NCAA D1 Council Approves Early Signing Period, Recruiting at Camps

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The tweet is scarce on details, but sounds like there will be a 3-day early-signing period in mid-December. Along with the signing period, official visits will now be allowed in April, May and June before a player's senior year.

coaches to recruit at camps and clinics

Wasn't that always the point?

In reality, yeah. In NCAA-land, I guess not?

Hi, I'm Urban Meyer, you might know me from the national championships I won and THE Ohio St. University.... not that such things would make you want to come to our fine university because today I'm not here to recruit all you guys who I think would make a fine addition to our team...

Hi, I'm Urban Meyer, you might know me from the national championships I won and THE Ohio St. University.... not that such things would make you want to come to our fine university because today I'm not here to recruit all you guys who I think would make a fine addition to our team...

And I am failing in Health University of Florida Urban Meyer and I have cable

And I am failing in Health University of Florida Urban Meyer and I have cable

Bw5lP3mIYAA2tUh.png

I thought the early signing proposal was like in August/September so coaches didn't have to spend their fall season texting, writing, calling, making creative videos to send to all these prospects every day. Plus worrying about their rivals stealing them all season as the other guy goes 10 and 0 or the countless other in season discussions. December is fine but doesn't seem too dramatically helpful to me. They still gotta close the remaining guys for the 45 days left and January is already set up to do that, so a December date doesn't seem too helpful? Help me out... August/September would seem way more beneficial to all because the kid knows he's got a scholarship before his senior season if tears his ACL...in December his high school season is done. He had the pressure of performing all year even he's healthy. Lots of reasons August is a difference maker.

Is this good for us?

Only question I care about.

I suspect it doesn't change much.

MAYBE if you scout super good you can lock a guy up early before the big guys get to them .... but I'm not sure that is a sure deal in payoff, or even ability to lock them up.

I think the official visits in April through June thing is good for us in particular. It's generally pretty damn nice weather up here (at least during May and June) that we couldn't cover travel for previously. We still have to get kids interested enough to spend an official coming here, but at least we can show them a 70-degree day with abundant sunshine in May, instead of a 40-degree overcast day in October, when they come here on our dime.

Is this good for us?

I think in general an early signing period is a good thing. If a kid wants to end the recruiting process they can and it also allows the staff to focus resources on recruiting unsigned players as opposed to worrying about someone coming in and trying to steal away already committed players.

If a kid knows where they want to sign, an early period allows them to make it official. It also allows programs to know going into the final signing period what they have in the bank as far as number of signings and positions. so, if School A wants to sign 3 DB's, and they get 3 to sign early, they can move their attention to other positions. It also lets kids know where they stand. If Recruit X is a WR, and they're choosing between two schools - let's say school A has 2 WR's sign early, while School B doesn't have any WR's in the bank - that could impact the kid's decision on where to sign.

Is this good for us?

Could have been disastrous for us if it were in place this year and handcuffed the number of recruits Fleck was able to attract. Or maybe it would have been enough for him to not be interested.

Could have been disastrous for us if it were in place this year and handcuffed the number of recruits Fleck was able to attract. Or maybe it would have been enough for him to not be interested.

Doubt it would have affected his overall decision but there are always downsides. Overall though I like the idea of kids that want to sign being able to. The coaching change aspect is an interesting one though, not sure if there would be an out for a kid that signs early and then the coach gets fired at the end of the season. Suppose it would fall on the school to release the kid from his commitment.

I see this as good for the following:
Schools who tend to lose players to bigger, better deals (like Minnesota, or non-P5 schools). We'll see more of this as the Gophers move in higher recruiting circles under PJF.
Recruits who want a clearer knowledge of who will and won't be in their class.
Recruits who want to put the whole thing to rest and move on.
Coaches who want to consider recruits officially locked in so they can focus energy on remaining class.

Not so good for:
Coaching change situations. Rough on the new staff with less chance to scramble/poach, and rough on the players who get caught in the wash of a Dec/Jan coach firing, like ours.
Late rising prospects.
Recruits who want to play out the dog and pony show.

I see this as good for the following:
Schools who tend to lose players to bigger, better deals (like Minnesota, or non-P5 schools). We'll see more of this as the Gophers move in higher recruiting circles under PJF.
Recruits who want a clearer knowledge of who will and won't be in their class.
Recruits who want to put the whole thing to rest and move on.
Coaches who want to consider recruits officially locked in so they can focus energy on remaining class.

Not so good for:
Coaching change situations. Rough on the new staff with less chance to scramble/poach, and rough on the players who get caught in the wash of a Dec/Jan coach firing, like ours.
Late rising prospects.
Recruits who want to play out the dog and pony show.

It's good for Recruits who don't want to be left hanging on spring signing day as well as the schools. If both are serious, they get it done early. If not, then someone has work to do or another school to look for.

Here's the official list of rule changes: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...-council-adopts-new-football-recruiting-model

It changes the recruiting calendar to allow for an early signing period in December (effective Aug. 1). Only the Collegiate Commissioners Association can create new National Letter of Intent signing periods.

It adds a period for official visits that begins April 1 of the junior year and ends the Sunday before the last Wednesday in June of that year. Official visits can’t occur in conjunction with a prospect’s participation in a school’s camp or clinic (effective Aug. 1).

It prevents Football Bowl Subdivision schools from hiring people close to a prospective student-athlete for a two-year period before and after the student’s anticipated and actual enrollment at the school. This provision was adopted in men’s basketball in 2010 (effective immediately, though schools may honor contracts signed before Jan. 18, 2017).

Football Bowl Subdivision schools are limited to signing 25 prospective and current student-athletes to a first-time financial aid agreement or a National Letter of Intent. Exceptions exclude current student-athletes who have been enrolled full-time at the school for at least two years and prospective or current student-athletes who suffer an incapacitating injury (effective for recruits who sign after Aug. 1, 2017).

It limits the time for Football Bowl Subdivision coaches to participate in camps and clinics to 10 days in June and July and requires that the camps take place on a school’s campus or in facilities regularly used by the school for practice or competition. Staff members with football-specific responsibilities are subject to the same restrictions. The Football Championship Subdivision can conduct and participate in camps during the months of June and July (effective immediately, though schools may honor contracts signed before Jan. 18, 2017).

It allows coaches employed at a camp or clinic to have recruiting conversations with prospects participating in camps and clinics and requires educational sessions at all camps and clinics detailing initial eligibility standards, gambling rules, agent rules and drug regulations (effective immediately).

It allows Football Bowl Subdivision schools to hire a 10th assistant coach (effective Jan. 9, 2018).

It's good for Recruits who don't want to be left hanging on spring signing day as well as the schools. If both are serious, they get it done early. If not, then someone has work to do or another school to look for.

I think the guys left hanging.... are still the type of guys who get left hanging.

also added. FBS schools can hire a 10th assistant football coach. effective Jan. 9.

I'm sure if a coach is fired or moves on those recruits are freed from their letters. If not, make it so.

I'm sure if a coach is fired or moves on those recruits are freed from their letters. If not, make it so.

With all the NCAA's many rules that allow recruits to back out of things or transfer and such... i'm sure there will be....

How does this new rule impact the cost of recruiting in northern schools away from the recruiting hotbeds?

SEC schools have a considerable advantage because they don't have to fly coaches and recruits long distances. The early official visits ought to help the Gophers. You get more kids interested from the southern recruiting hotbeds to come for a visit early.

Everybody will most likely adjust their recruiting strategies to this new realities.

I'd prefer an earlier NSD like in September. I supposed there are reasons they settled for December. One of them could be early firings of coaches as previously mentioned. The other is what will happen if an erly commitment gets seriously hurt after signing?

Everybody will most likely adjust their recruiting strategies to this new realities.

I'm inclined to agree. The haves vs have nots are all still on the same playing field.

I don't see much if any change.

I think this is great for us. The top helmet schools zero in on the five stars - get some, miss some. Then they go looking for the 4 star and potential 3 star world beaters. In the mean time, we lock up those 4 star "can't miss recruits" that the Alabama /Ohio State/LSU are telling to wait and see who signs. My only caveat would be wth the early signing period, some coaches will be fired after that date. Hopefully the NCAA has an automatic release for those signees whose coaches were fired after the Dec. signing date.

I think this is great for us. The top helmet schools zero in on the five stars - get some, miss some. Then they go looking for the 4 star and potential 3 star world beaters. In the mean time, we lock up those 4 star "can't miss recruits" that the Alabama /Ohio State/LSU are telling to wait and see who signs. My only caveat would be wth the early signing period, some coaches will be fired after that date. Hopefully the NCAA has an automatic release for those signees whose coaches were fired after the Dec. signing date.

I do hope that's the case. Look at what happened with Neil McLaurin. I don't know where he's going to end up and if he'll have to sit out because Fleck didn't want him (not saying there may not have been other factors).

I'm not sure why schools have to wait until Jan 9 2018 to add the 10th assistant. Why would that not be immediate? I don't get what advantage that has to anyone.

(From: Lakeville Goldy's post, I'm not sure why schools have to wait until Jan 9 2018 to add the 10th assistant. Why would that not be immediate? I don't get what advantage that has to anyone.)

I'm ok with it this time only for Sherrels as he needs to get healthy and this would force him to. He has so much gun ho that even his wife I guess has to put the hammer down on him to slow down and get well.

Top Bottom