

LSU, Auburn, and USC have all also won a national championship in the last 15 years, 2 for LSU, and are located near hotbeds of football talent. They have higher expectations than we do and are better set up to reach them than we are.

Perhaps you guys were not in attendance at the Northwestern game? Apparently the fans did not think those wins counted either because the turn out was embarrassing. Not buying the "too cold excuse" either. It was time for a change.

The NW game was embarrassing from a turnout standpoint. But to think that we need to fire a coach because MN fans didn't show up is a complete stretch...

What are you going to do if only 40k turn out for the Illinois game this year?

Uzebu is going to be on the Gophers.

Do you think our chance of going to the Rose Bowl improves if 24/7 moves him up to a 4star? Same person. Same school.

Your point isn't valid for recruits we've already signed (I realized he hasn't signed yet). IF you recruit better players, they are (on average) ranked higher and there is a statistical correlation between that and winning.

That said, NOTHING changes with our current class if a couple of the high 3s become low 4s. They are who they are.

I get what you're saying but it does matter to a certain degree. Think about it like this - the star system is somewhat subjective but also has some validity to it. A 5-star player has demonstrated that they are a better prospect than others by their on-field performance, height, weight, performance at camps, etc etc. Most scouts (and colleges) believe they have a better chance at being a successful college football player. While having one player get bumped up to 4-stars by one recruiting service is fairly meaningless, imagine if the entire class got bumped from 3 to 4 stars at the end of the season. You could argue that they are the same players and it doesn't matter, but typically they have done something significant (i.e. on-field performance, etc) to warrant the higher evaluation. So the cumulative effect would be that our entire team performed at a higher-level than expected and based on observations, recruit niks believe they have a higher upside as a college football player.

Or maybe

The NW game was embarrassing from a turnout standpoint. But to think that we need to fire a coach because MN fans didn't show up is a complete stretch...

Maybe the question is not if? There was only a very generous estimate of 5,000 at the spring game. PJ struggled with attendance at WMU, at least compared to visions of adding seating to TCF. He filled a little over half of the seats at 30,000 seat capacity WMU while there, including the 13-1 season.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2015/12/western_michigan_football_had.html

Maybe the question is not if? There was only a very generous estimate of 5,000 at the spring game. PJ struggled with attendance at WMU, at least compared to visions of adding seating to TCF. He filled a little over half of the seats at 30,000 seat capacity WMU while there, including the 13-1 season.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2015/12/western_michigan_football_had.html

I think that the attendance last Saturday could be fairly estimated at 10,000. Considering what the weather looked like earlier in the morning, this was not bad.
It is certainly the best that I can recall.

I think that the attendance last Saturday could be fairly estimated at 10,000. Considering what the weather looked like earlier in the morning, this was not bad.
It is certainly the best that I can recall. I'd consider it a solid starting reference point for him.

It is certainly the best that I can recall.

Yep...10,000ish. Good start for Fleck. Thinking it doubles next year after the Gophs throw up another 8 in the regular season and another underdog bowl win!

Yep...10,000ish. Good start for Fleck. Thinking it doubles next year after the Gophs throw up another 8 in the regular season and another underdog bowl win!

And I will add this again... 9 (or 8?) wins this season would allow Fleck a verrrry high recruiting ceiling.

All we have to compare today is the attendance of the spring games of three coaches.
Kill 10K I was there
Claeys 3K I was there, it was small.
Fleck 10K Could not make it but looked like a Kill era crowd.

I predict a larger crowd than 40K for the Illinois game so I won't worry about it.

All we have to compare today is the attendance of the spring games of three coaches.
Kill 10K I was there

I predict a larger crowd than 40K for the Illinois game so I won't worry about it.

We had some pretty dead games during the Kill era. None were quite as bad as Northwestern, however, Michigan State a couple years ago was bad (the game Aaron Hill had a TD).

I think the first year, Fleck will get decent crowds. If Fleck goes 6-6 or 7-5 this year, I think that bump might diminish. We have fickle fans.

Kill 10K I was there

IMO, weather plays the biggest factor in Spring Game attendance here at the U.

Kill 10K I was there

I was there last year with Claeys, too. It was 35 degrees and the brain trust at the U made us sit in the shade. Even we thought we were crazy for being there.

Depends on what you consider consistent. Boise State, Baylor.

Boise isn't a P5 team, they recruit very well compared to their competition. Baylor, you found one team, hardly enough to back up your arguments. Although they recruit more often in the top 40 in the last 5 years or so, including 2 top 30 classes. They had a nice 5 year run which coincided with better reruiting. But even if I give you Baylor. So you named one team, how is that an argument? Why grasp to the outliers?

Not one person has said that 9 wins doesn't count. Many have rightfully said they didn't win any rivalry games and struggled to beat two win Rutgers.

This is, literally, the first response to my joke about not counting those wins:

"Perhaps you guys were not in attendance at the Northwestern game? Apparently the fans did not think those wins counted either because the turn out was embarrassing. Not buying the "too cold excuse" either. It was time for a change."

Yep, no one.

PJ struggled with attendance at WMU, at least compared to visions of adding seating to TCF. He filled a little over half of the seats at 30,000 seat capacity WMU while there, including the 13-1 season.

The announced crowd of 45,615 in the 65,200-seat venue blew away the previous MAC title-game record. The vast majority of the audience was pulling for 13th-ranked WMU against Ohio, as the Broncos earned their first MAC championship since 1988 with a thrilling 29-23 victory and kept their perfect season intact at 13-0.

The previous largest crowd for the MAC title game at Ford Field was the 25,483 drawn for Central Michigan's 31-10 win over Ohio in 2006. The previous largest audience figure for any MAC championship game was 28,085 in 1998, when Marshall hosted Toledo in a campus-site matchup.

Only one of the last six MAC title games hosted by Ford Field reached 20,000 in attendance.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2016/12/western_michigan-heavy_crowd_b.html

IMO, weather plays the biggest factor in Spring Game attendance here at the U.

Agreed.

It's a very "optional" and enthusiast focused thing as far as spring game crowds go.

And really... who cares? There are the fanatical teams that draw big crowds for their spring games, but also plenty of very good teams that don't draw huge crowds in spring.

I'll worry about the regular attendance, and really that is just Ws long before I worry about spring game stuff.

The announced crowd of 45,615 in the 65,200-seat venue blew away the previous MAC title-game record. The vast majority of the audience was pulling for 13th-ranked WMU against Ohio, as the Broncos earned their first MAC championship since 1988 with a thrilling 29-23 victory and kept their perfect season intact at 13-0.

The previous largest crowd for the MAC title game at Ford Field was the 25,483 drawn for Central Michigan's 31-10 win over Ohio in 2006. The previous largest audience figure for any MAC championship game was 28,085 in 1998, when Marshall hosted Toledo in a campus-site matchup.

Only one of the last six MAC title games hosted by Ford Field reached 20,000 in attendance.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2016/12/western_michigan-heavy_crowd_b.html

Also it's WMU, I think the potential attendance upside that you can make happen at WMU is pretty limited compared to Minnesota.

I think we've seen plenty of hints like with 2014 that if we can win regularly (and some big games) they will come.

PJ struggled with attendance at WMU, at least compared to visions of adding seating to TCF. He filled a little over half of the seats at 30,000 seat capacity WMU while there, including the 13-1 season.

Ever look at a map? Western Michigan is located in Kalamazoo, which is only 75,000 people and 150 miles from Detroit. Essentially, it's the equivalent of UMD. Not only that, but within a 100-mile radius of WMU's campus are Ann Arbor (98 miles), East Lansing (80 miles) and South Bend (85 miles), all having higher-profile football programs than WMU.

Now look at that map again. How many higher-profile football programs are within a 100-mile radius of the University of Minnesota? Plus, the Twin Cities are slightly bigger than Kalamazoo.

By the way, since when did 80% become "a little over half"? That was what WMU filled this season, averaging just under 24,000 fans per game.

147 comments before I posted this, and I count 35 comments actually about a really great commit, which also include a number of comments related to whether or not this is actually a thread about said recruit.

That works out to be 24% of the comments on this thread actually about Uzebu.

Lawd, this place is a ****ing cesspool.

Anyway, Ski-U-Mah Oyenmwen! Welcome to Minnesota.

Boise isn't a P5 team, they recruit very well compared to their competition. Baylor, you found one team, hardly enough to back up your arguments. Although they recruit more often in the top 40 in the last 5 years or so, including 2 top 30 classes. They had a nice 5 year run which coincided with better reruiting. But even if I give you Baylor. So you named one team, how is that an argument? Why grasp to the outliers?

Missed the P5 qualification in your post...or did I. I was answering your post question directly, which was not the point of my previous post. Never said what you asked.

Top Bottom