Oyenmwen Uzebu commits!

Nice get. Not trying to be a bubble burster, but Gophs need several 4-stars to even have a chance at a top 40 class. There are a good 25 teams below Gophs who are perennial top 40 with recruiting classes. Most have 5 or less commits right now.

I will be very happy if Gophs end up mid 40s for 2018 class.

Well all of that may be true, but doesn't change the fact we're signing kids with lots of p5 offers much earlier in the recruiting cycle than past years. Could be every single one of the decommits, I don't know and I can't predict the future. But the fact they are signing in April appears to be a good sign to me.

Multiple posts on whether our guys will get upgraded to 4-stars. Honestly, who cares? Does the kid get better if he is upgraded? The obsession on rankings is odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually look at other offers more than stars...most of these kids have a ton of offers from other P5 teams, and many from what I would consider to be very good programs. Overall I would say that these kids that have verballed are a higher caliber than what we have had this early in the recruiting cycle based upon that observation. Should be fun to keep following the recruiting for this class.

Multiple posts on whether our guys will get upgraded to 4-stars. Honestly, who cares? Does the kid get better if he is upgraded? The obsession on rankings is odd.

I agree that it doesn't matter to how good the player is or will be. But it certainly would help with the national perception and buzz about the program. There is value in that.

I agree that it doesn't matter to how good the player is or will be. But it certainly would help with the national perception and buzz about the program. There is value in that.

Agree to disagree. I'm not sure what national perception/buzz that would bring. Any that it did would be gone the next day except in MN. Who ranked 20-40 last year? Did your perception of those programs change?

PJF seems to be getting some great recruits. Positions of need. Guys other P5 programs want. I'll trust his evaluation and how he sees them fitting here and with each other. I'm not sure how them being a 3-star or 4-star makes any difference tho.

Nice get. Not trying to be a bubble burster, but Gophs need several 4-stars to even have a chance at a top 40 class. There are a good 25 teams below Gophs who are perennial top 40 with recruiting classes. Most have 5 or less commits right now.

1. Why would you be happy to finish in the mid 40s? That's asking pretty little of someone who is supposed to be a great recruiter. It's setting the bar pretty low.

2. You are somewhat right about the 4 star thing. Finishing in the top 40 with zero four stars is very rare, and has only happened with classes of at least 27 players.

Agree to disagree. I'm not sure what national perception/buzz that would bring. Any that it did would be gone the next day except in MN. Who ranked 20-40 last year? Did your perception of those programs change?

PJF seems to be getting some great recruits. Positions of need. Guys other P5 programs want. I'll trust his evaluation and how he sees them fitting here and with each other. I'm not sure how them being a 3-star or 4-star makes any difference tho.

Of course it creates buzz, that's why all the gopher promoters keep throwing out how we have the 10th ranked class right now. They are trying to drum up excitement from people who don't understand how recruiting rankings work.

Whats odd about it? Their is an obvious correlation between the recruiting rankings and the AP rankings if people would actually looked at the data. It's rare to finish in the top 25 in the final polls without a top 25 class on the roster.

Whats odd about it? Their is an obvious correlation between the recruiting rankings and the AP rankings if people would actually looked at the data. It's rare to finish in the top 25 in the final polls without a top 25 class on the roster.

Uzebu is going to be on the Gophers.

Do you think our chance of going to the Rose Bowl improves if 24/7 moves him up to a 4star? Same person. Same school.

Your point isn't valid for recruits we've already signed (I realized he hasn't signed yet). IF you recruit better players, they are (on average) ranked higher and there is a statistical correlation between that and winning.

That said, NOTHING changes with our current class if a couple of the high 3s become low 4s. They are who they are.

Even if Minnesota is only in the mid-40s for the Class of 2018, we're talking about a program that hasn't had a top-45 recruiting class since 2009.

2016 and 2017 they were top 41 and 38 according to rivals.

Of course it creates buzz, that's why all the gopher promoters keep throwing out how we have the 10th ranked class right now. They are trying to drum up excitement from people who don't understand how recruiting rankings work.

Agreed. Maryland created quite a buzz with their top 20 class no doubt. It gives the doubters reason to believe things are moving in the right direction. Although I personally don't care about the rankings much but it certainly can help with the overall perception.

A 16 year old 6'6" 290 to 305 pound HS O-lineman who looks to be in very good shape has beast potential. I am pretty excited for this young man wearing maroon and gold. Best to him and his future!

So Michigan has a coach that will do sleep overs and we have a coach that jumps up and wrap his legs around you when he give you a hug.

Uzebu is going to be on the Gophers.

Do you think our chance of going to the Rose Bowl improves if 24/7 moves him up to a 4star? Same person. Same school.

That said, NOTHING changes with our current class if a couple of the high 3s become low 4s. They are who they are.

No one is saying that it changes who they are or directly improves our odds of winning the Rose Bowl. What some of us are saying is that it is good PR for the program to have higher ranked recruits and future potential recruits notice and may be influenced by such things. If the perception of the program goes up, it may help get other higher caliber recruits to consider the U.

So it can be good for the future of the program, even if it doesn't change the potential of the current recruit.

No one is saying that it changes who they are or directly improves our odds of winning the Rose Bowl. What some of us are saying is that it is good PR for the program to have higher ranked recruits and future potential recruits notice and may be influenced by such things. If the perception of the program goes up, it may help get other higher caliber recruits to consider the U.

So it can be good for the future of the program, even if it doesn't change the potential of the current recruit.

I agree with what you're saying if you're going the PR route.

Btown's argument was not a PR argument.

Great to see another good-sized OL commit. I don't get that excited, but I really want to see what Warriner can do with the raw material both here and slated to come here.

Bob, I agree on the PR angle and PR, while not everything and necessarily translatable to anything, can be a help. It reminds me of the old hackneyed saw, "I met a CEO once who told me he didn't believe in public relations and for the life of me, I can't remember his name."

Agreed. When you watch the NFL draft coming up we'll see 2 star guards and tackles being drafted. People say stars don't matter, but when someone recruits a 2 star player the "internet" board lights up with disgust.

Yet Fleck has been after a number of 4*s and official visits haven't even started. Yet you feel the need to post this in every. single. recruiting. thread.

Recruiting rankings vs AP rankings is a different debate (one I also disagree with you on). My question is why folks care if this particular recruit changes from a 3-star to 4-star. That is what I said was odd.

A 16 year old 6'6" 290 to 305 pound HS O-lineman who looks to be in very good shape has beast potential. I am pretty excited for this young man wearing maroon and gold. Best to him and his future!
He was apparently just 15 at time his junior year hudl video came out, and he was dominating. He's going to be a monster. Great addition.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/3916892/583b4ec8dfd8b72524bdbb29' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Recruiting rankings vs AP rankings is a different debate (one I also disagree with you on). My question is why folks care if this particular recruit changes from a 3-star to 4-star. That is what I said was odd.

There's nothing to "disagree" on. It is a fact that there is a strong positive correlation between recruiting rankings and on-field results.

There's nothing to "disagree" on. It is a fact that there is a strong positive correlation between recruiting rankings and on-field results.

Sure the teams ranked 1-10 will likely be better than those ranked 30-40. However, until the day I die no one will ever convince me that which team in the 20-40 ranked range has the best class is anything more than a roll-of-the-dice.

Sure the teams ranked 1-10 will likely be better than those ranked 30-40. However, until the day I die no one will ever convince me that which team in the 20-40 ranked range has the best class is anything more than a roll-of-the-dice.

Nice try, but that's a completely different argument.

He was apparently just 15 at time his junior year hudl video came out, and he was dominating. He's going to be a monster. Great addition.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/3916892/583b4ec8dfd8b72524bdbb29' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just imagine yourself at 15 and then watch this kid

Just remember there's not a huge difference unless you're in the top fifteen or so. Last year Penn State at 15th had 238.80 points and Arizona State at 37th had 200.30. The highest ranked team without a 4 or 5 star was Baylor at 40th with 192.00 points. Unless a class is at the very top how well it's put together is more important than even a ten place difference in ranking.

Huh? That has always been my argument.

If you want to argue the validity of recruiting rankings against each other OR against results on the field, fine, but they are two separate arguments.

If you want to argue the validity of recruiting rankings against each other OR against results on the field, fine, but they are two separate arguments.

Fair enough. I likely didn't word my position very well. I was trying to get back to my original point wondering why folks care if OU gets upgraded and short-handed poorly.

Top Bottom