Sid Hartman: Pastor-trainer helps Gophers' linebacker Cashman

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

There’s always a long line of people that help college athletes reach their potential. For Gophers linebacker Blake Cashman, there was a unique situation with Jeff Warner, a co-pastor, along with his wife, Julie, at The Rock Church in Burnsville.

Warner is the father of Cashman’s former Eden Prairie football teammate Hunter Warner, now a defenseman with the Iowa Wild. One day when Cashman was playing strong safety for Eden Prairie, Jeff Warner saw him and said he knew Cashman was going to be a star.

“I saw Blake in high school and he was a great football player,” Jeff Warner said. “He was undersized and he had great speed and great agility. I noticed they were playing him at the wrong position, they had him at strong safety. … Everybody talked about my son and they talked about another guy, and I told my wife, ‘[Cashman is] the best athlete on the field.’ ”

Cashman and Jeff Warner eventually started talking, and Warner offered to help him with physical training. Cashman recalled their early interactions.

“I got to know [Hunter Warner] and his family really well,” Cashman said. “His dad actually told me that he wanted to start training me, so I started training with him. He was getting me big and strong and getting ready for college football. Then he actually invited me to his church where he’s a preacher there. I started going there, and it has been great ever since.”

http://www.startribune.com/pastor-t...man-convert-to-standout-linebacker/419332884/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom