House Report: Croft takes command, Coughlin flourishes in edge rushing role

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
House Report: Croft takes command, Coughlin flourishes in edge rushing role

The Minnesota Golden Gophers wrapped up spring practices with the first spring game under new head coach P.J. Fleck. With a well-attended crowd on hand, the game ended with a 42-40 score. The game featured frequent breaks to rest the five offensive lineman, but the group held up for the duration of the game. Quarterback Demry Croft led the Gophers on two touchdown drives, while Conor Rhoda’s drives stalled. Running back Jonathan Femi-Cole had two rushing touchdowns, while Rodney Smith added a 17-yard touchdown in the first half.

Here are some of my surface observations. I’m going to take a dive through the BTN broadcast for a second look as well:

Croft wins the day

Quarterback Demry Croft performed well in the spring game, completing 8 of his 13 passes for 109 yards. He connected with wide receiver Rashad Still on a long fade to open the game. Croft had command of the offense and excelled throwing the ball deep down the field with superb touch. The main flaw in his game comes when throwing across the middle. He has a tendency to drop his elbow and it leads to sailing throws on crossing routes. It appears to be a flaw in his mechanics that leads to this trouble.

Conor Rhoda completed 8 of his 12 passes for 70 yards. He did not lead the offense on a scoring drive and doesn’t display much arm talent. Rhoda had trouble when the pocket collapsed and struggled to keep his eyes up the field. However, he was much more accurate than Demry Croft on throws across the middle. Rhoda doesn’t provide as much flexibility in the read option looks the Gophers run, while Croft maximizes it. The Gophers ran a buck sweep often out of the RPO sets and it was tough to stop. Rodney Smith got downhill and scored a 17-yard touchdown on the first drive of the game. The offense moved the ball on a four-play drive and Croft delivered the throws with zip and accuracy vertically.

The quarterback battle was won by Demry Croft during the spring game, but we will see how each of them continue to progress as fall ball approaches.

Femi-Cole scores two touchdowns

Rodney Smith ran well out of the run-pass option look and slithered through defenders for a 17-yard touchdown. He should flourish in the power blocking scheme the Gophers run out of their offense. Despite being held out this week, Shannon Brooks played in the spring game, but saw limited reps.

The star at the running back position in this game was Jonathan Femi-Cole. He had two rushing touchdowns from 21 and 12 yards out. He ran with power and flourishes when he gets a head of steam going north and south. He shook tackles and displayed strong vision in the second level. Femi-Cole had 8 carries for 75 and two touchdowns, leading the Gophers’ rushing attack.

Johnson’s route running has improved, Hmielewski sees extended time

Wide receiver Tyler Johnson flashed his improved route running and play-making ability. He gets separation at the top of his route and can settle into the soft spots in coverage. Johnson had several catches and will be lined up all over the field. I particularly want to see him out of jet sweep looks in the run/pass options of the offense. He has been one of the most improved players this spring

Wide receiver Drew Hmielewski saw extended action during the spring game and built off a strong close to spring practices. He broke off his routes and tracked the ball well. Hmielewski made a contested catch off an out route on cornerback Antonio Shenault. He managed to win the battle by having better body position. He also had two more grabs during the game and is a player who quietly runs good routes and gets separation off his first step. Fleck called him one of the most improved players on the field.

Finally, Rashad Still opened the game with a long grab on a fade up the sideline. He had one drop across the middle and still struggles when he is forced to make a contested grab. Still did have one contested catch and shows flashes where he can go up and win battles with the defensive back. He worked in the slot a little and continues to see work in a variety of different spots as the coaches try to garner his skill-set. P.J. Fleck said he is trying to get through to him mentally to take advantage of his abilities.

Five lineman play the whole game
The offensive line combination of Donnell Greene, Brandon Dovich, Conner Olson, Sam Schlueter, and Nick Connelly should receive an award for making it through spring ball. These guys battled through the depth issues up front and played the entire spring game. They had frequent breaks, but it’s still a daunting task. The offensive line started strong, but progressively weakened as the game went on and they got more tired. Coach Fleck said after the game that if any group is ready for spring ball to be over, it’s the offensive line.

I was impressed with center Conner Olson. Olson played with a strong base and low pad level. He drove through defenders and got to the second level when opening up holes. The running backs ran well on the left side behind Donnell Greene and Brandon Dovich. Greene is developing into the player I thought he could be with his frame and natural abilities. Now, he needs to be consistent. It was hard to evaluate this group with the amount of reps they were receiving, but the offensive line play will be the biggest question mark heading into the regular season.

Coughlin and Devers flourish in stand-up role

The transition for Carter Coughlin and Tai’yon Devers as edge rushers appears to be going as planned. Coughlin had two sacks and Devers added two pressures and a tackle for loss. Coughlin uses his footwork and strong hand technique to finesse the player up front. He then sets the blocker up with speed and a strong pass rushing move. He has responded well to the coaching from Bryce Paup and may have a chance to be a difference-maker on defense this year.

Similarly, Tai-yon Devers appears to be playing with more strength and physicality up front. He pulled off a block and notched a tackle for loss late in the game. Devers needed to become more physical and I see flashes of it. He needs to be consistent and I’m excited to see him in more meaningful live action. The duo of Coughlin and Devers is going to be a strong force in the pass rushing aspect of the game.

In the interior, I thought Andrew Stetler played a little stiff and his pad level had a tendency to be high. This wasn’t something I saw during spring ball, but it crept into his game today. Steven Richardson is such a talented player and his quick agility, paired with a hint of strength makes him a tough player.

Secondary is up-and-down
The secondary showed a little more growing pains today in team action. Antonio Shenault struggled at times and didn’t display the most impressive ball skills. He didn’t win physical battles and the cornerback group looked a little inexperienced in terms of depth. As the wide receivers ran more route combinations and concepts, the defensive backs struggled to make plays on the ball. Kiondre Thomas has shown potential and Antoine Winfield Jr. is the best player on the defensive side of the ball. It will be important for two of the freshman cornerbacks coming in to step up as depth or contributors.

However, the defensive backs have shown an ability to make plays on the ball. Calvin Swenson had two pass breakups and Antoine Winfield Jr. added another. In addition, Duke McGhee and Kunle Ayinde had interceptions off a tipped pass thrown by quarterback Seth Green and a telegraphed throw by Tanner Morgan. The defensive backs are making the plays when the opportunity arises, but I want to see them create pass breakups.

Press Conference Videos:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Would not say Croft won the day by any stretch. The opening long pass was nice. Looked pretty even to me, given the limited snaps, play selection, and whether they were working with 1st team offense or facing 1st team defense.

Interesting take on the game Daniel. The open thread expressed some different points of view versus your summary but that's to be expected. Thanks for putting this together.

I thought Croft looked the most confident and had good poise. Morgan however you could see the potential. I have a feeling that he may not be red shirting. He made the mistake on the pick but other than that I thought he went through his reads well. We need some better corner play. D line is going to be pretty decent overall. We will see what the online looks like in the fall but I bet they will be alright. I thought the 5 looked pretty decent today. Very nice crowd on hand...as good as I've seen in about 8 years of going.

Would not say Croft won the day by any stretch. The opening long pass was nice. Looked pretty even to me, given the limited snaps, play selection, and whether they were working with 1st team offense or facing 1st team defense.

Winning one day is different than winning the job, but Croft looked in command more than Rhoda. He has more upside in the RPO system too. Yeah, it's important to see more reps in different situations. Croft was better today in my eyes, but that doesn't mean he will be in the fall. The job is wide open still.

No problem! I wanted to provide my viewpoint from a football schematics vantage point.

I thought Croft looked the most confident and had good poise. Morgan however you could see the potential. I have a feeling that he may not be red shirting. He made the mistake on the pick but other than that I thought he went through his reads well. We need some better corner play. D line is going to be pretty decent overall. We will see what the online looks like in the fall but I bet they will be alright. I thought the 5 looked pretty decent today. Very nice crowd on hand...as good as I've seen in about 8 years of going.

In regards to Morgan, I don't see him being ready to contribute. Based upon the practices I've been at, he has a ways to go. However, the potential is definitely there. Just needs time to adjust. OL and DB are the biggest questions in my eyes heading into the fall. Need to solidify a few things there.

It's not a big deal but Quinn Oseland played some downs at right guard. Still it was only six offensive linemen.

Thanks for the house report. Gives me a different perspective from the Posters reports. However quick to add, appreciate all.

Daniel, you bring down the house with your report. You have excellent video reporting that is appreciated by many.

Thank you for the excellent work and for bringing it to Gopherholers.

I agree. QB is still up for grabs, but I am leaning to Croft, then Rhoda, and Green in that order with Morgan red shirted.

Tanner Morgan seem determined, but he needs seasoning at the collegiate level. College competition is one notch above HS. So, he is now facing players that are most likely bigger, faster, and stronger than HS. He needs to slow the game down mentally, and he'll be fine. I am excited for his potential and his determined demeanor. This kid is hungry.

We'll see an added element more frequently with our edge rushers Coughlin and Devers. I am surprised to see that Coughlin is 6' 4" tall. I thought he was shorter. This kid may be playing on Sundays.

From what I saw, McCrary and Femi-Cole are great additions to the RBs. We've got four capable backs.

The WRs are in good hands with Simon and PJF. I expect to see them develop to a new level in Gopher Football. This IMHO, if they mature and develop under the new system will bring us the closest to having legitimate run-pass dual threat.

I did not see or hear much about our TEs. Maybe, this Fall we'll see this group more in the offensive protection scheme and passing attack.

Finally, my biggest worry is how thin we are at the Offensive Line. I wish Jimmie Terry did not decommit. We can sure use more bodies.

Daniel, you bring down the house with your report. You have excellent video reporting that is appreciated by many.

I agree. QB is still up for grab, but I am leaning to Croft, then Rhoda, and Green in that order with Morgan red shirted.

Tanner Morgan seem determined, but he needs seasoning at the collegiate level. College competition is one notch above HS. So, he is now facing players that are most likely bigger, faster, and stronger than HS. He needs to slow the game down mentally, and he'll be fine. I am excited for his potential and his determined demeanor. This kid is hungry.

We'll see an added element more frequently with our edge rushers Coughlin and Devers. I am surprised to see that Coughlin is 6' 4" tall. I thought he was shorter. This kid may be playing on Sundays.

From what I saw, McRary and Femi-Cole are great additions to the RBs. We've got four capable backs.

The WRs are in good hands with Simon and PJF. I expect to see them develop to a new level in Gopher Football. This IMHO, if they mature and develop under the new system will bring us the closest to having legitimate run-pass dual threat.

I did not see or hear much about our TEs. Maybe, this Fall we'll see this group see more in the offensive protection scheme and passing attack.

Finally, my biggest worry is how thin we are at the Offensive Line. I wish Jimmie Terry did not decommit. We can sure use more bodies.

Thanks for reading! Glad you enjoy them! I agree with everything you said. Everything was kept very basic compared to what I've seen some days at practice. You'll see the tight ends, don't worry.

I'll second this! Thank you, Daniel!

Winning one day is different than winning the job, but Croft looked in command more than Rhoda. He has more upside in the RPO system too. Yeah, it's important to see more reps in different situations. Croft was better today in my eyes, but that doesn't mean he will be in the fall. The job is wide open still.

Not to belabor this the first play was nice but not RPO. There were not enough of those plays for either for me to say Croft was markedly better. Croft started well and slowed, Rhoda started slow and got better. Looked very even by the end, given the limited plays used, reps taken, and changing personnel around them.

As for Devers, I saw more of the back of his jersey than anything else. Even said something to the guy next to me because I thought I was missing him on the field. #88 seemed to play much more than Devers.

Olson may be blocking well, but the errant snaps negated any of that in my opinion.

Perhaps some of your other practice observations are mixed into the Saturday performances you saw?

Top Bottom