WR Jornell Manns Commits!

ESPN has now evaluated Manns, giving him highest 3 star rating (79).

What's as important as a touchdown to Jornell Manns? His grades

Most Tyger football fans know Jornell Manns’ numbers on the field – 37 touchdowns and nearly 2,000 total yards gained in his senior season – but many aren’t aware of perhaps his most outstanding number: 4.0.

That’s 4.0 … as in grade-point average … as in straight As.

It’s no fluke that the University of Minnesota recruit, who will receive a coveted statewide award in February, was one of eight Mansfield Senior High seniors to achieve a perfect 4.0 GPA in the semester’s first grading period. He has excelled academically since grade school, applying the same work ethic and determination that led to success between the goal posts.

“I started participating more in class,” Manns said, explaining how he increased his grade-point average from a solid B last year. “Too many people are embarrassed to speak up or read out loud. I’m not.

“I know my teachers. If I have a low A, I ask what I can do to raise it. I don’t want an A minus. I’m always looking to better my grades.”

Manns’ favorite subject is French. He has taken other demanding courses, including Spanish and calculus.

Head football coach Chioke Bradley recalls that Manns completed algebra I as an eighth-grader and achieved the ACT score required by the National Collegiate Athletic Association while still a junior.

“Jornell is a very intelligent human being. He is one of those kids with an ‘old soul’ who grew up at a young age. Those tools made him extremely coachable,” Bradley said.

http://www.tygerpride.com/protected...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Go Gophers!!

Hard worker. Good sign for his future.

I was wondering about this guy. Apparently, he had a torn ACL going into this Spring. Is this someone we should expect to contribute next season?

Last edited:

I was wondering about this guy. Apparently, he had had a torn ACL going into this Spring. Is this someone we should expect to contribute next season?

I'm not sure on his health or much it factored into anything, but he was firmly behind Clay Geary, E. Gibson, and Michael Brown-Stephens during the 2019 Spring Game.

This could absolutely be health-related, just wanted to share the little bit I knew.

I'm not sure on his health or much it factored into anything, but he was firmly behind Clay Geary, E. Gibson, and Michael Brown-Stephens during the 2019 Spring Game.

This could absolutely be health-related, just wanted to share the little bit I knew.

OK, maybe it’s taking him a while longer to make the transition from RB to WR. It’s too bad, because he has elite speed.

Thinking he's been out recruited...

He was never a RB.

Are you sure about that?

His hudl video says WR/DB/RB, so apparently he had WR experience, which is what I had forgotten.

However, in his Senior season, he had 1429 yards rushing and 29 rushing TDs. He only had 545 receiving yards and 7 receiving TDs. You can watch the video if you want. I’m sure he highlighted more of his receiving plays since he was being recruited as a WR, but you can clearly see him lining up in the backfield a lot.

Last edited:

Are you sure about that?

His hudl video says WR/DB/RB, so apparently he had WR experience, which is what I had forgotten.

However, in his Senior season, he had 1429 yards rushing and 29 rushing TDs. He only had 545 receiving yards and 7 receiving TDs. You can watch the video if you want. I’m sure he highlighted more of his receiving plays since he was being recruited as a WR, but you can clearly see him lining up in the backfield a lot.

I stand corrected, he played both.

I don’t think he was available for the spring game. I believe he had major knee injuries in 2018 and 2019. He was definitely an exciting recruit coming in, hopefully he can overcome these injuries.

He is listed as Jornell Brooks II on the roster. I hope he can recover from ACL tear. If he is buried in the depth chart at WR, can they utilize his speed elsewhere?

Likewise, I hope that Jason Williamson is fully healed from his injury too.

Does anyone know if an ACL tear slows down a player's speed after full recovery?

He is listed as Jornell Brooks II on the roster. I hope he can recover from ACL tear. If he is buried in the depth chart at WR, can they utilize his speed elsewhere?

Does anyone know if an ACL tear slows down a player's speed after full recovery?
I would think it shouldn’t affect straight line speed, more of the lateral cutting movements. Although from what I understand ACL surgery techniques are so good these days it doesn’t affect much.

It seemed to slow down Shannon Brooks.

Jornell also missed much of his Junior year in high school with injuries. We need to get him on the field! He’s a similar player to JD Spielman.

I would think it shouldn’t affect straight line speed, more of the lateral cutting movements. Although from what I understand ACL surgery techniques are so good these days it doesn’t affect much.
In my case anyways, having ACL impacted my muscle mass more than anything. You can't work out for a while (or really even walk for a short time), so you lose a lot of muscle in that leg.

Maybe not on topic with this thread but it sounds like Williamson is doing really well. Met some of his friends randomly and they were saying he was back to full speed. Not sure if that includes contact and such (I didn't ask) but they said he said he feels great.

Top Bottom