What do you hope to see at the Spring Game?

We don't split up into two teams. We scrimmage offense vs. defense on half the field and just sub people in and don't keep score because there aren't two teams.

It's no wonder nobody goes.

Yes, not split into two teams, but Gophs did "live"games in the past...full field with refs, special teams, etc.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/udSQXnwfgkI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jTQRVVtEHuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eFbl6Ttm7Yw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes, not split into two teams, but Gophs did "live"games in the past...full field with refs, special teams, etc.

I can't watch those videos but it looks like in 2016 we actually did split into 2 teams and play some football. If you look at 2015 and 2014, all the offensive highlights are going one direction.

Maybe those two years were just an exception and those just happen to be the only two I have attended. I had lost all interest in spring games after that. I hope that PJ plans to split into two teams and play football once he has his depth issues sorted out.

I don't see any rosters announced for this year so I imagine it will just be offense vs. defense on one side of the field.

It'd be silly to choose teams like in the back yard. Part of practice is getting units, teammates comfortable and used to working with each other. Guys earn first and second team. I'd be surprised if anybody chooses teams as you propose. We did offense versus defense, 2 vs 1, 1 vs 2 etc and they did keep score in the past. The problem PJ has is there is no second offensive line unit to rotate in on change of possession. So you can't scrimmage and leave one unit to die, they are used to coming off the field when the opponent goes on offense.

I'm not about to go research every team's spring game. I know Nebraska plays as close to real football as you can hope to expect in a meaningless practice game. I'm sure others do too. I hope PJ does the same once he gets the depth he should have in college football.

I can't watch those videos but it looks like in 2016 we actually did split into 2 teams and play some football. If you look at 2015 and 2014, all the offensive highlights are going one direction.

Maybe those two years were just an exception and those just happen to be the only two I have attended. I had lost all interest in spring games after that. I hope that PJ plans to split into two teams and play football once he has his depth issues sorted out.

I don't see any rosters announced for this year so I imagine it will just be offense vs. defense on one side of the field.

Not being a Richard but they went both ways and used the whole field...offense highlights going towards open end and towards student section. Play clock, substitutions, timeouts, etc. Did you go to those games?

My first Gopher spring game. Very excited for it! The person I was going with backed out today though. I have an extra ticket for the Scholarship seating tailgate if someone needs one send me a private message.

Not being a Richard but they went both ways and used the whole field...offense highlights going towards open end and towards student section. Play clock, substitutions, timeouts, etc. Did you go to those games?

Yes, I vividly remember the one on a nice sunny day right after the alumni flag football game. It was 2015. It was not a football game. It was glorified practice. I remember because Jerry got on the mic and told us it would be one before they got started. I may be misremembering 2014, and if I am I apologize but I am pretty sure it was the same.

Yes, I vividly remember the one on a nice sunny day right after the alumni flag football game. It was 2015. It was not a football game. It was glorified practice. I remember because Jerry got on the mic and told us it would be one before they got started. I may be misremembering 2014, and if I am I apologize but I am pretty sure it was the same.

Vids show it pretty clearly...we shall agree to disagree.

If I'm an idiot, I'm an idiot and I'll accept that.

I just hope going forward that the games are how you describe. I'll just leave it at that. The closer we are to real games the better it is for fans.

Agree. I actually like the O vs. D games though. If someone gets injured, at least there is a good chance they can recover and play in the fall.

Vids show it pretty clearly...we shall agree to disagree.

I just hope going forward that the games are how you describe. I'll just leave it at that. The closer we are to real games the better it is for fans.

Agree. I actually like the O vs. D games though. If someone gets injured, at least there is a good chance they can recover and play in the fall.

I'd like to see a gathering spot at the stadium set up to discuss Claeys vs PJF thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all due respect, I find it a little odd to have a thread asking "what do you hope to see," when Fleck has already said that it's not going to be a traditional game-like format. Due to the shortage of linemen, Fleck has said it will be more of a practice situation, with a little scrimmaging, along with players demonstrating drills and doing some "fun" things for the fans. So, not a Spring "Game" in any sense of the word. Hopefully in future years, they can fix the depth/injury issues and have a more traditional game format.

But, it's not happening this year. The Coach already told us that.

About the only thing you'll be able to glean is a general sense of what the offense may look like, and gauge the athleticism of various players.

With all due respect, I find it a little odd to have a thread asking "what do you hope to see," when Fleck has already said that it's not going to be a traditional game-like format. Due to the shortage of linemen, Fleck has said it will be more of a practice situation, with a little scrimmaging, along with players demonstrating drills and doing some "fun" things for the fans. So, not a Spring "Game" in any sense of the word. Hopefully in future years, they can fix the depth/injury issues and have a more traditional game format.

But, it's not happening this year. The Coach already told us that.

<b>About the only thing you'll be able to glean is a general sense of what the offense may look like, and gauge the athleticism of various players.</b>

Maybe that's what someone is hoping to see?

How many teams play what would qualify as "a real game"?

Back in the 50s we had a varsity vs alumni game. It was an amazing event with guys like Nomellini and Nagurski strapping it on. The worst spring game I ever saw was Brewster's first.

I won't be able to see it, but I hope to be able to hear about a crisp and decisive passing game.

Over the last few years, even in spring games/FCS games/etc., our passing game has looked off. Even when we were effective, the QBs never looked decisive, our WRs never seemed to be getting open, it just wasn't impressive. I don't know who to direct the blame to - - Mitch, Anderson, Coach Z, Kill, Claeys - - it doesn't matter (probably all of them). I just hope our QBs come out and look decisive. I hope our WRs either make plays (or look to be capable of making plays).

Back in the 50s we had a varsity vs alumni game. It was an amazing event with guys like Nomellini and Nagurski strapping it on. The worst spring game I ever saw was Brewster's first.

Was that the one at St. Thomas?

Top Bottom