Shama: Bowl win over WSU was "2nd best Gophers bowl win ever" (62 Rose Bowl)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Shama: Bowl win over WSU was "2nd best Gophers bowl win ever" (62 Rose Bowl)

per Shama:

Former Gophers football star Jim Carter told Sports Headliners that Wake Forest defensive coordinator Jay Sawvell has reached out to Mike Sherels for input. Sawvell was the Gophers defensive coordinator last season when Sherels worked for him as linebackers coach. Sherels dealt with life-threatening health issues in 2016.

The defensive preparation by the Gophers and the upset win over heavily favored Washington State in the Holiday Bowl last December represents one of the great coaching jobs in U history. My opinion is the 17-12 win over the Cougars was the second best Gophers bowl win ever—with only the 1962 Rose Bowl victory against UCLA more impressive.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Other candidates would probably be the 2003 Sun Bowl (over 8-win Oregon), and the 2002 Music City Bowl (over 9-win Arkansas). The win over Bama was nice, of course, but they were a 6-5 team that year.

EDIT: Ok, I'm going to rank the bowl wins in my opinion:

1. 1962 Rose Bowl (vs UCLA)
2. 2003 Sun Bowl (vs Oregon)
3. 2016 Holiday Bowl (vs Washington State)
4. 2002 Music City Bowl (vs Arkansas)
5. 2004 Music City Bowl (vs Alabama)
6. 1985 Independence Bowl (vs Clemson)
7. 2015 Quick Lane Bowl (vs Central Michigan)

It was a good win... i'm not sure the suspensions and cloud there make the story all that ... great.

It was one of the most surprising Gopher wins period of my lifetime. Everything about that matchup and the situation said the Gophers were going to be nuked toast, and the job the players and coaches did was tremendous.

Other candidates would probably be the 2003 Sun Bowl (over 8-win Oregon), and the 2002 Music City Bowl (over 9-win Arkansas). The win over Bama was nice, of course, but they were a 6-5 team that year.

EDIT: Ok, I'm going to rank the bowl wins in my opinion:

1. 1962 Rose Bowl (vs UCLA)
2. 2003 Sun Bowl (vs Oregon)
3. 2016 Holiday Bowl (vs Washington State)
4. 2002 Music City Bowl (vs Arkansas)
5. 2004 Music City Bowl (vs Alabama)
6. 1985 Independence Bowl (vs Clemson)
7. 2015 Quick Lane Bowl (vs Central Michigan)

I'm with you on the Oregon win in the Sunbowl.

Bowl win*
Not a rival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom