Spring Game: Oars

Section2

Reaction score
Feel free to delete if this has been discussed, but are people bringing oars? I like the idea in concept, but I don't own any oars, I couldn't build one, and I wouldn't know where to buy one. I hate the thought of Fleck promoting the heck out of this and no one following thru. Sort of like a "gold out" where 90% of the stadium just brings maroon, or whatever blue jacket they have handy.

I have two small ones... kinda thinking of bringing them but generally I'm not sure that is a thing that would be allowed at TCF so....wat?

Print a picture of this and bring it to the game.
2c46b791b00691a57bfa2d5fab01e96d.jpg

I posted this in the "PJ demands you bring an oar" thread:

Fleck was on KFAN for an hour today talking about the Spring Game. He provided some clarity. The plan is to have an artist take all the oars that they get and design a piece of artwork. He made it sound like the ultimate goal is to line the entire outside of the stadium with oars. There's apparently only one entrance to the stadium that's going to be open, and you'll be asked to drop your oar into a bin before you enter.

I posted this in the "PJ demands you bring an oar" thread:

Fleck was on KFAN for an hour today talking about the Spring Game. He provided some clarity. The plan is to have an artist take all the oars that they get and design a piece of artwork. He made it sound like the ultimate goal is to line the entire outside of the stadium with oars. There's apparently only one entrance to the stadium that's going to be open, and you'll be asked to drop your oar into a bin before you enter.

I kinda want to keep my oar though.... for rowing and stuff.

If the "row the boat" thing brings in a million four and five star recruits, I will be very happy. However, I picked up on it pretty quickly when Fleck left Western Michigan to coach at Minnesota: There were "row the boat' and oar references all around Western Michigan. Big banners, stickers. it was everywhere. The locals there took off on it to the point western michigan got legal rights to the "row the boat" mania. And then Fleck was gone. I suspect they are slowly but surely removing all references to "row the boat" now. It is so closely tied to Fleck. I will stick to chants, icons, sayings, and images that are tied directly to the Gophers and the U.

Long story short: I plan to leave my oars up at the cabin.

If the "row the boat" thing brings in a million four and five star recruits, I will be very happy. However, I picked up on it pretty quickly when Fleck left Western Michigan to coach at Minnesota: There were "row the boat' and oar references all around Western Michigan. Big banners, stickers. it was everywhere. The locals there took off on it to the point western michigan got legal rights to the "row the boat" mania. And then Fleck was gone. I suspect they are slowly but surely removing all references to "row the boat" now. It is so closely tied to Fleck. I will stick to chants, icons, sayings, and images that are tied directly to the Gophers and the U.

I couldn't agree more.

This exactly. I'm already tired of RTB because it's not about the UofM, it's about Fleck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This exactly. I'm already tired of RTB because it's not about the UofM, it's about Fleck.

I would think the last time we had a HFC who thought about Minnesota first and himself second would be Joe Salem. We know how that worked out. Did you like the dome?

No oars for me. I have a feeling we'll be getting one vs Buffalo.

I would think the last time we had a HFC who thought about Minnesota first and himself second would be Joe Salem. We know how that worked out. Did you like the dome?

God, you really are in love with Fleck. This makes no sense at all. Who else has brought in their own trademark, and tried to sell it as an iconic school symbol or slogan? No one. The others, leading to varying levels of success or lack thereof, still embraced the school and its history and traditions.

If Fleck leaves, RTB leaves. It's not about the school or program. I hope he is successful and never leaves, and the fears people have about that is stupid, yet let's not pretend RTB is about the U. Embrace The U, and build on our history instead of marketing oneself.

God, you really are in love with Fleck. This makes no sense at all. Who else has brought in their own trademark, and tried to sell it as an iconic school symbol or slogan? No one. The others, leading to varying levels of success or lack thereof, still embraced the school and its history and traditions.

If Fleck leaves, RTB leaves. It's not about the school or program. I hope he is successful and never leaves, and the fears people have about that is stupid, yet let's not pretend RTB is about the U. Embrace The U, and build on our history instead of marketing oneself.

Love, not really. The point was made that Fleck is self-serving. I agree, but I pointed out all HFC are who have been at Minnesota. Except Joe.

Is it that much different from "brick by brick" or "Jerrysota?" Or is the issue just with the fact that he used it at his previous school? Would it be acceptable for him to use some new phrase like "climb the mountain" or "go the distance" instead? I don't really have an issue with his use of "Row the boat." He usually throws a "Ski-U-Mah" in with it anyway. I don't think he's eschewing existing traditions in favor of "Row the boat."

Love, not really. The point was made that Fleck is self-serving. I agree, but I pointed out all HFC are who have been at Minnesota. Except Joe.

No one else went totally another direction like this. Also, while most people are concerned about their future, there are leaders who do that while putting the organization first. I never felt that Kill or Mason, for example, were promoting themselves ahead of the program. They believed the success of the program positioned them well for the future.

Is it that much different from "brick by brick" or "Jerrysota?" Or is the issue just with the fact that he used it at his previous school? Would it be acceptable for him to use some new phrase like "climb the mountain" or "go the distance" instead? I don't really have an issue with his use of "Row the boat." He usually throws a "Ski-U-Mah" in with it anyway. I don't think he's eschewing existing traditions in favor of "Row the boat."

Jerrysota was our marketing department, not Jerry. I didn't like that or Tubby Time. Neither one of them had established enough to be naming student sections after them yet.

And yes, RTB is very different than Brick by Brick. Brick by Brick was a rallying cry that embraced the tradition of the U as Memorial Stadium was called the Brick House. Brick by Brick continued beyond Kill with Claeys and his staff, it didn't leave with Kill. That's very different than bringing your personal trademarked brand.

Is it OK to bring a paddle? I see a lot of pics of paddles. Paddles are not oars. I am not bringing one of my bent shaft paddles - I use them often. I am thinking all area antique shops are going to be depleted of oars. Or, maybe a run on oars at Fleet Farm. I will be interested to see of paddles will be hanging on TCF stadium. You RTB with oars - not paddles. You do not row with paddles - they should not allow paddles. Do you think they will accept paddles? I hope not.

JHC....You Negative Nellie's are so boring. No wonder the program has been in the dark ages so long. This site is filled with tight ass, conservative Norwegians​ that wouldn't​ know a good time unless it was free of charge.My brother-in-law was like that. We use to say the Grand Canyon got started because he dropped a penny in a Gopher hole If my wife and I we're back, we would be bringing down a couple of vintage oars from Ely. I will drop them off at the Bierman Office when we get back. And finally, THE OLD WAY ISN'T WORKING!.

JHC....You Negative Nellie's are so boring. No wonder the program has been in the dark ages so long. This site is filled with tight ass, conservative Norwegians​ that wouldn't​ know a good time unless it was free of charge.My brother-in-law was like that. We use to say the Grand Canyon got started because he dropped a penny in a Gopher hole If my wife and I we're back, we would be bringing down a couple of vintage oars from Ely. I will drop them off at the Bierman Office when we get back. And finally, THE OLD WAY ISN'T WORKING!.

I don't see people being negative, or being anti Fleck. I like a lot of what Fleck is doing. I was at Goldy's Run and loved that he had players there. How he recognized Cashman is a great way to build a team. Still, RTB is stupid.

Couldn't agree more. Everyone is acting so cynically. How dare Fleck have a viable marketing strategy for his program. How dare he have a theme that ties a team & community together & is a "brand" that stands out with recruits? So many people on here that think if you aren't a mild mannered, "aw shucks" kind of country boy that doesn't cause a ruckus, you must be a shameless self promoter. Maybe, and follow me here... maaaaaybe he actually cares about winning & knows how to sell a program & culture. Maybe​ he doesn't think digging for 2 star gems & plugging self inflicted roster holes with jucos is a formula that will get you a Big Ten title. Maybe he's confident in his ability to recruit & is showing it. That's how you get better recruiting classes, which leads to better talent on the field. So I know flash & pizzazz makes a lot of stuffy, conservative types go all cynical. But I want to see a Big Ten title in my life, so if Fleck is the answer, perhaps one would be more concerned with the results than the process. Being pessimistic about a man, before you have any evidence whatsoever of his real intentions, isn't being clever. It's being a cynical putz​.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Didn't buy any "brick by brick" or "jerrysota" shirts. Don't plan on buying anything with RTB on it either.
Minnesota Gopher gear is where it is at, because that is who we all cheer for.

Couldn't agree more. Everyone is acting so cynically. How dare Fleck have a viable marketing strategy for his program. How dare he have a theme that ties a team & community together & is a "brand" that stands out with recruits? So many people on here that think if you aren't a mild mannered, "aw shucks" kind of country boy that doesn't cause a ruckus, you must be a shameless self promoter. Maybe, and follow me here... maaaaaybe he actually cares about winning & knows how to sell a program & culture. Maybe​ he doesn't think digging for 2 star gems & plugging self inflicted roster holes with jucos is a formula that will get you a Big Ten title. Maybe he's confident in his ability to recruit & is showing it. That's how you get better recruiting classes, which leads to better talent on the field. So I know flash & pizzazz makes a lot of stuffy, conservative types go all cynical. But I want to see a Big Ten title in my life, so if Fleck is the answer, perhaps one would be more concerned with the results than the process. Being pessimistic about a man, before you have any evidence whatsoever of his real intentions, isn't being clever. It's being a cynical putz​.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What theme does Saban have at Alabama?
Meyer at OSU? did he bring a theme from Florida or Utah or Bowling Green to each of his other stops?
Ferentz at Iowa?
Chryst at Wisconsin?
Dantonio at MSU?
Fisher at FSU?

The "theme" isn't going to bring success into his recruiting, his assistants, him and winning will have an impact on that.

Meyer at OSU? did he bring a theme from Florida or Utah or Bowling Green to each of his other stops?
Ferentz at Iowa?
Chryst at Wisconsin?
Dantonio at MSU?
Fisher at FSU?

The "theme" isn't going to bring success into his recruiting, his assistants, him and winning will have an impact on that.

All of those schools (besides maybe Wisconsin?) Have built-in fan bases that create all kinds of positive factors that go into making your argument an apples to oranges comparison, imo. If you don't think that "buying in" as a fan base has an affect on the end result, I think your mistaken. I'd imagine that because Western Michigan and the city bought in so much, it created the momentum that eventually got the team to the Cotton Bowl.

Also, remember what he inherited: A bowl winning, fairly succesful team, with lacking fan support and seemingly fading interest by the students and everyone else involved. It's not just winning, it's getting people wanting to come to the game.

Ferentz at Iowa?
Chryst at Wisconsin?
Dantonio at MSU?
Fisher at FSU?

You don't think row the boat has anything to do with his success in recruiting? You're delusional.

And yes, RTB is very different than Brick by Brick. Brick by Brick was a rallying cry that embraced the tradition of the U as Memorial Stadium was called the Brick House. Brick by Brick continued beyond Kill with Claeys and his staff, it didn't leave with Kill. That's very different than bringing your personal trademarked brand.

When did Jerry say he used Brick By Brick because of Memorial Stadium? The closest I can find was the brick pattern on the jerseys, but nothing that says the stadium was the inspiration for this rallying cry.

Continued beyond Kill with Claeys? You realize Claeys was here with Kill, right? Similarly, if Ciarocca takes over for Fleck one day I wouldn't be surprised if some portion of RTB stayed around.

My memory maybe faulty but I sent some money to the U because Hotz was pushing the need for a practice facility. Wasn't that brick related?

The best part about RTB it annoys some many people like you.

Yes, unfortunately that is the best part about it.

Top Bottom