CNN: Female kicker makes college football history with scholarship

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CNN:

Becca Longo isn't the first woman to play football.

But the senior at Basha High School in Chandler, Arizona, made history when she signed a letter of intent to play football at Adams State University, an NCAA Division II school in Alamosa, Colorado.

It's believed that Longo, 18, is the first female to earn a football scholarship to an NCAA school at the Division II level or higher -- something she had no idea of until a signing ceremony Wednesday at her high school.

"I was completely shocked," Longo told CNN. "Everybody who has it on video said my jaw dropped to the floor."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/13/sport/becca-longo-college-football-scholarship/index.html

Go Gophers!!

per CNN:

Becca Longo isn't the first woman to play football.

But the senior at Basha High School in Chandler, Arizona, made history when she signed a letter of intent to play football at Adams State University, an NCAA Division II school in Alamosa, Colorado.

It's believed that Longo, 18, is the first female to earn a football scholarship to an NCAA school at the Division II level or higher -- something she had no idea of until a signing ceremony Wednesday at her high school.

"I was completely shocked," Longo told CNN. "Everybody who has it on video said my jaw dropped to the floor."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/13/sport/becca-longo-college-football-scholarship/index.html

Go Gophers!!

I wonder if she will join the Alpha Beta fraternity.

I didn't wanna say it.

Clap your hands everybody, and everybody clap your hands. We're Lambda Lambda Lambda and Omega Mu. We come here on stage tonight to do our show for you. We got a rockin' rhythm and a hi-tech sound that'll make you move your body down to the ground. We got Poindexter on the violin, and Lewis and Gilbert will be joining in. We got Booger Presley on the mean guitar and a rap by little ol' me Lamar. We got Takashi beating on his gong, the boys and the Mu's are clapping along. And just when you thought, ya seen it all, along comes a Lambda four foot tall. So Wormser come on out here on the floor, so we can move our bodies, like never before. Break!

I'm not gonna lie, as a soccer player my whole life, it was my dream to be the Kathy Ireland and kick for a football team. I always thought I could kick better than our kicker in high school...except for the whole 11 guys coming after you to tackle you part :). Kudos to her!

I'm not gonna lie, as a soccer player my whole life, it was my dream to be the Kathy Ireland and kick for a football team. I always thought I could kick better than our kicker in high school...except for the whole 11 guys coming after you to tackle you part :). Kudos to her!

All she'll need is a giant Polynesian player guarding the shower after games.

Happy to see it myself. I've always been a proponent of integrating sports entirely, even though it'll never happen in my lifetime. Glad to see someone given the opportunity. Best of luck to her and every other college player.

Yeah, but you would have had 10 of "your" guys blocking for you. Advantage Nadine!;) I am happy for her as well. Hopefully the program thinks this through and has protections for her if needed. Hopefully she well be treated well.

Her thing should be that she never actually kicks, they fake it every time and she runs it in.

Back in High School my wife asked to try out to be the kicker. The football coach told her "You can kick better than our kicker but I don't even want to think how we would deal with high school boys and one girl on a football team."

Back in High School my wife asked to try out to be the kicker. The football coach told her "You can kick better than our kicker but I don't even want to think how we would deal with high school boys and one girl on a football team."

My old high school has a girl kicking now...think she might punt as well.

If girls can play boys sports, then boys can play girls sports. Otherwise it is called discrimination. Good bye girls in girls sports. Sad

I guess I am older, I was thinking Helen Hunt.

I didn't wanna say it.

Clap your hands everybody, and everybody clap your hands. We're Lambda Lambda Lambda and Omega Mu. We come here on stage tonight to do our show for you. We got a rockin' rhythm and a hi-tech sound that'll make you move your body down to the ground. We got Poindexter on the violin, and Lewis and Gilbert will be joining in. We got Booger Presley on the mean guitar and a rap by little ol' me Lamar. We got Takashi beating on his gong, the boys and the Mu's are clapping along. And just when you thought, ya seen it all, along comes a Lambda four foot tall. So Wormser come on out here on the floor, so we can move our bodies, like never before. Break!

Those Mu's sure know how to party

If girls can play boys sports, then boys can play girls sports. Otherwise it is called discrimination. Good bye girls in girls sports. Sad

Last I checked we didn't have a division one women's football and believe it or not there's more to soccer than kicking a ball far

It's not entirely new I was a swimmer and diver in high school an occasionally competed against female divers. The early 70's were pre Title IX and there were not many girls swim teams. The HS League (another state) allowed girls to compete on boys teams if there was no equivalent girls teams. There's no reason to exclude a woman if they can do it.

Props to all the Revenge of the Nerds references in here (and also the highly underrated Necessary Roughness)

:cool02:

It's not entirely new I was a swimmer and diver in high school an occasionally competed against female divers. The early 70's were pre Title IX and there were not many girls swim teams. The HS League (another state) allowed girls to compete on boys teams if there was no equivalent girls teams. There's no reason to exclude a woman if they can do it.

Not my point. If girls can play boys sports--as football, and there is no equivalent girls program, then boys can play girls sports as volleyball. Good bye volleyball girls.

Top Bottom