ESPN on Fleck's yr 1 at U: "It could be challenging...likely could be transition yr"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
ESPN on Fleck's yr 1 at U: "It could be challenging...likely could be transition yr"

per Brian Bennett's Q&A:

@MrHooterz: @BennettESPN @ESPN_BigTen Thoughts on how well Fleck's first season with my gophers go?

Brian Bennett: It could be challenging. Minnesota has had between four and six healthy offensive linemen this spring, which is a giant red flag. There's almost no experience at quarterback. The roster is very young, and this is a major culture change with an entirely new staff.

The situation is far different than when P.J. Fleck took over Western Michigan, but his first season in Kalamazoo resulted in a 1-11 record for the Broncos. So it took some time for him to work his magic. The Golden Gophers won nine games last season and have some dynamic playmakers at running back in Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks, so this is not a major rebuild. Still, I think it very likely could be a transition year.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...se-minnesotas-outlook-akrum-wadleys-potential

Go Gophers!!

People are allergic to the transition year term... don't ever say that.

Not going to worry about the OL till fall. We'll be all right at QB. Mitch was a class act, but was a very average QB.

Yet no one on the team was able to surpass him...

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about that. Guys can grow but ... still concerned.

Mitch's ability to get to the edge of winning and at times fall short could be replaced by someone who can't even get to that edge.

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about that. Guys can grow but ... still concerned.

Mitch's ability to get to the edge of winning and at times fall short could be replaced by someone who can't even get to that edge.

or it could be replaced by someone who gets to the edge of winning and surpasses it. Concerned slightly, but have faith that PJF and Ciarrocca will develop good to great play from our QB, starting this fall.

I think a more seasoned Croft could have passed him..

Not saying he was necessarily a lot better (or he would have played), but I still believe there was a big effort to Red-shirt Croft last year unless absolutely necessary not to. I don't think the need not to ever arose and likely he didn't give the coaches enough reason to reconsider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not saying he was necessarily a lot better (or he would have played), but I still believe there was a big effort to Red-shirt Croft last year unless absolutely necessary not to. I don't think the need not to ever arose and likely he didn't give the coaches enough reason to reconsider.

True, but if they felt Croft gave them the best chance to win I would hope that Claeys would have played him. Especially when you've got Green and Williams that were at the time the next faces of the program right behind Croft, making Croft's RS year much more expendable.

Also, I don't see them going after McLaurin if they were convinced Croft (or Green or Williams) was going to start this year. Doesn't mean Croft (or Green) can't or won't be good, but the previous staff thought so much of the current QB's that they pulled Rhoda's scholarship and signed a JUCO to at least compete if not start, but yet so many people think it's a slam dunk that the next QB will be an improvement, even though they couldn't beat out Mitch Leidner head to head.

I don't think next year will be a disaster, I fully expect Bowl eligibility, but I also will be surprised if they don't drop a couple games they "shouldn't". So yeah, I agree with Bennett to an extent that it will be a transition year.

or it could be replaced by someone who gets to the edge of winning and surpasses it. Concerned slightly, but have faith that PJF and Ciarrocca will develop good to great play from our QB, starting this fall.

I hope they do, but it is hard to imagine someone who was here last year really surpasses Mitch just because they got some more practice time.

The last staff went and got a juco qb... not sure that was a big vote of confidence.

I guess we should assume the last staff was horrible with QBs and wouldn't know any better but I'm not sure I buy that.

And they still won 9 games. Pretty remarkable huh?

I agree completely. If PJ can't guide the Gophers into a 4th place position in the west and not win a trophy game he is a complete loser. Very remarkable!!!!

True, but if they felt Croft gave them the best chance to win I would hope that Claeys would have played him. Especially when you've got Green and Williams that were at the time the next faces of the program right behind Croft, making Croft's RS year much more expendable.

Also, I don't see them going after McLaurin if they were convinced Croft (or Green or Williams) was going to start this year. Doesn't mean Croft (or Green) can't or won't be good, but the previous staff thought so much of the current QB's that they pulled Rhoda's scholarship and signed a JUCO to at least compete if not start, but yet so many people think it's a slam dunk that the next QB will be an improvement, even though they couldn't beat out Mitch Leidner head to head.

I don't think next year will be a disaster, I fully expect Bowl eligibility, but I also will be surprised if they don't drop a couple games they "shouldn't". So yeah, I agree with Bennett to an extent that it will be a transition year.

All this makes sense. Maybe I just want to believe that Croft is a star in waiting. I do think it is possible they thought he was as good as ML7 last year, but likely not better.
As for McL - he fit the style they wanted to play. Croft is not a true dual threat QB and did not. Rhoda even further away from that.

All this makes sense. Maybe I just want to believe that Croft is a star in waiting. I do think it is possible they thought he was as good as ML7 last year, but likely not better.
As for McL - he fit the style they wanted to play. Croft is not a true dual threat QB and did not. Rhoda even further away from that.

True, but even ML7's dual threat was a lot less of a threat as his career went on due to injuries or whatever...

Granted the style match point still stands, just not sure there was really a payoff there vs say another guy.

I also have huge hopes for Demry and hope that he can take a big step forward because I don't have high hopes for the season if Rhoda is the qb.
As far as the why he couldn't beat out Mitch talk. I don't think it's that big of stretch to think a true sophomore qb couldn't significantly outplay an average 5th year qb enough to beat him out of his spot, but yet still has the potential and talent to develop into a significantly better quarterback.

I think there are lots of reasons Mitch was the quarterback and most of them are intangibles. The staff, Tracy especially was loyal to Mitch. The loved his toughness and leadership. He played hurt. They could depend on him. All those kinds of things. Rhoda didn't fit their preferred offense. Demry is inconsistent, he can get you beat. I think we'll be just fine with Rhoda. Demry might emerge but I think Rhoda will provide better leadership and consistency. It's a different offense run by guys who I think will take better advantage of what the quarterback can do well. Their offense has a lot of short quick throws. Tanner Morgan is short in height. So, I think it's a two horse race and Rhoda wins but I do believe we'll be fine with either guy.
It certainly sounds like PJ is telling the next year's incoming QB he's got a shot to make it his team. Another nudge to Rhoda. All speculation.

I don't want to throw gas onto the Claeys vs Fleck fire, but IMO Kill/Claeys could recognize leadership in Mitch that they didn't see in the others, Fleck IMO believes he can teach leadership to someone who is receptive to his "culture" and wouldn't have limited his selection process to the only guy who had leadership without having to teach him how to be a leader.

I don't want to throw gas onto the Claeys vs Fleck fire, but IMO Kill/Claeys could recognize leadership in Mitch that they didn't see in the others, Fleck IMO believes he can teach leadership to someone who is receptive to his "culture" and wouldn't have limited his selection process to the only guy who had leadership without having to teach him how to be a leader.

Leadership is a thing but if a guy can throw the ball... I bet any coach would play him, even if he was all "awe shucks" Eli Manning.

Not sure anyone is ever passing on someone who can throw the ball.

per Brian Bennett's Q&A:

@MrHooterz: @BennettESPN @ESPN_BigTen Thoughts on how well Fleck's first season with my gophers go?

Brian Bennett: It could be challenging. Minnesota has had between four and six healthy offensive linemen this spring, which is a giant red flag. There's almost no experience at quarterback. The roster is very young, and this is a major culture change with an entirely new staff.

The situation is far different than when P.J. Fleck took over Western Michigan, but his first season in Kalamazoo resulted in a 1-11 record for the Broncos. So it took some time for him to work his magic. The Golden Gophers won nine games last season and have some dynamic playmakers at running back in Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks, so this is not a major rebuild. Still, I think it very likely could be a transition year.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...se-minnesotas-outlook-akrum-wadleys-potential

Go Gophers!!

Regardless of who the head coach was this year the part in bold above was going to be a massive question mark for this team heading into the season. Defense should (even with the hit the defensive backfield took) be solid, but the offense is really an unknown outside of the RB position. And while we have some definite weapons at the RB position they will have a hard time succeeding if the line doesn't get healthy.

This would have been a transition year on offense with or without the coaching change, hopefully Fleck and his crew can get things rolling quickly with the existing personnel. I know Jerry wants to say this should be our best team but not really sure how anyone can predict huge things for a team that has no proven experience at the QB position. Unless of course that person wants to do whatever he can to try and torpedo the staff that took over after his regime....but good ole Jer wouldn't do something like that.

Warinner, the offensive line coach, who is one of the best, if not the best in college football (and could be a coach in the NFL), doesn't seem worried about the offensive line in the video posted by Nadine. He seemed very calm and confident actually about the situation.

He returns four guys (a rs senior, a senior, and two rs juniors) who started on an o-line that ranked fifth in the Big Ten in rushing (2nd in West) and was just behind Nebraska for the league lead in pass pro. Big (6'4", 6'4, 6'4, 6'7), physically mature (non updated weights of 305, 320, 330, 345) guys with experience.

He also returns three guys who are now upperclassmen as rs sophs who got game experience. Very good reports on Connelly out of Red Wing who has filled out his 6'7 frame nicely and moves nicely. Dovich and Oseland at 6'5 and 6'6 both big kids who had some nice offers, especially Oseland (MSU, MissState, IL, IN, OR, Okie State, CAL, Utah, NCSU, ASU, KY, CIN, SYR). Kid has skills.

That is 7 of the top ten returning.

Plus 2 redshirts come off Olson and Schlueter. Very good reports on Olson out of Monticello. Could be your starting center. Schlueter is another big framed kid at 6'6 and was a big recruiting get (staying home with an early (April) commitment, passing on WI, NW, MSU, Louisville, Cyclones).

Redshirt also off Ryan Just who is a juco walk on (6'4, 290) in his fourth year...he played on RCTC team that went to juco Natty game.

in addition to the returning ten above, they just added a juco out of California who will be a sophomore with college experience. He is here in May so will get up to speed and in the s and c program early.

Also bringing in Blaise Andries (offers from NE, NW, PSU, MSU, IL, OK, FL, Miami, Arky, OR, TCU, MO, AZ, KS, UVA, Vandy, SYR, Duke, ISU, CSU). These good freshmen come in ready to go. Also added number one ranked center in midwest in Schmitz and Sassack, who Fleck got on very early. Fleck said he had Big Ten and SEC offers but stuck with him in change.

That is a good 14 offensive linemen. Two walk on frosh will add numbers allowing a three deep rotation. Rousemiller turned down FCS money to walk on out of Lakeville.

Fleck is an incredible recruiter. He may yet add a grad transfer, late juco, or an underlooked high school guy (Abojei eligibility?). He might decide he already has too many oline numbers already coming in 6 weeks here.

Bart Miller did a nice job last year with the three new jucos and Weyler. All those guys will be more seasoned. The three injured ones aren't recovering from major knee surgery or broken bones (foot, shoulder, tricep). Sounds like some could even be going now and all will be working out this Summer and ready for August. They played through some injuries last year; hopefully they will be better physically this year.

The strength and coach staff are elite so expect less injuries and stronger, more flexible play from returning oline guys.

The practices are run much faster and intensely so the oline will be better conditioned and prepared for stress.

Better motivation is a given with Fleck.

The oline doesn't have to be great with two superb running backs and a fourth year big back all returning (plus two frosh speedsters and Femi-Cole).

The oline also benefits from having fifth year te Wozniak, a fourth year te Lingen, two third year tes in Beebe and Witham, a second year guy in Kieft and three frshmen...two who are supposed to be very good blockers. Don't forget te coach Callahan was co o-line coach of the year at WMU.

The biggest benefit for the oline will be a modern offense...it wont be stubborn two tes, two backs, and stack the line against us, rutm no matter what. The Rock will create much more space and much fewer stacked boxes for the oline this year.

Ok, which of you is @Mrhooterz? PJ, that you? Hundreds or thousands of emails to choose from (ok, tens?) and he taps Mr Hooterz for his illustrious column? have we no civility??

Swing man, wholeheartedly agree. There is every reason to think the line will be anywhere between serviceable to very good depending on injuries. Plenty of talent.

We've had so much bad luck in the injury dept in recent seasons were conditioned to expect a mass casualty event every week. Sure, it could come to pass we're starting walk-ons off the street in week 9 but that is very, very unlikely.

Warinner, the offensive line coach, who is one of the best, if not the best in college football (and could be a coach in the NFL), doesn't seem worried about the offensive line in the video posted by Nadine. He seemed very calm and confident actually about the situation.

He returns four guys (a rs senior, a senior, and two rs juniors) who started on an o-line that ranked fifth in the Big Ten in rushing (2nd in West) and was just behind Nebraska for the league lead in pass pro. Big (6'4", 6'4, 6'4, 6'7), physically mature (non updated weights of 305, 320, 330, 345) guys with experience.

He also returns three guys who are now upperclassmen as rs sophs who got game experience. Very good reports on Connelly out of Red Wing who has filled out his 6'7 frame nicely and moves nicely. Dovich and Oseland at 6'5 and 6'6 both big kids who had some nice offers, especially Oseland (MSU, MissState, IL, IN, OR, Okie State, CAL, Utah, NCSU, ASU, KY, CIN, SYR). Kid has skills.

That is 7 of the top ten returning.

Plus 2 redshirts come off Olson and Schlueter. Very good reports on Olson out of Monticello. Could be your starting center. Schlueter is another big framed kid at 6'6 and was a big recruiting get (staying home with an early (April) commitment, passing on WI, NW, MSU, Louisville, Cyclones).

Redshirt also off Ryan Just who is a juco walk on (6'4, 290) in his fourth year...he played on RCTC team that went to juco Natty game.

in addition to the returning ten above, they just added a juco out of California who will be a sophomore with college experience. He is here in May so will get up to speed and in the s and c program early.

Also bringing in Blaise Andries (offers from NE, NW, PSU, MSU, IL, OK, FL, Miami, Arky, OR, TCU, MO, AZ, KS, UVA, Vandy, SYR, Duke, ISU, CSU). These good freshmen come in ready to go. Also added number one ranked center in midwest in Schmitz and Sassack, who Fleck got on very early. Fleck said he had Big Ten and SEC offers but stuck with him in change.

That is a good 14 offensive linemen. Two walk on frosh will add numbers allowing a three deep rotation. Rousemiller turned down FCS money to walk on out of Lakeville.

Fleck is an incredible recruiter. He may yet add a grad transfer, late juco, or an underlooked high school guy (Abojei eligibility?). He might decide he already has too many oline numbers already coming in 6 weeks here.

Bart Miller did a nice job last year with the three new jucos and Weyler. All those guys will be more seasoned. The three injured ones aren't recovering from major knee surgery or broken bones (foot, shoulder, tricep). Sounds like some could even be going now and all will be working out this Summer and ready for August. They played through some injuries last year; hopefully they will be better physically this year.

The strength and coach staff are elite so expect less injuries and stronger, more flexible play from returning oline guys.

The practices are run much faster and intensely so the oline will be better conditioned and prepared for stress.

Better motivation is a given with Fleck.

The oline doesn't have to be great with two superb running backs and a fourth year big back all returning (plus two frosh speedsters and Femi-Cole).

The oline also benefits from having fifth year te Wozniak, a fourth year te Lingen, two third year tes in Beebe and Witham, a second year guy in Kieft and three frshmen...two who are supposed to be very good blockers. Don't forget te coach Callahan was co o-line coach of the year at WMU.

The biggest benefit for the oline will be a modern offense...it wont be stubborn two tes, two backs, and stack the line against us, rutm no matter what. The Rock will create much more space and much fewer stacked boxes for the oline this year.

Swing....you give us awesome reports.

Top Bottom