Spring Game: Oars

PJF's personality and relentless enthusiasm are responsible for his recruiting success. He could sell the program just as easily without RTB, because of who he is.
A player isn't choosing to come to the U because of RTB, they are coming here because they want to play for PJF and for the position coach, along with the chance to play in the BIG. Some are even choosing to come here because of academic offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1. You definitely don't know that.
2. Yes, they want to play for Fleck and everything that comes with him which includes "Row the Boat"

Bronco, it is possible that Fleck had not done a good job grieving. He put all his efforts into his work at the cost of destroying his marriage. It is possible to use your deceased child in an unhealthy way that feeds your selfishness as you avoid grief. You can even tell yourself that you are honoring your child in the process.
Only Fleck and those close to him know how well he has grieved and how healthy his process has been.
Why, however, does he use such a personal issue to plug his program and process to the media. I think it is perfectly fine to question his motivation.

Wow. Just when I didn't think you could be any bigger of an asshole, you post something like this.

PJF's personality and relentless enthusiasm are responsible for his recruiting success. He could sell the program just as easily without RTB, because of who he is.
A player isn't choosing to come to the U because of RTB, they are coming here because they want to play for PJF and for the position coach, along with the chance to play in the BIG. Some are even choosing to come here because of academic offerings.

Fleck is a motivator. When I think of motivational speakers, I think they frequently have some sort of buzzword, saying, motto, acronym, catchphrase or whatever that is supposed to stick with you, that kind of embodies their principles and philosophy. The catchphrases come with the territory of the energy and enthusiasm. Perhaps it's to his advantage that other coaches aren't promoting their personal mottoes at their respective football programs. I'd guess that "Row the Boat" sticks in fans' and recruits' minds in a way that things like "Give 100%," "Work hard," and "Respect" do not. When you hear "Row the Boat," you instantly think of P.J. Fleck, and I think it helps to have that phrase sticking in people's minds, actual words, instead of just the idea of that excitable, enthusiastic coach at Minnesota.

1. You definitely don't know that.
2. Yes, they want to play for Fleck and everything that comes with him which includes "Row the Boat"

To 1. Neither do you.
To 2. By that logic then, kids are picking to play for the U of M, because they like Heather...

Wow. Just when I didn't think you could be any bigger of an asshole, you post something like this.
You and johnnyboy just don't want to talk about Fleck as a real human. You have placed him on an unrealistic pedastal where no man lives.
I have seen men grieve well and men grieve poorly. We do not know how well Fleck has grieved or been grieving. We do know that he is the one who brought up row the boat and connected it to the death of his son. We know that he promotes it relentlessly. The question is why? You choose to avoid the question. I don't.
Somehow you call that being an asshole. I say you live in avoidance of difficult subject matter. Time to grow up, ur.

I'm fine with RTB slogan even if it isn't part of MN or U of M lore anymore than it's part of WMU culture now. It's part of his recruiting and marketing schtick and it's catchy. Plastering the stadium with oars is a bridge too far IMO, but that's just my opinion. I have a feeling if Fleck wanted to change the mascot to the argonauts, put a fifty foot tall mural of his handsome mug high atop the scoreboard some of you would be cool with it.

If Fleck does well here and signs a long-term contract I'll be as on board as the biggest Flecker here. History tells us virtually every coach that has great success at non-helmet schools will either head to a helmet school or the pros. Recent exceptions would be people like Dantonio, Patterson, Ferentz but their personalities are 180 from Fleck. I hate this but I genuinely believe Fleck's enormous ego and ambition will drive him to bolt at the first good opportunity and take RTB with him, and the oars will still be plastered on the stadium. I hope I'm wrong. In summary, RTB slogan cool; don't plaster it all over town. Nuanced position...

You and johnnyboy just don't want to talk about Fleck as a real human. You have placed him on an unrealistic pedastal where no man lives.
I have seen men grieve well and men grieve poorly. We do not know how well Fleck has grieved or been grieving. We do know that he is the one who brought up row the boat and connected it to the death of his son. We know that he promotes it relentlessly. The question is why? You choose to avoid the question. I don't.
Somehow you call that being an asshole. I say you live in avoidance of difficult subject matter. Time to grow up, ur.

No, we just don't make character attacks on something we don't know anything about. Not a hard concept.

I would call it unwarranted criticism and nitpicking just to troll fans.

Several people have had live changing incidents happen to them that they use for motivation. Do you question the sincerity of a cancer survivor that leads cancer prevention or family health programs? Do you question the sincerity of a parent who's child died in a car accident because of texting, drinking, etc. for being a foster parent, coaching youth programs or educating children about what dangers to avoid? I am not trying to equate Fleck's situation to any of those, just pointing out how you are so quick to question his sincerity and not others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm fine with RTB slogan even if it isn't part of MN or U of M lore anymore than it's part of WMU culture now. It's part of his recruiting and marketing schtick and it's catchy. Plastering the stadium with oars is a bridge too far IMO, but that's just my opinion. I have a feeling if Fleck wanted to change the mascot to the argonauts, put a fifty foot tall mural of his handsome mug high atop the scoreboard some of you would be cool with it.

If Fleck does well here and signs a long-term contract I'll be as on board as the biggest Flecker here. History tells us virtually every coach that has great success at non-helmet schools will either head to a helmet school or the pros. Recent exceptions would be people like Dantonio, Patterson, Ferentz but their personalities are 180 from Fleck. I hate this but I genuinely believe Fleck's enormous ego and ambition will drive him to bolt at the first good opportunity and take RTB with him, and the oars will still be plastered on the stadium. I hope I'm wrong. In summary, RTB slogan cool; don't plaster it all over town. Nuanced position...

The thing is helmet schools won't allow him to bring his Row the Boat thing and plasture it everywhere. Can you imagine a place like Auburn or Notre Dame being rebranded like that? That's probably a big deal for him. He also mentions building continuity like Ferentz at Iowa and Alvarez at Wisconsin quite a bit recently.

To 1. Neither do you.
To 2. By that logic then, kids are picking to play for the U of M, because they like Heather...

If a kid picks MN that MUST mean he picked it because of everything to do with the state, coach, and university. Why are you having so much trouble with this "logic"?

A kid picks MN, it must partially be for the lutefisk. It has to be, because lutefisk is known in MN, and he wants to come to MN, so. . .

Don't stop believing.

For me, I'm going to get excited when we put a good product on the field, play elite defense, and destroy, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan. We've been oh so close to turning the corner. We now have elite recruiters and some legit NFL moxie in Bryce Paup. We have Ed Warriner. We have Ciarroca and a guy that isn't afraid to buck convention and ride offensive trends rather than stick to walrus ball because it's always worked in the past. Jury's out on Robb IMO.

Things are genuinely looking up but this is the honeymoon. They need to hit the ground running or the fleckxicon is going to seem pretty empty.

If a kid picks MN that MUST mean he picked it because of everything to do with the state, coach, and university. Why are you having so much trouble with this "logic"?

A kid picks MN, it must partially be for the lutefisk. It has to be, because lutefisk is known in MN, and he wants to come to MN, so. . .

Yeah dude they definently aren't picking it for Fleck and his culture.

Sapp: "The acronym for that is "Forget about me, I love you" and that pretty much had me sold on the program."

The thing is helmet schools won't allow him to bring his Row the Boat thing and plasture it everywhere. Can you imagine a place like Auburn or Notre Dame being rebranded like that? That's probably a big deal for him. He also mentions building continuity like Ferentz at Iowa and Alvarez at Wisconsin quite a bit recently.

I hear what you're saying, but I think Notre Dame and Auburn would be totally fine with "Row the Boat" if they were winning. It's like everywhere. He might get more pushback from those places, but those places have "catch phrases" and stuff. The year Auburn went to the NAt'l Championship game (I believe) the players were always saying "All In". Nobody jams the phrases down their throats like PJ, but some people like that stuff. I think if PJ wins (and I think he will), that stuff will go with him. If a helmet school wants him (and I think they will), I think they'd take some of the PJisms.

As far as your last point, yes, PJ said that. So does every coach when they get hired. I hope it's the truth and I'll take his word for it, but it really means nothing.

No, we just don't make character attacks on something we don't know anything about. Not a hard concept.
No attack made. What I did was bring up the possibility that Fleck has not done a good job grieving. Go back and re-read what I wrote.
You have placed Fleck on a pedestal that very few others place him on. It is very hard for you to accept that he may have character flaws.

Bronco, it is possible that Fleck had not done a good job grieving. He put all his efforts into his work at the cost of destroying his marriage. It is possible to use your deceased child in an unhealthy way that feeds your selfishness as you avoid grief. You can even tell yourself that you are honoring your child in the process.
Only Fleck and those close to him know how well he has grieved and how healthy his process has been.
Why, however, does he use such a personal issue to plug his program and process to the media. I think it is perfectly fine to question his motivation.

No, you consistently post like an asshole. Only you yourself can feel like an asshole. No one can make you an asshole. Only you can. Set your aim high and you can succeed.

Don't stop believing.

For me, I'm going to get excited when we put a good product on the field, play elite defense, and destroy, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan. We've been oh so close to turning the corner. We now have elite recruiters and some legit NFL moxie in Bryce Paup. We have Ed Warriner. We have Ciarroca and a guy that isn't afraid to buck convention and ride offensive trends rather than stick to walrus ball because it's always worked in the past. Jury's out on Robb IMO.

Things are genuinely looking up but this is the honeymoon. They need to hit the ground running or the fleckxicon is going to seem pretty empty.

I agree with all of this! It's a fun time to be a Gopher fan.

No attack made. What I did was bring up the possibility that Fleck has not done a good job grieving. Go back and re-read what I wrote.
You have placed Fleck on a pedestal that very few others place him on. It is very hard for you to accept that he may have character flaws.

I haven't put anyone on a pedestal. I also haven't said at nausium that someone has character issues because they got a divorce I know nothing about.

MennoSota this isn't a productive conversation.

This is the same thing as bashing a buddy's girlfriend to him. Literally, the exact same thing.

It's a slogan and oars.

Some people on here acting like they're offend or threatened by it.

The reaction by some about this is beyond ridiculous at this point.

I would call it unwarranted criticism and nitpicking just to troll fans.

Several people have had live changing incidents happen to them that they use for motivation. Do you question the sincerity of a cancer survivor that leads cancer prevention or family health programs? Do you question the sincerity of a parent who's child died in a car accident because of texting, drinking, etc. for being a foster parent, coaching youth programs or educating children about what dangers to avoid? I am not trying to equate Fleck's situation to any of those, just pointing out how you are so quick to question his sincerity and not others.

I agree with your second paragraph. Fleck, has opened up the criticism by using his son as a promotional tool. I don't find it wrong to find ways to remember your child. I find that his use of row the boat does not bring awareness to his son and calls for curing a disease. I find his use entirely self-promoting, which is why I question how well he has grieved.

No, you consistently post like an asshole. Only you yourself can feel like an asshole. No one can make you an asshole. Only you can. Set your aim high and you can succeed.
I don't feel like an asshole, therefore, you are trying make me into an asshole. Your assertion is therefore wrong.
I'm selling pedastals for half price. [emoji41]

It's a slogan and oars.

Some people on here acting like they're offend or threatened by it.

The reaction by some about this is beyond ridiculous at this point.

I would have no issues if your assertion is correct. However, people on this board make it out to be much more.
Keep the oars away from Fleck's deceased son and rtb is nothing more than a quichie saying for promotional purposes.

More sexist BS from you so boring.

It's sexist to say that people blindly defend their boyfriends or girlfriends. LOL

You might be the weirdest beta boy I've ever encountered. God, I hope this is trolling. If so. . .bravo. If not, WOW.

It's sexist to say that people blindly defend their boyfriends or girlfriends. LOL

You might be the weirdest beta boy I've ever encountered. God, I hope this is trolling. If so. . .bravo. If not, WOW.

I think you're a closeted homosexual Bob. I've never seen someone bring up guys being in love with a coach as much as you. It's not good to be a closeted gay lawyer you should get therapy.

I'll give you all day to find a post of mine that places Fleck on a pedastal [sic] or degrades him in any way.

We know you don't like him. We know you think less of him because he chose to end an unhappy marriage. We know you don't believe he should be able to use the acronym FAMILY. We know you think of yourself as morally superior to him.

We also know that you are making incredible leaps to assume that he has not grieved "properly".

Avoidance? My father buried 60% of his sons and my mom before he passed. I've honestly lost count on how many aunts, uncles, cousins and friends I've lost over the years. I've grown up plenty, and you can go and **** yourself.

Donated an oar, they are taking down people's information not sure what for.

I agree with your second paragraph. Fleck, has opened up the criticism by using his son as a promotional tool. I don't find it wrong to find ways to remember your child. I find that his use of row the boat does not bring awareness to his son and calls for curing a disease. I find his use entirely self-promoting, which is why I question how well he has grieved.

Will you just get over yourself! We get it, you are not a PJ fan, but do you have to constantly question his motives and sincerity on everything. Just because you don't understand or don't like someone doesn't mean you have to question it. The way you personally criticize PJ's character reflects more on you than it does him!

I would have no issues if your assertion is correct. However, people on this board make it out to be much more.
Keep the oars away from Fleck's deceased son and rtb is nothing more than a quichie saying for promotional purposes.

Offended or threatened.

Pretty sure we know which one you are.

I think you're a closeted homosexual Bob. I've never seen someone bring up guys being in love with a coach as much as you. It's not good to be a closeted gay lawyer you should get therapy.

Wow- I think I finally figured out that u are a petulant 12 year old preadolescent with this reactionary retort. Unbelievable.

Top Bottom